• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Presidential canidates and public land

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Anyone have any out takes on who would be the best presidential candidate for supporting public access to public land?

I would have said Huntsman would have most likely been the top pick, but he unfortunately dropped out of the race today.

I can't seem to find any data on Gingrich, Romney, anyone's website about it ....

But we all know its a non-existent national issue, and no one dare put on their website "I oppose wilderness designations".

So what do you all think?

allied1

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
SE ND
One of Newt's opinions

Green Conservatism: A New Way of Thinking About the Environment
by Newt Gingrich
10/30/2007

Do you remember back in the late 1980s and early 1990s when people began thinking differently about welfare?

Politicians in Washington and in state capitals actually woke up to the fact that the usual left-right screaming matches weren't doing any good. Lots of us came to understand that the welfare system we then had was actually harming many of the people it was supposed to be helping.

… ... moreThe result of this new way of thinking was welfare reform.

Eleven years later, the effects of this change are nothing less than transformational. Welfare rolls have declined by more than 60 percent. And a million and a half fewer children are living in poverty.

Today, I want to introduce you to a new way of thinking about the environment.

My Latest Book: A Contract with the Earth

This week marks the launch of my new book, A Contract with the Earth.

I wrote it with my friend Terry Maple, who was once the head of Zoo Atlanta and is now president and CEO of the Palm Beach Zoo and professor of conservation and behavior at the Georgia Institute of Technology.

If I had to boil down the message of A Contract with the Earth to just a couple sentences, I would say it's this:

The left doesn't have the last word on how we protect our environment -- and neither do the folks who say we should sit back and do nothing.

The fact is, according to polling done by my grassroots organization, American Solutions, 95 percent of Americans believe we have an obligation to be good stewards of God's creation for future generations. Eighty-two percent said they believe so "intensely."

Over the last 36 years, I have watched the pro-regulation, pro-litigation, pro-taxation and pro-centralized-government advocates become the definers of environmentalism.

The left would have us believe that to be an environmentalist you have to believe in catastrophic threats, dramatic increases in government power and economically draconian solutions. Such a big-government bureaucracy, trial-lawyer-litigation and excessive-regulation "environmentalism" does a poor job of protecting the environment while it erodes individual freedom, destroys jobs and weakens our country.

The time has come to propose a fundamentally different approach to a healthy environment and a healthy economy.

The time has come for the development of a mainstream environmentalism as an alternative to big bureaucracy and big litigation environmentalism. You could call it "green conservatism," but it's really the mainstream environmental approach that has worked so well in the United States. President Theodore Roosevelt epitomized this approach when he said, "The movement for the conservation of wild life and the larger movement for the conservation of all our natural resources are essentially democratic in spirit, purpose and method."

A Better Way to Protect God's Creation

A Contract with the Earth, which is available in both book and audio form, describes a different -- and better -- way to protect God's creation.

Take this quick quiz:

•Do you believe a healthy environment should be able to coexist with a healthy, growing economy?
•Do you believe investments in science and technology will generate solutions to most of our environmental problems?
•Do you believe incentives should be offered to encourage corporations to clean up the environment?
•Do you believe corporate and private philanthropy is essential to the success of a global and environmental movement?
If you answered "yes" to most of these questions, you're probably in the environmental mainstream. You may even be a green conservative.

I'll have a lot more to say about A Contract with the Earth and new ways of thinking about protecting our environment in the weeks and months ahead. For now, you can read more about green conservatism at ContractWithTheEarth.com.

... less

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Are we supposed to take a drink every time he says "left"?

M
Mar 7, 2008
Anyone have any out takes on who would be the best presidential candidate for supporting public access to public land?

I would have said Huntsman would have most likely been the top pick, but he unfortunately dropped out of the race today.

I can't seem to find any data on Gingrich, Romney, anyone's website about it ....

But we all know its a non-existent national issue, and no one dare put on their website "I oppose wilderness designations".

So what do you all think?

Hope we hear more about this. I don't know where the andidates stand. Not sure any of them at this point have much sense of 'west issues' ort even what Wilderness is but certainly our western state conresssman do so need to work with them. But I have no confidence in any democrat for this - congress or president. If I'm wrong please point out the specific exceptions.

F

freekweet mods

Feb 3, 2008
Republican;drill,log,graze,mine,etc. Sell out to those that put them in office and post it No trespassing.Burn the rest. Democrat;no drilling,logging,grazing,mining,etc.Sell out to those that put them in office and post it area closed to all access.If you can see it from 100 miles away you are to close. Unfortunately partisan views have brought this country to its knees on many issues.Somewhere between the two extremes are open minded common Americans who think for themselves that realize it doesn't matter who you put in there they are just puppets controlled by money.

M
Mar 7, 2008
Republican;drill,log,graze,mine,etc. Sell out to those that put them in office and post it No trespassing.Burn the rest. Democrat;no drilling,logging,grazing,mining,etc.Sell out to those that put them in office and post it area closed to all access.If you can see it from 100 miles away you are to close. Unfortunately partisan views have brought this country to its knees on many issues.Somewhere between the two extremes are open minded common Americans who think for themselves that realize it doesn't matter who you put in there they are just puppets controlled by money.

Several good points about politicians. But currently the best I can see is that Tester and Baucus are both supporting large increases in Wilderness. Rehberg (Republican competing with Demorat Tester) is not.

For now I thnk we have to fight to keep areas open to motorized / multiple access (no more Wilderness candidates which means no more democratsTester and Baucus in Montana) then fight to keep access from our public right of ways to OUR forests (fight the 'no tresspassing' you are referring to)
So - need to change the culture in the Dept of Ag / Forest Service in DC and that will come from a different congress and president but will take several years to change. One thing for sure - it will never change with the dems in congress/president and especially if the western states do not get better organized and lobby as a whole.

M
Oct 31, 2010
Bozeman MT
At this point ,support Rehburg as he , I believe is trying to introduce legislation that will halt the green from getting free tax money in the form of grants and study money, which they are useing to then sue us the tax payer Government. Thats right they get free money from the government, then sue the government. If we as tax payers can stop that ,we will stop most of the b###it lawsuits. SUPPORT DENNY and all other republicans in their effort to stop the flow of free money to dirtbags!

Premium Features