• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

15 Viper Turbo

friscospices.com

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Nebraska
www.friscospices.com
Well I think i have decided to add another pony to the stable. I am thinking of getting the new Viper mountain sled and have it set up with a turbo. I currently ride a Pro Rmk Turbo and enjoy it very much. I just want to try another motor with a bit more torque. I am on the fence on which turbo to get if I should go with the MPI kit or the mcxpress kit. I know there will be a difference in price after all said and done about 4k but is the mcx worth the extra $$. I want an intercooler along with the reliability. Whats everyones thoughts? I need some help making up my mind since I am unfamiliar with 4s turbo sleds your input will be well valued in my decision. One more chioce would be the supercharger route?

Last edited:

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
IMO - Go with what your dealer knows/supports.

I have been very happy with my MPI kit on my Nytro - it is the snow check kit they offered for 2012. I added a boost gauge and it has been gas & go.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
I have built 3 turbo pro's so I will more than likly do the work myself.

Got it.

I think the most cost effective route might be to snow check the LE with the MPI kit and then add the components you want. Contact Matt@MPI and he will be able to get you the info you want from the MPI side.

Mark at Leipheimer(sp) Yamaha in Montana is the guy I would go to in the US for anything MCX related.

tk

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
We will be offer several upgrade that can be made to the base turbo kit. The base kit is designed to be gas and go 6 PSI 180-190 hp. We'll have a stage 1 upgrade the will include an intercooler, high boost waste gate, and a headshim. That will bump the power up to 230-240 hp. You can use the headshim if you want to run pump gas or not if you want to run race gas. This kit will retail for $1500.00. Stage 2 will also get the intercooler, high boost waste gate, and headshim but will also include a new larger Mitsubishi 19T turbo, Billet blow off valve, injectors, and fuel controller. This kit will retail for $3000.00. It will give you 270-290 hp. We also have a light weight muffler, fuel pump upgrade, head studs etc. I'll make an official post this week that will break everything down.<O:p</O:p

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
I think the best value would be to get the snowcheck MPI, and if you want to upgrade, you have the option. From what I can tell, (new to 4 stroke turbo as well) the MCX 270hp kit uses the same turbo as MPI's stage 2 and I am sure its similar in hard parts, but it retails for $6700. The MPI will cost $5000... So that leaves you with $1700 for lightweight mods or for gas... The other kit to look at is the new EVO kit which should be in the same realm of price and looks like a super clean kit. I am excited to try one of these. From all the ride reports it sounds like the real deal. Heard the low end torque is awesome compared to a two stroke turbo and the weight isn't really that noticeable.

J
Nov 27, 2007
? for mpi

not to familiar with the mpi kits, do they adjust boost like the mcx. I have run mcx on my last four sleds and love the don't touch system. I have riden them from 2000 to 12000 feet and only see 50 rpm change on the throttle. Maybe I am getting lazy but I cringe at the thought of going back to changing clutching or tuning to ride different elevations.. julio

friscospices.com

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Nebraska
www.friscospices.com
Matt, do the stage 1, 2, 3 kits have complete clutching etc? how much for install? I may do this on my own but may opt to do my own and save a few bucks for somelight weight goodies when they come available.

I want a pull and go system like my pro is now, the only change i ever need to make is adjust boost for elevation. clutch weights are middle of the road set up so if I ride at 6k i use 6 to 7 psi to get rpm's correct and if I go to 11k i just adjust boost up to get the rpm's correct.

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
Matt, do the stage 1, 2, 3 kits have complete clutching etc? how much for install? I may do this on my own but may opt to do my own and save a few bucks for somelight weight goodies when they come available.

I want a pull and go system like my pro is now, the only change i ever need to make is adjust boost for elevation. clutch weights are middle of the road set up so if I ride at 6k i use 6 to 7 psi to get rpm's correct and if I go to 11k i just adjust boost up to get the rpm's correct.

When we know what the final clutch spec is for the stock sled we'll know what needs to be changed. But will have clutching set-up for all altitudes. I don't know what people are going to charge for install. <O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

I don't think we can give you "PULL and go" but we can give you "KEY and go". We have a couple of different options we can do for boost adjusting. <O:p</O:p

A

APEXXPRESS

Nov 28, 2007
www.mcxpressusa-orders.com
MC-XPRESS Viper Turbo Kit

The MCX Viper Turbo kit retails for 5995. This also runs on pump fuel (premium) . And will self adjust boost pressure to try to maintain 270 Hp at any elevation.No adjusting ,Just ride and hang on !

J
Nov 27, 2007
hello

not to familiar with the mpi kits, do they adjust boost like the mcx. I have run mcx on my last four sleds and love the don't touch system. I have riden them from 2000 to 12000 feet and only see 50 rpm change on the throttle. Maybe I am getting lazy but I cringe at the thought of going back to changing clutching or tuning to ride different elevations.. julio

did you skip me ?

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Julio: On the MPI kit you adjust the boost by the wastegate rod. If you are running the higher elevation with more boost, your clutching will be OK. Lower elevation lower boost and so forth.

Premium Features