• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

OFFICIAL 2017 YAMAHA TURBO REVEAL!!

D

Drifter

Dec 16, 2007
Wow the engineering in this thing is incredible. Yamaha may not be the lightest but who really cares. Grab a hold of this bad boy and go climb a mountain. The weight thing is just plain getting old. Go have fun and come home day after day year after year. Reliable dependable powerful and yes heavier because a 4 stroke just is. No tinkering no blown pistons or crankcase. This thing would be great for wide open riding, climbing and high marking.

Try riding it in trees all day. Come home tired and wake up sore.
That being said I would like to try one. You never know it might be the ticket.

D

Drifter

Dec 16, 2007
So long as people keep chanting WEIGHT WEIGHT WEIGHT, they are going to be disapointed.

Weight is simply NOT the Holy Grail for Yamaha.

They are much more interested in other aspects of the sled, as they have shown us over and over and over again in the past several years.

And that's why they sell hardly any sleds out west.

JackSprat

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2010
Northern Calirado
Thoughts;

Nice engine package!:jaw:
:bounce:
Minus the total engine refinement/package (which sounds/looks killer), It's still the same platform as my 15 LE MPI 162' 3'.
:juggle:
I'm thinking I'll wait to re-up until they have some time with this engine combination and Yamaha releases a new chassis.:face-icon-small-win

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Yamaha NEVER EVER lists weights.

...hmmmm....yamaha lists weights for their dirt bikes, side by sides, AND atv's! Hell, they EVEN list a weight for their F'n pianos! ...but yet, they "NEVER EVER" list a weight for their sleds?

...I CHALLENGE SNO WEST, AND CHRISTOPHER, to put one of these sleds on a scale! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ACTUALLY report the news, instead of passing on what a manufacturer WANTS you to post!

Ace

K45

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2010
Now that we have a PURPOSE BUILT TURBO ENGINE, just imagine where the after market will go with it.

Not being a smart azz but so was the Cat 1100T and that thing was a turd in I.M.H.O.

Pretty sure the after market can get some big power out of the viper, mine even runs......

Getting the weight off gets expensive....

K45

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2010
Knowing Yamaha bikes I suspect this motor would work fine at 300 hp on race fuel, then some lightweight bits here and there :eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows:

Same as all the other previous Yamaha sleds, spend BIG $$$$$ for big power and lightweight parts and in one year lose your azz when you dump it for a light 2 stroke.......

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
EXACTLY. The engine I would imagine could easily handle 220-250hp I imagine and without a whole bunch of new hardware. Should save aftermarket guys a whole bunch of money.
Next year should see a FLURRY of activity from the aftermarket Turbo Boys.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Nice engine package!:jaw:
:bounce:
Minus the total engine refinement/package (which sounds/looks killer), It's still the same platform as my 15 LE MPI 162' 3'.
:juggle:
I'm thinking I'll wait to re-up until they have some time with this engine combination and Yamaha releases a new chassis.:face-icon-small-win
as far as engines go, Yamaha is probably the safest bet for a brand new motor design.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
...hmmmm....yamaha lists weights for their dirt bikes, side by sides, AND atv's! Hell, they EVEN list a weight for their F'n pianos! ...but yet, they "NEVER EVER" list a weight for their sleds?

...I CHALLENGE SNO WEST, AND CHRISTOPHER, to put one of these sleds on a scale! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ACTUALLY report the news, instead of passing on what a manufacturer WANTS you to post!

Ace

You know it will get weighed just as soon as someone gets their hands on it.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Gotta say I'm real impressed with what Yamaha has done on the new turbo set up. Ground up motor build specific for a turbo. And all those controls to make sure you don't blow it to kingdom come with a bad load of fuel. They put a lot of thought and engineering into that motor.

I would say this thing will run way better than the turbo cat sled for sure.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lZAZSeq7ea8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
B-TX had to be developed for the 60% of their M-TX market in the "Atlantic" market. And it's the doo 1200 killer - that's their growth market. Great way to leverage a 153 tunnel/chassis. Gotta love the motor tech.

Great stuff Christopher. The Yammy OEM industry info is very cool. Thanks.

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
Im sure it will be another high quality Yamaha sled. But the demand just isn't there for it in the MTNs. Yamaha needs to offer this boosted 4 stroke AND a 2 stroke, they could possibly have the best of both worlds if they did.

Premium Features