• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking about jumping ship

N

NosGTSR

Nov 27, 2007
Local dealer has a 2015 T3 174 with a 860 big bore. Thinking about trading my Turbo Viper straight across for it. Ive rode Yamaha most of my life and due to the headaches and poor quality of the Viper my biggest concern, is my blue riding gear wont look so hot on a skidoo.

I hate the track (cant stop/slow down going down hill) I hate the skis (not enough float) I dislike the brake lever and throttle. Im pretty sure Ive spent more on oil then my 2 stroke buddies so far this year. The list keeps going but it sure does look sweet.

Thoughts?

Y

yamahajohnson220

Jan 4, 2008
Don't do it!!! You are way to young. You have a lot left in ya. Think about all the blue family you would leave behind. Seek advise from a counselor first.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
Local dealer has a 2015 T3 174 with a 860 big bore. Thinking about trading my Turbo Viper straight across for it. Ive rode Yamaha most of my life and due to the headaches and poor quality of the Viper my biggest concern, is my blue riding gear wont look so hot on a skidoo.

I hate the track (cant stop/slow down going down hill) I hate the skis (not enough float) I dislike the brake lever and throttle. Im pretty sure Ive spent more on oil then my 2 stroke buddies so far this year. The list keeps going but it sure does look sweet.

Thoughts?

Ya know, I was totally in your shoes til last weekend. I always felt like I could never boondock my Viper. The ProMotion kit seemed to have cured that for me. Mine never leaked alot of oil, just weeped. Now MPI seems to have a cure for that, my second biggest complaint. I've kept thinking, this is gonna be a 1 season sled.....especially since I was completely torn between the Viper and a T3 Doo.

I completely agree about the POS Powerclaw track, HATE it!! Riding my dads '14 XM back to back on the same hills, I can go 3x slower down than on mine! If I end up keeping it, the track will get swapped out this summer! The skis I don't mind, but we haven't had bottomless powder this year either. They are better than the Slydog's I had on it! I agree about the LONG brake lever, feels kinda goofy compared to the short race style one on the Doo's!

nytro41

Premium Member
Oct 11, 2008
Some where in the hills ID
got to be the first people ive heard complain about that track. i love mine. but it is on a 2 stroke arctic so maybe the weight is different. i dont know. just my opinion i guess.

Tomkat700

Lifetime Membership
Feb 26, 2013
Pierce, Co
It's great in the powder I had it on my M8 and now the Viper, the only thing I don't like is the braking sucks! Didn't matter both sleds were the same.

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
The viper definately needs some add ons to work better. Skis, skid depending on how much boost you run. I cant comment on the 2.6 track I put the doo 3' 163" on from day one track is awesome. Raised skid up too upper holes front and rear gets rid of the nose heavy diving feeling and running the bakers rear t-motion arm helps lay sled over easier. Been running the gripper skis for most part tried my 8" slydogs last weekend sled floats alot better with them but harder to lay it over at times
Hopefully yamaha/mpi fixes the oil loss issue sounds like theres an easy fix. Ive got the boost it turbo kit no issues with oil loss had my sled upside down numerous times.
I ride with all doos pretty much 174s cant beat that sled outa the box thing is so forgiving in the tight trees where I have to work harder in same conditions . If i wasnt gonna turbo a sled that be the one id ride hands down. I still prefer the torque and h.p. of the boosted yammi it will take more $$ to get it to handle better and lighten it but for me thats all part of the game

N

NosGTSR

Nov 27, 2007
Well straight across ended up being a $5k difference. Looks like the Viper will be getting some upgrades. I put a 4.5 riser on a few days ago and seems much better. Got some skis on the way. Ill be ordering the Pro Motion in a few days. Trying decide between a 174 x3 or a 174 CE 3 cut down to 15 wide.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010

Thoughts?

So the AC quality is shining through on the Yamaha sleds? Sad if that's true. I was hoping Yamaha's influence would turn that ship around.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
Well straight across ended up being a $5k difference. Looks like the Viper will be getting some upgrades. I put a 4.5 riser on a few days ago and seems much better. Got some skis on the way. Ill be ordering the Pro Motion in a few days. Trying decide between a 174 x3 or a 174 CE 3 cut down to 15 wide.

Ouch!! I'd keep the Viper for that difference too!

I was wondering if you could fit a 16" Camo CE under the Viper or if it has to be a 15" track.

I put the 174 x 16 CE 3" under another sled, thinking doing the 15" X3 this time but staying 162 on the Viper. My buddy has an X3 on his turbo XP Etec and it seems to be a good track too!

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Once you finally get tired of putting 10K+ into a new yamaha to make it work good then you will make the switch. I did it over and over for 20 yrs so I was a slow learner too :)
the New Pro's and T 3's work amazing right out of the box. They will go almost anywhere with a good rider on them. That 174 T3 would have been a great sled even With out the big bore kit. It sure is nice to have a stock sled that you can sell or trade anytime you decide to try something else and not loose your a$$ on it. Eric

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Ouch!! I'd keep the Viper for that difference too!

I was wondering if you could fit a 16" Camo CE under the Viper or if it has to be a 15" track.

I put the 174 x 16 CE 3" under another sled, thinking doing the 15" X3 this time but staying 162 on the Viper. My buddy has an X3 on his turbo XP Etec and it seems to be a good track too!

Last summer I could not find a Camoplast X3 in 162x15. So TracksUSA sold me a 162x16 and cut it to 15 for free.

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
Once you finally get tired of putting 10K+ into a new yamaha to make it work good then you will make the switch. I did it over and over for 20 yrs so I was a slow learner too :)
the New Pro's and T 3's work amazing right out of the box. They will go almost anywhere with a good rider on them. That 174 T3 would have been a great sled even With out the big bore kit. It sure is nice to have a stock sled that you can sell or trade anytime you decide to try something else and not loose your a$$ on it. Eric

X 1000! .....when you own a Yamaha your credit card takes a beating.

M
Jan 26, 2012
Lolo, MT
traded in my nytro for a snow bike. If your gonna run a 4stroke, get a thumper and TS. Plus you don't have to look at it in the shop all summer. SLEDS are DeaD ;)

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
I think I have my Viper pretty dang close to where I want it now. Getting the clutching to match the turbo power has really started to make it shine! The dealer did the he said/she said thing w/MPI as far as tuning the weights, kinda left me on my own! If I wasn't a self tuner, I think it would have gave Yamaha a black eye and made them look bad!!

This weekend I installed a boost gauge and a AFR gauge, simply for my own peace of mind. It's went 200+ miles now without a hiccup and no gauges.

I'm glad I did add the boost gauge. It was making about 2psi at 30mph, but at WOT only making 4psi on a long pull :( After letting it cool off, I checked the wastegate actuator rod and its wasn't set properly. I adjusted it correctly and now makes 5psi. I added a lil too much clutch flyweight on the tips so it was only pulling 8400 rpm. It might just make the full 6 when the R's are upped....dunno.

JBat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 17, 2013
A lot of the things you mentioned are fixable. I won't ride a skido simply because I can't continue to fix broken bulkheads, or worry about minor bs continuing to wreck my day, granted I haven't ride a 174 T3 but the xp belt, computer, and nun woes did me in on skidoo. Still have the apex and love it for the bullet proof rocketship it is. Although yes it's for sale with a McXpres turbo kit and I'll lose my *** on it but if you build a sled to any extent that's bound to happen

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
X 1000! .....when you own a Yamaha your credit card takes a beating.

Funny you say that, cause that is why I still have my Yamaha nytro, big power, I like the way it handles, and it cost me WAY less to run it than any BB or turbo 2stroke that I have owned. :face-icon-small-ton

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
Funny you say that, cause that is why I still have my Yamaha nytro, big power, I like the way it handles, and it cost me WAY less to run it than any BB or turbo 2stroke that I have owned. :face-icon-small-ton

Most people that still ride Nytros do so because they can't give them away.:face-icon-small-ton

Premium Features