• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

180 or 240?

M

Moosehumper

Mar 27, 2009
In a van, down by the river!
What do you think? I'm working up to making a decision here, I'm not realy into the whole point & shoot climbing somewhere that I don't really belong. What goes up has to come down....There is a Monday morning for me & a family at home.

I do like messing around in the trees & deeep snow, climbing "reasonable hills".
I also spend a lot of time on trails & cutlines with deep snow & like speed & squirtyness:cool:.
Until this point 150ish Hp has gotten it done for me. But now, wanting a little more. So.. is the 180 kit going to do it? Should I look into the 240/270?

Again, I won't be eyeballing the monster shoots but I would rather it be the rider as the limitting factor not the sled.:p

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
I've got the 240 kit and love it. It does great boondocking as well as hill climbing. The power is very managible. With the 240 kit it will definately be the rider that is the limiting factor. Love the sled and the turbo.

M

Moosehumper

Mar 27, 2009
In a van, down by the river!
Another ? about the 240?
How are they for cold starting & lag?
The only turboed yammie I have experience with was a mcx phazer which had trouble with both - & both were really bad. I was told that both problems were a result of the lowered compression. These were the 2 main reasons for geting rid of it eventually.

I would guess that the 180, with out a shim would not show these symptoms...?

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
if your thinkin the 240 is to much, then ill bet if you do the 180 in a few rides youll wish you got the 240.

But then agin, you go 240 youll wanna push it to 270.

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
I'd do the 180.....stock compression so the hit is awesome. Pulls like a pump gas M8T and costs the same as putting head, reeds, pipes, nos on the "Blow 'em up specials";)
I'd love to have one but the fleet is full:eek:
RS

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
www.reelfishingadventues.net
I rode a 240 last season and this 180, IMHO, has everything that I need from a sled. It'll blow the doors off of most 2 strokers and I still have more reliability from having a few less ponies than the big boys have. I've tried it out and so have my riding buddies and all are saying the same thing, its more than enough for what we do!! Sherm

R
Nov 27, 2009
kinuso
if you can wait maybe 10 days moosehumper should have the 180 on my xtx we can maybe meet in the hills is there alot of snow around goose tower? you can give it a rip

N
Jan 5, 2010
Mossbank, Sk
I just put a 180 kit on my 09 Nytro mtx. Freakin awesome!!!!! I cant believe the power, then again I havnt rode a 240 and cant imagine adding another 60hp to mine. I like the stock compression, no engine mods, and the "Do it yourself" if you want to. The lag is almost non existent and it pulls right from 0 to 150kmh. I havnt got it out to the mountains yet (but going to Cooke City on Feb13) but in the fields around here when you punch it at 120 the skis lift off its gone again. Im very very happy with it. One more note, my dealer has a 240, I took my sled to him for a computer issue (not turbo's fault) and he rode it. Said it feels as strong as his around here. Bottom line is you wont be dissapointed for $5000

Last edited:
M
Jan 14, 2004
I have an Rx1 that is making pretty close to 300 hp depending on how I set the boost. I also have a stock Nytro which I just rode for the last 3 days cause the snow was pretty well hero. The nice thing about the Nytro is you can ride it pretty well pinned all the time where the Rx you really can't hold it flat out for too long cause you just get going too fast. I really think the 180 kit is the way I'm going to go on my Nytro cause you've got to remember thats a true 180 at elevation which is really probably a true 60 more than a stocker. For the riding we do I really think 180 -200 is the number not that I mind the odd day at 300. LOL

M5

S

scarlier

Dec 29, 2009
Sicamous, BC
180 vs. 240

is there anyone that has ridden both? i am in the same boat. going to make a decision soon and have it done for early Feb. Want an opinion!:confused:

U

uzeste

Jan 20, 2008
Cold Lake AB
Start with the 180 and you can always turn up the boost and run better fuel once you want more.

That is the cool thing with a turbo is the HP is ajustable. Also once you have the investment in the turbo it is cheap up grade for big HP.

I run my NW/Ulmer racing kit from 8-12 PSI on av gas and it is awsome. but allen can get me to 17 PSI for about $1500 for a bigger turbo and fuel pump and regulator.

T
Dec 14, 2007
Alamosa, CO
I've got the 180 kit and absolutely LOVE IT. I too don't look for huge chutes to climb. Just not my thing. I do climb some pretty decent hills and the 180 has handled them all beautifully so far. I do a lot of boondocking in the trees and have been really impressed there as well. It's just plain awesome in my opinion. 180 hp is a perfect fit for my riding style. I felt like 240 would be overkill for me so I went with 180 and have not been disappointed in the least to this point. As with all turbos, there is some lag but it's pretty minimal and hasn't caused me any problems. I haven't experienced any problems with cold starting either. I'm a very happy camper.:D

When it comes right down to it 240 or 180 is going to come down to your riding style and what you want the sled to do for you. If you aren't into climbing huge chutes, then the 180 would be a great option for you IMHO. Either way you go you are going to have to deal with a sore face from smiling so much each and every time you ride.

Last edited:
S

scarlier

Dec 29, 2009
Sicamous, BC
180 or 240

thx for all the info. it is a big help. most likely going with 240 and try to hang in there with my buddies and their T-TM1000's.;)

Premium Features