• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Making a Small Sled Faster

M
Jan 23, 2009
Columbia Falls, MT
Have two kitty kats and one zr120. Other than adjusting limit stop screw (on kitty kat) and zip tying the spring to the governor arm, is there any other adjustment a person can do to make faster before spending money on aftermarket parts?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Have two kitty kats and one zr120. Other than adjusting limit stop screw (on kitty kat) and zip tying the spring to the governor arm, is there any other adjustment a person can do to make faster before spending money on aftermarket parts?

umm hook it to the back of your sled?..just joking...there is all sorts of stuff aftermarket wise..but stock the only thing you could do is go find a bigger briggs and stratton and drop it in....(that I know of anyway)you might try some of the junior dragster suppliers (like jegs) and see what they show...

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
120 hi-perf parts.

My daughter has a 2008 DRAGON 120, she's been riding it since 3 1/2 years old, I did the governor bypass last season for her at her request.

I added the rear shock kit, fabbed it myself with advice from a post on www.hardcoresleddder.com in the 120 section, costs approx $30.00, works great.

I was told the next step is gearing once the governor is by-passed.

www.goodwinperformance.com

Greg Goodwin, Zion, Illinois

After a few mods, and depending on how far you want to take it, it might be more cost effective to go with the larger engine that Alaska Rider Mike suggested.

I personally see her using this sled one more season max, she's 5 1/2 now, and then I'll look for a leftover still brand new POLARIS 340 fan cooled sled. You can pick up one of those out of season for approx $3400.

Considering that I paid $2200.00 for the 120 Dragon, that's a deal.

Put some pink graphics onto the 340 and it'll make a splendid Christmas gift.

The only other option I'm aware of is that new 3/4 sled company (Recreational Motorsports) with the mostly made in China sled for $3000-$4000 depending on engine size.

Hope this helps.

R
Nov 28, 2009
look up thw honda gx200 or if you want more thers other modles of motors for these sleds like the honda gx390 they drop in easy just need to change the steering rod

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
When the 120 got too slow for my oldest I moved him up to a bigger sled. Aftermarket parts to make those things faster are more expensive than a different sled a lot of the time. If they aren't big enough for a bigger sled then they probably don't need to go any faster than they already are. Just my opinion.

S

shredder

Nov 26, 2007
i put a rec motors 200 in my kids mini rev. cost em a few hundred bucks. it flies now. he is 6 and it has plenty of power. it probably goes about 30 wide open. i think hell be ready for a 340 or 380 when hes 8 or 9.
the guy from recmotors suggests putting crisco or pam on the stock slides to make the sled go faster (even if its stock). seems a little messy to me so i havent done it, but i though i would pass it on.
scott

S

sno_mo_racer

Oct 28, 2009
Kugluktuk Nunavut
Don't think there is anything besides the governor bypass. But here is a good package for the cat 120 and look elsewhere on that site. There is a tech tips for 120's somewhere in there.

..SNAKEBIT..

Lifetime Membership
Jun 24, 2004
Iowa
If you are thinking the Honda 200 way, check like Harbor Freight they sale Honda CLONES for @ $100 on sale sometimes, we have been running them on our backyard go-karts for 2 years and have only lost one and that was my fault air filter came loose and it sucked it LOTS of dust, but I had the 25 dollar warranty (free replacement)

PM me if you have any questions on these motors, tons of aftermarket goodies also if wanted

1badcowboy

Oct 26, 2008
Elko NV
a guy i know pulled the motor out and bored it. when i was 9 i was riding a 700rmk like the other user said it is cheaper to buy a nice used sled that trying to mod out those little sleds. and with bigger sleds there are ways to slow them down. my dad sure figured it out and it made me mad

S

sno_mo_racer

Oct 28, 2009
Kugluktuk Nunavut
Don't think there is anything besides the governor bypass. But here is a good package for the cat 120 and look elsewhere on that site. There is a tech tips for 120's somewhere in there.

Wow, thought the link showed up there. Sorry. They have tech tips also and some good parts. Just a matter of how much you willing to spend. Bigger engine, or some packages with gears and other stuff for it to go faster....

www.recmotor.com

And also some good service, called them and they were happy to answer any questions.

Premium Features