• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polycarbonate vs. lexan hoods?? (IQ racer)

T
Nov 26, 2007
I need a clear hood.

On one hand I have Mountainfit hoods, who make poly.

On the other I have BR-Tech, lexan.

I have read on these forums about Mountain fit being a pain to deal with, and at their website there's no phone # to call them, just order forms.

BR Tech I remember a few years back about having delivery problems as well... You can order on-line, but they have a # listed, that they don't answer...

Was about to order a BR-Tech hood online but would rather dish my info over the phone and confirm that the hood is in stock and on the way before I commit to payin $90 shipping and handling to one company. Personally I'd rather go with a poly hood, but getting the hood soon is more important.

Any input??

S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
I'm no expert on this, but from what I've seen the poly hoods hold up better then the lexan. I have a lexan hood on the shelf I got for dirt cheap from BR Tech because they cut it the wrong height.

D
if you buy a polycarbonate hood do not trailer without a cover on your sled. Made that mistake last year and I still have not figured out a way to get the salt discoloration out of it. Other than that I like my mountain fit hood a lot.

T
Nov 26, 2007
So is Mountain Fit still having problems delivering right now?? I read on here that they should be ramped up for sled season now and delivery should not be a problem. Still would be nice to hear anything other than the negatives and find a number to call them direct.

I hear that using tooth paste is a good compound for polishing plastic. Crest with a high speed buffer???

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
run lexan on the rev.... pretty cracked, but its along the bottom front were the rev body drags through the powder. i have a fiberglass hood on my 1m, pretty tuff and easily fixable. but they are expensive i read.

R
Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman MT
I thought "Lexon" was just a trade name. It's just someone's brand of poly I think? I've had serveral Mountain Fit hoods (different sleds) and they hold up great. I think you're better off not painting them as even the correct paint seems to make them brittle over time. Mtn Fit is much cheaper than BR Teck but beprepared to trim and fit the hood yourself.

T
Nov 26, 2007
Yesterday I am reading all the negatives about Mountain Fit and now today the forums are all different and I can't even use my old log-in name, so all my previous references are gone.

I'd buy a Mountain Fit hood in a heartbeat if someone had a phone number I could reach them at.

Thanks for all the responses thus far.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Ft Collins CO
I have run both and broken both, they seem about the same.
Bought Mtn fit @ a snow show.
Bought my BR right over the phone and it came on a bus a few days later.
I would imagine they are both swamped right now, I'll look for phone #'s, have them somewhere.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I have a polycarbonate hood on my edge. I've had to chase cracks down on it since I've got. Get them to stop cracking by drilling a hole at the end of the crack. I have also had to stitch the crap out of it with zip ties to hold it together. I will never buy a poly hood ever again. As strong as ABS plastic my azz. Mesh or stock for me from now on... If you ever roll your sled over to get it unstuck then a poly hood is not for you IMO...

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Yep not very durable but nice and lite. i have had a few and every one cracks out pretty good.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
mtn fit seems better than the br tech hoods, but dont spill gas on them.

R

Red Dog

Aug 29, 2001
I work with Polycarbonate all the time,like summit670 said there both the same.Lexan is polycarbonate,the name Lexan is just G.E. Product.Cheers Red Dog.

P
Nov 30, 2007
Utah
www.myspace.com
I work with Polycarbonate all the time,like summit670 said there both the same.Lexan is polycarbonate,the name Lexan is just G.E. Product.Cheers Red Dog.

kinda...GE got out of the resin business and sold lexan to SABIC. However, Lexan is just a trade name for their version of polycarbonate. Same...Same...

So, Lexan vs. Polycarbonate is a bit of a misnomer since lexan is polycarbonate. Unfortuneatly for us, All polycarbonates are not the same. They come in high molecular weights and low. Higher molecular weights are more expensive and are more difficult to process but usually have better properties. Also, clouding the issue, some stinkers use acrylic resin and call it Lexan for marketing purposes. Acylics shatter more easily.

So I guess for us, we would have to ask are you really using lexan in your hood? If you are comparing vendors for different hoods you might ask for the vendor certs and compare molecular weights.

Karl

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
kinda...GE got out of the resin business and sold lexan to SABIC. However, Lexan is just a trade name for their version of polycarbonate. Same...Same...

So, Lexan vs. Polycarbonate is a bit of a misnomer since lexan is polycarbonate. Unfortuneatly for us, All polycarbonates are not the same. They come in high molecular weights and low. Higher molecular weights are more expensive and are more difficult to process but usually have better properties. Also, clouding the issue, some stinkers use acrylic resin and call it Lexan for marketing purposes. Acylics shatter more easily.

So I guess for us, we would have to ask are you really using lexan in your hood? If you are comparing vendors for different hoods you might ask for the vendor certs and compare molecular weights.

Karl

That's great info to know..............thanks Karl.

Premium Features