• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08/09 MCX Nytro kit questions.

K

Keithcat

Nov 27, 2007
Im looking at an older Nytro with an early MCX kit. It has the external oil tank and the non slash muffler tip. Was there any issues with the early kits. This one is the 240 kit.

I noticed in 2010 that MCX did quite a bit of updates to the kits. Was there anything major that changed. Would you avoid the early kits?

Thanks,

M
Jan 14, 2004
The control box is probably the only thing to keep an eye on, the newer styles are better, mine has been replaced. I have the same kit with 5000+ miles on it, its been awesome. The good thing is it has the non problematic brown injectors. All in all the 240 kit is a very good package.

M5

red

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Im new to the nytro/mcx game as of last weekend. Been riding my TRX1 still. Picked up a nytro with a 240 hp kit. Anybody have pictures of how to make it a 270 kit? Or manual I could borrow? How does one tell if it has older kit or new kit? Where was/is this extranal oil tank? Since brown injectors are good, which ones are bad? Can brown ones be put in ?

M
Jan 14, 2004
Im new to the nytro/mcx game as of last weekend. Been riding my TRX1 still. Picked up a nytro with a 240 hp kit. Anybody have pictures of how to make it a 270 kit? Or manual I could borrow? How does one tell if it has older kit or new kit? Where was/is this extranal oil tank? Since brown injectors are good, which ones are bad? Can brown ones be put in ?

MCX had a run of crappy injectors in 2010 and 2011 I think it was. They are black and have a tendency to stick open flooding the engine. In order to go to a 270 kit you need to change turbos from the 16T to the 19T and have the box re-flashed. If you are a straight up chute climber then ya maybe but for just riding around boondocking etc. the 240 kit is lots. Because it has the smaller 16T it spools a bit quicker but makes more heat at WFO. I usually run mine at about 13lbs or so, seems like a sweet spot for the Nytro motor. When I had my Nypex there was no comparison the Nypex absolutely smoked the Nytro but the Nytro would go anywhere the Nypex did except the nastiest climbs. I actually preferred riding the Nytro because of the crankshaft placement in relation to the engine mounts .

M5

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
MCX had a run of crappy injectors in 2010 and 2011 I think it was. They are black and have a tendency to stick open flooding the engine. In order to go to a 270 kit you need to change turbos from the 16T to the 19T and have the box re-flashed. If you are a straight up chute climber then ya maybe but for just riding around boondocking etc. the 240 kit is lots. Because it has the smaller 16T it spools a bit quicker but makes more heat at WFO. I usually run mine at about 13lbs or so, seems like a sweet spot for the Nytro motor. When I had my Nypex there was no comparison the Nypex absolutely smoked the Nytro but the Nytro would go anywhere the Nypex did except the nastiest climbs. I actually preferred riding the Nytro because of the crankshaft placement in relation to the engine mounts .

M5

Don't forget the fpr, else a "true" MCX270 is as M5 says.
But you don't need the 19T to get 270hp, i know lots that upgraded to 270,
FPR and a reflash is all you need, talk to Mark or a MCX dealer.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
The gen 1 240 kits actually where 270 kits, just had the boost turned down. Do you have an external fuel pump? All I had to do to mine was turn up the boost fuel map and pump where gtg.

M
Jan 14, 2004
The big issue with running a 240 kit at 270 is the turbo. If your 240 kit has a 16T as mine does above 13-14 lbs boost the turbo is beyond the efficiency line on the compressor map. So yes you can turn it up but the penalty is excessive heat which will result in cracking headers like crazy. It's the same issue that the 260 Apex kit originally had when MCX came out with the 310 programming, which was crap BTW. The 16T is pretty well dimensionally identical to a Garrett GT2554 both which like to be at 13-14lbs max. I have the compressor map someplace for the 16T, I'll see if I can dig it up.

M5

Premium Features