• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

bad handling 08XP

N
Dec 10, 2012
snohomish
there was a 1/2 inch of icy crust on the snow at Stampede today. My 08XP 154, rooster built suggested suspension ,poo gripper skis. When going along off trail the handle bars would rip out of my hands full right or left. My sons 04 rev 159 had no such problem. We traded sleds and he had the same problem. Any ideas? Winter Brew?

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
there was a 1/2 inch of icy crust on the snow at Stampede today. My 08XP 154, rooster built suggested suspension ,poo gripper skis. When going along off trail the handle bars would rip out of my hands full right or left. My sons 04 rev 159 had no such problem. We traded sleds and he had the same problem. Any ideas? Winter Brew?
To much ski pressure and or needs ski alignment?

snohomish

Premium Member
Jan 9, 2013
I experienced the same thing at stampede on Friday. I chalked it up to being the new guy and just gave it mor gas. A handful at times for sure when you are not expecting it. Oh and for what it matters I was on a 13 xm 800 154 with the strap in the stock position.

R
Nov 2, 2012
breckenridge, co
Yeah I just switched from rev to XP this year, 2008 146, and was a little disappointed in the handling in less than a foot or so of fresh. I just did the s 36 upgrade and it is way better, still real stable but much easier to get on edge. Next I will doo the 2010 center shock upgrade, the 08s do not transfer weight much, making carving a bit tougher.

kaz600rr

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2011
eagle river,wi
xtreme air vents has rear shock upgrade for 08-09 moves rear front shock back 1" with a longer shock and longer limiter strap it makes night and day difference I think kit is 345.00 Do it you wont regret it....along with the s36 front end mod it makes side hilling and getting sled on edge almost to easy

Last edited:
N
Dec 10, 2012
snohomish
had my 08 700 dragon with simmons skis out 4-2-14. Have almost no time on this sled as it is a buddy sled, this sled is way more easy to sidehill than my 08 xp with gripper skis. it steers way easier also, what is wrong with my xp set up. rode them across the same snow and the poo kicked the doo in handling. What am I doing wrong?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Just saw this thread. I remember that particular icy weekend. It wasn't fun on ANY sled. icy and inconsistant.
The longer front skid shock is a good upgrade, basically making it like the 2010+ geometry. Less ski pressure and more adjustability.
SLP spindles are another option, they are 1.5" shorter than stock spindles and change the geometry for less feedback through the bars.

N
Dec 10, 2012
snohomish
bad handling XP

I cranked the adjustment ring on the front track shock to reduce ski pressure on my xp .This worked very well and it feels like a different sled! It now steers way easier and rolls over way better

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
^ only thing with that is...if you climb anything steep you have to really lean forward or it will want to blow over backwards. I took my swaybar out, cranked the fts a bit and just lived with the wheely-ing.

N
Dec 10, 2012
snohomish
xp handling again

Will the longer shock upgrade give me the best of both worlds, light ski pressure and minimal wheeling? If so what system is the way to go? WB do have a preferred set up? Was out this Sat and could not get it right.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
It depends how much $$ you want to spend. A Toms setup would give you the most adjustability, with the Floats you can tailor ski pressure and still keep the nose down reasonably well. The '08 track with the massive amount of porting isn't helping.
Scissor relocate brackets from TSS will help with ski lift but not so much with the heavy steering. The longer front skid shock with scissor relocate brackets (back 1.25") is (IMO) the best combination. But then if you are going to spend that much $$, the Toms skid might be a consideration. You might give Tom a call, he has messed with the suspension on these things as much as anyone.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
just saw this one...

IMHO every after market ski and now the Polaris ski on a DOO gives you a "tank slap" effect on crusty snow...DOO skis are shorter and wont show this issue...the new DS2 spindle/ski would be a solid upgrade (all around) and fix this problem...add my scissor mod (flattens rails, removes wait from skis, easier pull over) and for only $50 pretty cheap...

call for help in all aspects of your sled...full service shop...BJ

Premium Features