• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

REAL WEIGHT COMPARISON: Yamaha Viper vs RMK vs XM! (Video W/Ryan Harris from SnoWest)

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
I can't wait to ride one. I just sold my T apex I'm curious how much different the new chassis will feel. My wife rides a non turbo Nytro and it could use a turbo. I think Yamaha is heading in the right direction with this new chassis though. I'm glad they are putting a bigger gas tank on the new ones the nytros is to small imo.

You can't even imagine. I was 4 years on a TApex and now 3 on a Cat with the same hp. Enjoy. :face-icon-small-coo

manlye

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2009
I hope you guys are doing heavy deadlifts no matter how you slice it digging out a 4t is a pain in the azz how many 2t riders are more than happy to go with their 4t buddy's? They know everyone's back is going to be broke at the end of the day. Btw where is the extra 20-30 pounds to make the sled at least keep up with the 2t?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Maybe the competitors (or better yet, an independent) should redo the experiment and post the results.

Gotta say, I got a chuckle out of the ten ton chain hoist used to raise the sleds. Insert comments here. :D

d8grandpa

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2010
Alberta
How about Chistopher you get your new turbo Viper and I will take my stock pro, you come follow me and we will do a real world mountain test. We will let the results speak for them self.

S

snopromod

Nov 30, 2008
wy
Well another BS video. You cant tell me the yamaha skid doesnt get packed like the other two. Also whats with 6 inches of snow the skis, I've never seen that before.

Haha I noticed that to! Had to be 20 lbs on each ski and another 20 lbs in each side of a arms, and I know for a fact the skid on the yamaha got cleaned out so real world is you have to pack 150 lbs of snow into the Pro and ski doo to make an argument! Nice try Yama cat :face-icon-small-coo can't fool the real world

Bubba

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
turkey ridge sd
#

Im glad yami is back in the mountain market
but cat should get some of the credit, most everything
on here is what cat already did, other than the
yami engine which i think is a proven engine for sure.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
So another one of these tests and the pro is still the lightest eh?

I'm interested....What kind of technology is yamicat employing to keep the snow from piling up on the skis like the pro? Heated Nano coated ported skis? Will there be a kit available for other brands?

Good to see they're losing weight tho....in general.

Last edited:
S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
Members who state snow build up is not a issue, are mistaken. I have a 2014 Proclimb and a 2013 Pro. The difference is substantial. No debating it. If someone refutes the claim they simply have not been exposed to it. We have on many occasions been amazed at how much snow the Pro holds compared to the Proclimb. No, we have not weighed the sleds, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the difference is substantial. So YES, the Yamaha will benefit the same. Will it be as light as a Pro?? Good grief of course not. But it sure shows that Yamaha is stepping it up. And with a couple hundred HP at elevation!!! Gonna be a fun sled.

Sam

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I'm totally tickled that Yamaha has opened up their budgets for mountain development again. Been waiting since '94 but I will not turbo a sled I own so the viper is out because of power to weight, period.
Love what Yamaha has done to the rear suspension to make it more a mountain skid. Small changes like I did to my `12 Cat make a big difference in lift control and trenching. Glad they laugh at the TCL too.
Yamaha understands clutching as well a Poo and IMO makes better components. The belt life is helped by 4 stroke power pulses compared to 2 stroke but both are as good as it should be.
I`m excited to think Yamaha may re enter with a light weight sled in the future. But this one is still too heavy in my world.

I had a '12 HCR (front cooler) and I know the tunnel holds more snow in THAT type of snow without some kind of heat exchanger. Top and bottom. Any one can paint but even paint has a perfect temp. I also know the Cat front end holds more snow in these conditions "cause I been there".
I knew Yamaha was borrowing Cat's chassis but I didn't know they were using the same marketing team. If I was at the head of Yamaha sled I would spank the one who ok'd this vid. The Viper is better than that IMO.

What insults me lol., it's like I don't ride and look. 'Bin looking at snow build up long before this type of marketing like many here. Decades ago.
Yet here they show almost identical skids (you can almost exchange parts) Poo and Cat, with one holding almost nothing and the other packed to the max lol. It's not the rails.
Two front ends look like they plowed into a bank then onto the grass. One looks like it planed in onto the grass. Two look like the riders needed to stop and clean the goggs after 20 min of face planting and one looks like the rider came off the trail and stopped to enjoy the view.
I ride with lots of different types of riders. They all enjoy the ride. Some come in with almost nothing on the running boards and open up the tank bag to enjoy the stop. Some come in and clean the pine needles and sticks out, take off and open the back packs and enjoy the stop. Same snow conditions, same ride but not apples to apples.
I can see how the Viper was ridden into the tree well lol. too bad like I said because I believe the Viper is better than that.

Anyhow if I was in the market for a boosted 4 stroke sled I would only have ONE on my mind. History would make up my mind alone.
I hope Yamaha doesn't rely on this type of marketing and really tries to get into the other class of mountain sleds. LOT'S of us are waiting for Yamaha quality because we still remember the 90's.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Weight matters even if its ten pounds try hauling around a backpack with 5 pounds then put 25 pounds in it and ride all day and tell me with one is going to tire you out faster. I will ride a lighter sled even if it has less horsepower. I will ride all day not taking any breaks due to less weight. It makes a big difference when stuck if its a heavy or light if you don't think so buy what you want I will be on the lightest sled possible. Common yamaha just another disappointment bash the competitor that will get you more market share for sure.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
All these nay-sayers....too funny.

First off, I'm gonna throw my hat in the corner of that funny lookin guy Ryan Harris. He's fairly unbiased if any of you have the chance to meet him(or read any of his columns)

Secondly, if everyone in this thread was there that day, riding those sleds, watching them get weighed, this thread would still be populated with the same crap. While people are face to face, they might agree on how things were done, the outcome etc etc, but as soon as you get them home, you'll get them speaking up.

And lastly, in my time as a Manager at various dealerships, E-Start is becoming more and more common. In fact, my last year at a Ski-Doo shop, of our 54 snowchecked Summits, HALF of them were E-Start. And I'm talking about the super easy, one pull, E-Tec Summits. HALF OF THEM were E-Starts. So those going around with their chests puffed out about how adding E-Start to the Doo and Poo is laughable, know that adding those heavy batteries and starters is an afterthought for HALF of the people out there.

(Note) of all 54 of those Summits I had Snowchecked, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM bought a lightweight muffler. Even the guys that bought E-Start models.

One other thing;

We've been noticing the advantages of powdercoating versus raw aluminum for YEARS. I remember the first time I really noticed it, it was 2001 and we just came back from riding. Just before we unloaded the sleds my dad and I stood there and were absolutely amazed at the snow difference inside of our skids.
We had a 2001 RMK 800 with a 156 M-10 that was powdercoated. And a 2001 Summit 800 with a 151 M-10 that was raw aluminum.
The powdercoated skid had next to nothing for snow buildup, while my Summit still held a packed skid full of snow. And this was an hour after loading up and heading home. The advantages are nothing new in this day of age.

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I have e start on my xm. The reason yamaha had e start on them and used an sp was to get the difference closer. Don't kid yourself. If they really want to do a test bring three scales and weight them that way. It is the front end weight that matters more imo. I think it was a fair comparison with what they had but I also think it needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
All these nay-sayers....too funny.

First off, I'm gonna throw my hat in the corner of that funny lookin guy Ryan Harris. He's fairly unbiased if any of you have the chance to meet him(or read any of his columns)

Secondly, if everyone in this thread was there that day, riding those sleds, watching them get weighed, this thread would still be populated with the same crap. While people are face to face, theyone might agree on how things were done etc etc, but as soon as you get home, you speak up.

And lastly, in my time as a Manager at various dealerships, E-Start is becoming more and more common. In fact, my last year at a Ski-Doo shop, of our 54 snowchecked Summits, HALF of them were E-Start. And I'm talking about the super easy, one pull, E-Tec Summits. HALF OF THEM were E-Starts. So those going around with their chests puffed out about how adding E-Start to the Doo and Poo is laughable, know that adding those heavy batteries and starters is an afterthought for HALF of the people out there.

(Note) of all 54 of those Summits I had Snowchecked, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM bought a lightweight muffler. Even the guys that bought E-Start models.

One other thing;

We've been noticing the advantages of powdercoating versus raw aluminum for YEARS. I remember the first time I really noticed it, it was 2001 and we just came back from riding. Just before we unloaded the sleds my dad and I stood there and were absolutely amazed at the snow difference inside of our skids.
We had a 2001 RMK 800 with a 156 M-10 that was powdercoated. And a 2001 Summit 800 with a 151 M-10 that was raw aluminum.
The powdercoated skid had next to nothing for snow buildup, while my Summit still held a packed skid full of snow. And this was an hour after loading up and heading home. The advantages are nothing new in this day of age.

A couple of things I feel are worth bringing up, with all due respect and trying not to get this thread even MORE derailed than it already is:

-E-start is a ***MUST*** and not an option on a four stroke. End of story. If you want to save 25 pounds on your 2 stroke, then pull the rope.

-IF we are gonna discuss powdercoated skids, the snowcheck Doo has had it for 4 model years now. Powdercoated tunnel since 2010.

-selling an Etec with an aftermarket can is a bit of a crapshoot these days. As much as it kills me to ride my XM with the stock heavy can with no room for a cooker I'm still waiting for one that performs as flawlessly as the stocker.

All that said, the common sense side of me highly doubts that Ryan Harris would take part in a test that is not properly done at least to the best of his knowledge.

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
Estart is a must on a 4 stroke. No. Never tried the Nytro but I could wrap a tie down around the primary on the Apex and fire it up no problem. Will people do that instead of turning a key? No. About the weight issue. If you don't like the weight ride something else. Why come on here and pi$$ and moan about how heavy a sled is if you don't ride it? Stuck in 4 feet of pow they all weigh a ton.

E

Einar74

Oct 20, 2009
Iceland
I'm talking about the super easy, one pull, E-Tec Summits. HALF OF THEM were E-Starts. So those going around with their chests puffed out about how adding E-Start to the Doo and Poo is laughable, know that adding those heavy batteries and starters is an afterthought for HALF of the people out there.

Isn´t this typical. It is my experience that there is a really small % of people that is doing some sort of motorsport activities that really study the sport or have true passion for it. Specially in snowmobiling because most people ride so few days a year that they simply want to have all "fun and play" when they spend time around it or doing it.

Adding e-start to a modern EFI 2-stroke is a joke, and go buying the latest and greatest "lightweight" mountain snowmobile and then ad a e-start just show how "shallow" most people think about this "hobby" of theres and than ad a lightweight muffler simply to get more go-fast sound into there "speed machine.

WOW, I still get amused how little passion some people have for something they are willing to spend thousands and thousands of $ into.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Look what I found in my trailer..
asyza4u2.jpg

Last edited:

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Isn´t this typical. It is my experience that there is a really small % of people that is doing some sort of motorsport activities that really study the sport or have true passion for it. Specially in snowmobiling because most people ride so few days a year that they simply want to have all "fun and play" when they spend time around it or doing it.

Adding e-start to a modern EFI 2-stroke is a joke, and go buying the latest and greatest "lightweight" mountain snowmobile and then ad a e-start just show how "shallow" most people think about this "hobby" of theres and than ad a lightweight muffler simply to get more go-fast sound into there "speed machine.

WOW, I still get amused how little passion some people have for something they are willing to spend thousands and thousands of $ into.

There is definitely those people. No question. However don't lump them all into one group....

I don't think it is a passion problem. There is plenty of passion. I think you mean a passion in terms of having the latest, greatest, lightest, most HP/LB, trying to achieve the most performance for their buck.

In truth, there are a great many people who simply would not rather pull a cord. I know plenty of men and women who get that envious look in their eye when I reach over for the key to my Yamaha. The same look I give after a day of hard riding or a 30 minute exercise in digging out my Rev or Cat. The first half a dozen times I don't mind pulling over my 2-strokes. The other dozen or two dozen times I find myself weighing the pros and cons of E-Start with a lightweight battery.

At this point in my life, the weight issue is too great to bother with E-Start. But seeing my dad(mid 50's, Canadian Champion Oval Racer, Record Holder, small engine mechanic since he was 14yrs old) struggle after half a day in chest deep powder to pull on his 1 Liter 2-stroke, I can totally understand his want for a key. Passion is not the issue. He rides a sub-430lb Cat, and constantly looking on how to shave weight. But there comes a time where the pros of E-Start overcome the cons.

Just like the reason I have a Yamaha. The pros of more HP overcame the cons of more weight. I've teetered on this ledge for a long time. Hence the stable of sleds that includes both 2 and 4 strokes.

Edit:

Remember the time when we scoffed at sleds with reverse? Many of us swore never to have a sled equipped with reverse. And now look at us. Weight or not, take a poll on how many people would do without reverse anymore. Bet you see less than 10% would forego it.

Last edited:
Premium Features