• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

100 grams+12000 rpm's+big boost=?

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
Pulled all 3 weights and pins off the sheeve. 100 grams of weight, 12000 rpms's and 20 psi. Guess I now know the limits of the stock primary:face-icon-small-ton. It may not look like it but this clutch only has 300 miles on it.

101_1049.jpg

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
It's an Apex engine, so crank should be fine,
And OUCH, dangerous when all that mass comes flying in that speed, see positive on it and be glad you survived!

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
thats why I hate cast primarys... Micro belmont is your friend.:face-icon-small-coo

And i'd check the crank, i've seen a few boosted drag R1 yammi cranks crack,yes very rare but thats a ton of force on it. IMHO

Last edited:

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
Must be language barrier, the clutch isn't attached to the crank, so you must mean crankcase or something ;)

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
I think the RPM was the killer more so than the weight. A heavier clutch may do the same thing spinning that fast. I'm not sure what the exact reduction in RPM's are, but at 12000 on the motor, the clutch was probably close to 10000 which is way past the efficiency point.

1madbird

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
West Bountiful, Utah
Zeb glad you didnt get nailed by one of the weights coming off. that turned into a long day and night. thanks to Val for getting us out.

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
Zeb is this on your new build?? I pressume it happened on a full pull?? got any pics of what got damaged?? I can pnly imagine:face-icon-small-sho

It was my new build. It took out my primary, secondary and that lower plastic piece.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
Yeah, a very late evening. Zeb and I got home around 1. Thanks to Val and many others who helped

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
I think the gear reduction was to get the clutches down to 8500 or so. No wonder the primary let go!!! lucky you didn't get hit that would have felt like getting shot :scared:

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
Zeb glad you didnt get nailed by one of the weights coming off. that turned into a long day and night. thanks to Val for getting us out.

I'm sure glad a weight didn't go through my leg. Scott from Diamond S said he had a similar issue and it broke his foot:face-icon-small-sad. And thanks a million for your help! Thanks to everyone else including Val who helped.

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
Zeb is this on your new build?? I pressume it happened on a full pull?? got any pics of what got damaged?? I can pnly imagine:face-icon-small-sho

It was my new build. It took out my primary, secondary and that lower plastic piece.

Ya it's off my new build. It took out my primary, secondary, and that lower plastic piece. I only found one weight, who knows where the others are, they shot off like bullets.

Last edited:
F
Sep 22, 2009
Glad you didn't get hurt. I know how it feels, had one grenade and send chunks through the hood 30ft in the air. Sounds like you guys had a decent ride, wish I could have went but my brother would have never made it with his kid on back. I'd like to plan a may ride.

Premium Features