• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

REAL WEIGHT COMPARISON: Yamaha Viper vs RMK vs XM! (Video W/Ryan Harris from SnoWest)

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Bwaaaaa.

I am the most NON SPORTS guy you will ever meet.
I think I watched exactly ONE sports game last year.

gUgkpTx.jpg

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Honestly, you cannot take the swapping of brands by a well known person in the industry as anything to do with the machine available. So what if someone just swapped brands?
If someone gave me a sled to ride for the season versus having to buy one(altho discounted) I'd jump all over that. Most of the sleds ridden by "ambassadors" are simply dealer demo's. I did that for 5+ years, riding demo's. Barely put on any miles on my personal sleds for a reason, and it wasn't because I always liked them more than my own...
I'm just saying, don't let that influence your opinion at all.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Reeb,

Except that I know her... and discussed the decisions.

If the Yami-Cat were a turd... she wouldn't be on it... even if they gave her 6 freebies.

I agree with not letting industry insiders or magazines that get advert dollars from the majors influence your decisions...Ride em... for more than a couple of hours then make your decision.

I also won't let a video made by a sled mfg, regardless of brand, sway my opinion or make me believe in certain theories. The PRO RMK does hold a lot of snow and ice.... in a conversation that I had with 2 top level RMK engineers... they said that the "dry, showroom" weight was what sold sleds.... I agreed that might "sell" them.... but riding weight DOES affect how "excellent"...or not... the sled is on the hill in real world conditions.

I'll be on a Polaris next year, with lots of coated parts... It is what I prefer... my friends are on every brand made AND two brands of snowbikes and love them as well. Different strokes.

I think, on boost, this Yami is a contender!

Last edited:
R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
I'll consider it a contender when it doesn't need boost to compete.

Power will make anything feel light under power/uphill but we (maybe I should say I because of different riding styles) ride mountain sleds up, down, sideways and everything in between. When its not under power it will feel heavier. You can argue with that until your blue in the face but that's a fact.

Not a bash so do go all kill Ouray on me its Jmo. lol

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I'll consider it a contender when it doesn't need boost to compete.

Power will make anything feel light under power/uphill but we (maybe I should say I because of different riding styles) ride mountain sleds up, down, sideways and everything in between. When its not under power it will feel heavier. You can argue with that until your blue in the face but that's a fact.

Not a bash so do go all kill Ouray on me its Jmo. lol

A counter argument.
Why are ANY of the sleds UNBOOSTED when we are riding so many of them at significant altitudes?

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
A counter argument.
Why are ANY of the sleds UNBOOSTED when we are riding so many of them at significant altitudes?

That pretty much sums up why we'll never agree. lol

The way I love and the way my favorite group rides power never wins. I would be completely fine with taking the gf's 600 for the day with them and some of them are incredible riders, way above my level. Now my Midwest buddies I hang with once a year are all power mongers. A friggen hoot to go straight up with but when things get nasty they're at a disadvantage compared to a lightweight stock powered machine... They see it to and most have confessed that to me when the truth serum at night really takes affect. haha

Maybe if I make it to IP next year you could prove me wrong:face-icon-small-win Didn't get my IP fix this year:face-icon-small-fro

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
That pretty much sums up why we'll never agree. lol

The way I love and the way my favorite group rides power never wins. I would be completely fine with taking the gf's 600 for the day with them and some of them are incredible riders, way above my level. Now my Midwest buddies I hang with once a year are all power mongers. A friggen hoot to go straight up with but when things get nasty they're at a disadvantage compared to a lightweight stock powered machine... They see it to and most have confessed that to me when the truth serum at night really takes affect. haha

Maybe if I make it to IP next year you could prove me wrong:face-icon-small-win Didn't get my IP fix this year:face-icon-small-fro

All I can say, some of us want more than riding trees and side hills all day. As you might could tell, I'm no Brandt wanna be :) I only play in the trees when its snowing too hard to see and ride anywhere else!

Big hills and endless bowls.........I might just be drooling :face-icon-small-hap

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
The only difference in 600's and 800's around where we ride is that the 600's are playing on the lower parts of the hill and the 800's higher up. The turbo's are even higher.

I can have a blast on a 600 all day long. WFO and it's a blast. An 800 or big bore just means the decisions have to come quicker because so do the trees. Turbo's add another dimension with the decision making process. I make way more mistakes, but I have way more fun doing so.
It's even better when I'm on my T-Vec. It's heavy, it's hard work, and I'm barely holding on at the end of the day, but to put that sled in places that people just shake their head at, and then fail to follow. That's the priceless part.

80%(I personally think this number is low) of all people out there will never be in situations like Burandt or Skinner, never see terrain like you do in advertisements, but brag all the same.
The amount of smacktalk PRO riders in my area have thrown around, only to NOT be able to pull a line that a big, heavy, slow, cumbersome 2005 Vector pulls thru the trees is mind boggling. But every new day brings a wiped out memory. Cuz they are back at it smacking their lips just like the day before.

Every area is different, and in the Cariboo of BC, Polaris riders are the ones that like to spend the day out in the wilderness, BSing and drinking beer. Hey, when I wanna do a hangover day, I go ride with them. We barely make the gas drop by noon and we've drank 6 beers by then. We barely leave the trail or the cutblocks. It would be like a family day, except we are all drinking.

But usually when I ride with my Ski-Doo guys we simply go hard. Go to the same spots, hit the same jumps, climb the same hills. Do our thing and check off as much of the area as we can. There's a few Cats, and a few Poo's in that group. It's kind of a interchanging role of people.

Then I go riding with a select few of my friends and those are the fun days. Crisscrossing the trail, never riding on it, following our GPS instead of any known landmarks. Dropping off frozen waterfalls and hopping creeks trying to get one another stuck. Those are the days that we end up broken, battered, and bruised. Out of fuel, out of sunlight, and out of forgiveness from our girlfriends/wives. There is never more than 4 of us, and it's a great time, partly because we can feel where the other guy is going to go. Very intuitive of where the other guys are and what they are going to do.

3 of us in that group have turbo's. But we always grab the 800 stockers for those days. The 4th guy sold his turbo and has been riding stock 800's since.

Really, it's all about the riding you do. Believe me, when Revelstoke comes calling in January and February, it's Turbo season every single time.
You can't knock anyone that isn't in your immediate riding group for what they ride or how they ride.

There's guys that spew knowledge about brands about set-up and such, but rarely leave the trail or cutblock. Yet tons of people have followed these set-ups because of what they perceive these guys do for riding. Only to find out that those set-ups don't work AT ALL. Or praise the set-up, but only for its trail characteristics. Funny how that might work eh. It's the exact same thing when listening to opinions of where and how a snowmobile works. So to see so many people take these posts so literal is pretty funny. When are we gonna stop looking to others to answer questions for us? Go out and ride it. If it suits your style, your riding abilities, and is comparable with your group, then that is the sled for you. Not what some X-Games winning/World Champ/riding clinic owning spokesperson tells you.

I'm just lucky to have multiple sleds, even if they are getting a bit old. I can't wait to find out what sled I buy in the next 12 months tho. I'm stoked there are so many great options to choose from.

*End of Rant

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I didn't see your post with the infinity...

I actually like the way it looks better than the Porsche.... the Macan looks a bit dated in comparison. They are close in price when comparably equipped... the Porsche turbo has 10hp more... I thought it would be more than that.

2014-QX70.jpeg

2015-Porsche-Macan-right-side-view-2.jpg

Last edited:
C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
Interesting last few posts. I have the FX50 and am thinking of getting a Macan. I don't think the picture of the Macan does it any justice though. FX50 has some shortcomings but overall is a good overall drive. Hauls butt, handles well for an SUV, good all weather vehicle, seats four in luxury and doesn't get too bad a fuel mileage. I see fewer FX50's around too then I do Cayenne's which is nice. Maybe wait for the Macan Diesel though.

Premium Features