• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Barcode 36" wide Viper/Proclimb kits in, ready to ship.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
I just watched a review on the 2017 sled lineups and one of the guys said the new Sidewinder MTX is just a point and shoot sled. It didn't do very well in the trees. It makes me wonder why? I must be missing something here because I feel like my Viper does just as well in the trees as the two strokes do. I also, feel mine does much better at higher altitudes, now that's me comparing my turbo sled vs naturally aspirated two strokes, so it might not be fair in comparison. I think with the new Sidewinder at 10k feet vs a stock two stroke would not be close in comparison due the decrease HP with altitude of the two strokes. At 10k most 2 strokes have from 105-115 HP. Even with the extra weight of the Sidewinder 90hp more is a huge differences. Am I wrong?

Is there anything you've done to correct for the heavy steering feeling? I've done the stiffer center track spring, it helped a little bit. I went to Poo Gripper skis, that helped a little bit, but its still move than my shoulders like. Going thru the trees in a packed track in spring snow is about more than my shoulders can take!!

Also, how much difference does the +5" forward make? I was thinking of doing the Zbroz 36" front end (they are local to me).

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
I haven't done anything to correct it. I've ordered a heavy spring for the center shock that I'm looking forward too. In wet/heavy snow it's harder to turn if you have both skis on the snow and you turn the handlebars in the direction you want to go. I assume the center spring upgrade will help with mine. Now with the Barcode front suspension it has made it easier and more predictable to turn and maintain the sled on it's side for longer periods of time, which has helped me with counter-steering in all snow condition, especially in harder snow. How many times do you see someone on a 6% or greater graded slope trying to turn up? I usually see people with both feet on the uphill running board, with skis pointed uphill, moving slow and struggling to prevent the sled from tipping downhill. With heavy sleds this is harder to do due to the increased ski pressure. It's much easier to turn uphill by counter-steering and tipping the sled to the uphill and throttle up. The barcode front suspension has made this effortless for me, which in turn has changed the way I ride. Even in the trees.

Is there anything you've done to correct for the heavy steering feeling? I've done the stiffer center track spring, it helped a little bit. I went to Poo Gripper skis, that helped a little bit, but its still move than my shoulders like. Going thru the trees in a packed track in spring snow is about more than my shoulders can take!!

Also, how much difference does the +5" forward make? I was thinking of doing the Zbroz 36" front end (they are local to me).

Last edited:
S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com

We put the EVO upper arms and the 2016 spindles on our red viper and WOW what a difference. It really does feel like power steering. I assume barcode does the same.

If you put the stiffer front skid shock spring in reduce the pressure you ran in the rear to balance out the sled. I suspect with stock spring you may have been north of 130 pounds in the rear shock, let it down to 110 and give the skid shock a turn or two on the adjustment collars. I am 165 pounds and I run 90 to 100 in the rear. PM me for in depth information if you need it..

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
We put the EVO upper arms and the 2016 spindles on our red viper and WOW what a difference. It really does feel like power steering. I assume barcode does the same.

If you put the stiffer front skid shock spring in reduce the pressure you ran in the rear to balance out the sled. I suspect with stock spring you may have been north of 130 pounds in the rear shock, let it down to 110 and give the skid shock a turn or two on the adjustment collars. I am 165 pounds and I run 90 to 100 in the rear. PM me for in depth information if you need it..

Not evo, Zbroz.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I wish more kits would adapt the new spindle, or design their own. After using the 16 spindle on the 38inch zbroz kit, I really don't want to go back to the old spindle to get a further forward design. I guess I'll probably buy a skinz kit.

Realistically I bet it is a very minimal difference in performance (15 spindle vs 16 spindle).. and its probably all in my head. Arctic Cat and Yamaha's new spindle propaganda has me hooked lol.:face-icon-small-ton

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
The 16' spindle does look cool.

Heres a comparison. The 15" is actually "skinnier" when on the sled. Its only further out by 1/4" and only just at the top heim joint.

Y

yamahajohnson220

Jan 4, 2008
Ha, no kidding! Really leaning toward the Barcode kit now. Made my list of summer mods.

Just remember that when you go aftermarket, when you need an a-arm your chances of riding the same day or even next day diminish quickly. Exact reason I went with the cat '16 kit on my '15 viper.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Here is a pic of stock 38 inch front with old spindles on the left. Zbroz upper arms with stock lowers and 2016 spindles on the right. HUGE difference when riding. 2016 Spindles have a boatload of caster that is needed in my opinion.

Not trying to stir anything up or bash anybody but the 2016 spindles are very different from 2014/2015

attachment.php

spindles.jpg

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Thank you Stingray. Those are perfect pics to illustrate the vast difference. 16 front makes a whole new sled. People don't understand.

GS6

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
Yup they are different. But I was trying to point out the side profile. We all know that the new 2016 spindle has a castor angle of 27deg and the 2015 is 17deg
Just wanted to point out that the 2015 spindle is actually "skinnier" on the sled.

With the help of Snowest member CO 2.0 we've been tweaking the kit. So see how much more we can get out of the 2015 spindle.

The test 2015 uppers that C0 2.0 has are pretty close to the same castor as the new 2016 upper. So far the results are great.

That being said the kits is great but the new tweaked uppers makes it even better. So I will be contacting everyone that has purchased one of our kits so far. Or if you guys see this first please shoot me a PM. I will be offering a upper rebuild. Just ship us back the ones you have and we will rebuild the uppers to the new geometry for free. You just pay the shipping. This will be a over the summer project.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
If u r taking the stock '15 spindle and tilting it backward 10° ur also changing ski pressure points, putting a lot more pressure on the back of the ski. That will make backing up difficult when there is any amount of soft snow..

GS6

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
Here is a pic of stock 38 inch front with old spindles on the left. Zbroz upper arms with stock lowers and 2016 spindles on the right. HUGE difference when riding. 2016 Spindles have a boatload of caster that is needed in my opinion.

Not trying to stir anything up or bash anybody but the 2016 spindles are very different from 2014/2015

attachment.php

Thanks for the side by side pic! I've been torn with what width to go with. I was gonna do the '16 spindle update this fall, but couldn't decide 36 or stay 38" width. Nate from Zbroz was recommending I stay 38", but he also rides a M8 not the Viper. I also have the ProMotion in the rear which helps boondocking, but can make it a handful on the trail ride in.

If I can't get my Viper to what I consider acceptable, I'll write this Viper off as a failed experiment and buy another Doo!

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
If u r taking the stock '15 spindle and tilting it backward 10° ur also changing ski pressure points, putting a lot more pressure on the back of the ski. That will make backing up difficult when there is any amount of soft snow..

GS6

Yup for sure there will be. Options are to cut and modify the ski rubber, or grind down the back part of the spindles saddle. Both quite easy to do.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I think removing material off the back side of the 'foot' and adding that same amount to the front to keep the ski from flopping and acting as a ski brake like the pro does.

GS6

Premium Features