• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

s-36 install issues...

R
Nov 2, 2012
breckenridge, co
Hey guys, so I'm putting the s 36 on my 2008 XP, and I am having trouble getting the shocks on. It seems they are to wide for the top mount, I was able to force them in after some filing, but it doesn't seem right. it seems that this tight of a fit would affect the shock travel.thanks

Last edited:
R
Nov 2, 2012
breckenridge, co
Anybody? How about anyone that has removed there hpg plus shocks? Was the top mount real tight? Was there any sort of sleeve or is it just the metal part of bushing against the mount. Please help this thing has been driving me crazy and winter is winding down!!!

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Are you talking about the shocks that come with the kit? Have you compared them against the shocks you took off? Should be the same, and they should fit tight, but easily installed by hand (no filing necessary). And there is no sleeve. Install the top end first, then connect the bottom to the A-arm.

R
Nov 2, 2012
breckenridge, co
yeah, the stock go on fine, no resistance. And yes these are the kyb shocks that come in the s-36 kit. they seem to be the same size on top and bottom, they dont really fit either way, but I am trying to install according to the instructions. I really dont get it, only thing i can think is maybe the bolts where over tightened and squished the mounts in a bit.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
Fit them at the top first, and fit both shocks at the top before trying to get either of them into the a-arms.
Sometimes the gap at the top doesnt align 100% with the tabs on the a-arms and the top is VERY tight.

free2fawl

Lifetime Membership
Nov 19, 2010
McCall ID
Mine didn't fit in the top mounts at all. I figuered it probably had to do with some of the bent A-arms and broken shock, and one front bumber. So I carefully tapped the top in with a big hammer. Toms snowmobile was rebuilding and shortening my Fox shocks. They fit fine.

D
Jan 26, 2011
Northern BC
Just installed S36 on my '09 XP and yes the upper shock mounts were tight. Light persuasion with dead-blow hammer was required to convince both upper shock eyelets to align. Shouldn't require any filing. Mine also have a loose flat washer on the bulkhead side of the mount, managed to keep it there.

Any signs of damage to the mount?

W

wakeska813

Nov 5, 2011
when installing mine we put a little bit of chassis grease on the shock where is slides into the mount, makes it easier for install.

R
Nov 2, 2012
breckenridge, co
Yeah, I did smash my bumper pretty good not to long ago, so maybe that force tweaked the mounts.... Anyway, had her out on Saturday and it felt awesome!! Its like riding a dirt bike now instead of a quat. Can't wait to get the '10 center shock on there...

Premium Features