• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SnoWest magazine: Yamaha 2017: Everything You Need to Know About the Sidewinder M-TX

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
But they can do both,that's the issue most people have,they can make this sled allot lighter with some simple things.
Smaller lighter seat,that 30lbs chaincase,the hood & panels look way better not sure if lighter.
I can keep going but you get what Iam talking about,at this point I won't buy another yammi till they address some of the weight.

YOU ARE 100% CORRECT, and I FULLY AGREE.
They could.
But for whatever reason they have chosen NOT TO.
They are just not interested, motivated, concerned about it.
And if we keep beating our heads against the Weight Loss Wall, we just give ourselves a massive headache and the wall doesn't care.:frusty:

RX1MountainMan

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Harlowton, MT
Curious what you didn't like about the pro climb chassis if you like the pro. Rider position steering and other things are similar between the two. I've ridden both and find them similar. Being a bigger person I just like the stronger chassis. Thirty pound weight penalty is worth it. And my biggest pet peeve with my current sled is the snow and ice buildup and the Polaris is bad also with that. Pro climb is a very clean chassis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just didn't jive, it seemed like they were fighting me or I was fighting them...and I am not huge by any stretch but I can throw my Apex around quite easily...that and I WAS a diehard Cat fan but didn't have very good luck with them...

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
lets see a picture of it upside down and not leaking oil???

Hopefully people wont HAVE to rely on the aftermarket again for something that should have been resolved from the factory 14 years ago..................

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Roll over valve?

Any 4S will push oil into the intake unless a rollover valve is installed, nature of the beast. Try rolling your pickup onto it's roof for 10-15 min, flop it back on it's wheels, and see how that goes for you. The rollover valve is inexpensive, easy to install, and is safer, because it makes you wear a tether... a boosted 4S's track spinning at mach stupid will remove riding gear and flesh pretty damn quick...

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
"The B-TX series is for low elevation boondockers who want a 153” track length and a narrower ski-stance than traditional deep snow models"

The BTX is wider..

I'm curious if the sled will choke itself out in deep snow.. With the air intake being so low.. I can see this causing issues down the road..
I wish Yamaha did a Sidewinder 153 MTX LE. I don't want the wide ski stance of the BTX, and I love the LE color options. Oh well. Guess I'll wait until next year for a new sled.

Last edited:

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Not the intake.

"The B-TX series is for low elevation boondockers who want a 153” track length and a narrower ski-stance than traditional deep snow models"

The BTX is wider..

I'm curious if the sled will choke itself out in deep snow.. With the air intake being so low.. I can see this causing issues down the road..
I wish Yamaha did a Sidewinder 153 MTX LE. I don't want the wide ski stance of the BTX, and I love the LE color options. Oh well. Guess I'll wait until next year for a new sled.
The lower opening is where the intercooler is situated. the air intakes are up higher, towards the rear of the hood.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
The article mentions that there will be a cold air intake kit as an accessory to aid with pressure loss over 10,000 ft. I'm sure that will be a standard accessory to order with the sled

A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
When is everyone going to finally figure it out

ITS NOT ABOUT THE WEIGHT!

It is about weight and the porkers they keep producing is one of the main reasons they are firmly locked in 4th place for sales. Mountain sleds are supposed to be light and agile. Getting stuck and having to lift them out of a hole, riding aggressively, and being able to float over the snow all require light weight. The Sidewinder MT-X is just a lake racer hyper sled with a long track. It breaks no new ground and will only appeal to a very small segment of the market which has already been served with the 1100T and the turbo'd Vipers.

I've ridden two 1100T's in the mountains side my side with my lowly 600 RMK. They had amazing power but that was it. They were front heavy, slow to respond when trying lay it over from one side to another and they took a lot more effort to throw around. Not my kind of sled but I guess if all you do is point and shoot hill climbs in open areas then it worked really well at that. I was happy to get back on my sled as it was so easy to throw around and more fun to ride.

It's too bad that every new Yamaha they've released since the Nytro has been heavier than the model before it. They are going in the wrong direction with both weight and cost.

I should add I went the 4-stroke route for around 6 years and went back to two strokes due to the weight and Yamaha's inability to make a good handling chassis.

Last edited:
M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
So I was just reading the sidewinder has no front rad.. and has a full length tunnel heat exchanger.. this thing must be 40 pounds heavier than a viper and will be even worse once the snow and ice builds up under the tunnel..

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
One thing I noticed is yammi now has priority delivery on snow checks so you get them first.
Thanks yammi for stepping up & showing some appreciation to loyal customers.

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
So I was just reading the sidewinder has no front rad.. and has a full length tunnel heat exchanger.. this thing must be 40 pounds heavier than a viper and will be even worse once the snow and ice builds up under the tunnel..

Also how is the intercooler going to work when its packed full of snow?:face-icon-small-con Looks to be in the worst place you could possibly put it.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Also how is the intercooler going to work when its packed full of snow?:face-icon-small-con Looks to be in the worst place you could possibly put it.
It will likely work better with snow on the intercooler. On My M1100T, I left the screen off and actually ran a carbon fiber scoop (from EVO) to encourage snow collection on the intercooler. I didn't run a charge air temp sensor, but sled feels snappier. Remember if charge temps get high, the ECU will pull timing to protect the engine (at least on the cat). I would imagine Yamaha is the same way...
One will want to add some protection to the front end though - wouldn't take much to damage it in it's location.

Prairie Dog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Beautiful BC

It'll probly work better than the inter cooler on the Mcx viper.......air had to get through the rad then it would hit the inter cooler.

F
...the sidewinder has no front rad.. and has a full length tunnel heat exchanger.
This will benefit the trail & cross over segment the most. The radiator is the secondary, not the primary, cooling source. Riding fresh groomed, hard as a rock trails, at 35-45mph, my 2014 XF7000 will hover in that 185-195 degree range. Drop the scratchers and we're back to 164 - 170 degrees, gauge mid point, that I like to see. The full length heat exchanger should perform better for us gauge watching trail riders.

Premium Features