• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

180 MCX Upgrade?

S

sleslie

Aug 10, 2009
Lacombe, Alberta
Well i ride mostly in Revelstoke, Golden And Valemount, probably on average between 6000'-7000'. My sled is a 2009 Nytro with a 162" Camo Extreme track. I have never done anything to the clutch, so it is all stock, except for whatever came with the MCX kit when i had it installed a couple years ago. I do go through belts quite regularily, but my local dealer has pretty much ignored all my concerns, other than checking clutch alignment which i was told was fine. I've got a vent kit installed already so i don't think venting is the issue. I'm a pretty big guy, probably close to 300lbs with all my gear. I know there is probably a better setup than what i have, but i'm a clutching dummy and don't even know where to start.

Last edited:

jmaracle2002@yahoo.com

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Innisfail, Alberta
Well i ride mostly in Revelstoke, Golden And Valemount, probably on average between 6000'-7000'. My sled is a 2009 Nytro with a 162" Camo Extreme track. I have never done anything to the clutch, so it is all stock, except for whatever came with the MCX kit when i had it installed a couple years ago. I do go through belts quite regularily, but my local dealer has pretty much ignored all my concerns, other than checking clutch alignment which i was told was fine. I've got a vent kit installed already so i don't think venting is the issue. I'm a pretty big guy, probably close to 300lbs with all my gear. I know there is probably a better setup than what i have, but i'm a clutching dummy and don't even know where to start.

If you have factory stock clutching, then im guessing thats your issue. I have an 08 Nytro with 162 as well, I bought my MCX 180 kit from Darren at E&S motorsports, he sent the proper parts and instructions for clutching a Nytro with the 180 MCX kit, haven't had any issue with mine. I dont know his number off hand but he's not hard to find on here or just on the net. I'd give him a call, or Cody from Robertson Yamaha, he's done a ton MCX kits, very knowledgable, he'd be a great person to call on as well.

T

towerrigger

Jul 9, 2008
Please report back on how you like it. I may have to send my ECU in and get it done. $160 is pretty cheap for an extra 10 HP.

The kit is called a 190+. How much is "+"? Has MCXpress actually dynoed this?

I had a chance to take the Nytro out this weekend. I haven't ridden an MCX kit on a Nytro before. I had a Ulmer kit before this. Really impressed with the power so far. Holds the skis in the air for as long as you want, something I never experienced with the other kit. AFR #'s were right around 12.5 once the boost came on. A little rich at idle as it was sitting around 11.5. I'd rather be rich than lean. Big Thanks to Cody for setting me up with this kit!:face-icon-small-hap

A

apex1001

Sep 20, 2008
My "old" 180 kit with excell header boost 0,45 bar,dynoed at McX gave 203,9hp so i´m pleased.

Last edited:

ntm_08

Lifetime Membership
May 21, 2009
What exactly do this reprogramming change ? When the fuel mapping is the same. Is it only the tcv program that is reprogrammed, what is changed ?

Why do the remap when you just turn the wastegate rod or booscontroller to add boost.

The 180 and 190 fuel mapping is the same. Add boost and go.

AFR gauge is always important to have. 12.5 - 13 is perfect on the nytro engine.

7000km (+5000km stock) on the 180 kit and still runs like a champ.

T

torqmonster

Dec 2, 2007
Fairview, Alberta
Well, I got the ecu back from prince george, cranked up the rod 1.5 turns and away I went. The mid range is similar but has way more top end, continues to pull for miles. Seems to run smoother/leaner in the midrange, before it seemed a little rich. Nice upgrade.

K

kimoaj

Jan 5, 2011
I also wonder what the remap really does? I thought the injectors already delivered as much as they could deliver.

I`m thinking of installing a manual boost controller and and AFR gauge and maybe increase the boost alittle. But, I need to know that I am not doing anything wrong.
I´ve ridden 2000kms with the 180kit and so far it hasnt missed a single beat, no problems whatsoever. I do not pay attention to the boost all the time, I do have a boost gauge with peak recall and warning function when the boost is to high, but I have never really payed attention to the TCV that it is actually doing its job properly and increasing the pressure as the altitude increases.

Two of my friends are running manual boost controllers and says it is the way to go, one of them is ntm_08.

For me to run more boost it has to be 100% safe, a breakdown would not only ruin the season but it will also mean that alot of savings (which I btw dont have) will disappear.
Another thing are all the comments and **** from my two joke friends.
For me that would be like.. horrible.

Hmm

S

SNAFU

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary
Well, I got the ecu back from prince george, cranked up the rod 1.5 turns and away I went. The mid range is similar but has way more top end, continues to pull for miles. Seems to run smoother/leaner in the midrange, before it seemed a little rich. Nice upgrade.

So how much boost are you running now at elevation (say 6500 ft)? I was about 9 psi with the stock 180 kit. Sounds like you didn't change your clutching.

neumann

Lifetime Membership
Mar 10, 2011
MCX 190 Clutching

Did guys that had their clutching dialed in at 180 need to adjust their clutching when they went to 190? Just want to know what I am in for before I send my box in?

S

SNAFU

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary
I haven't ridden since mine was updated, but I don't plan on changing anything until I do. I was pulling about 8500 RPM before the upgrade and I am not sure what to expect with another 10 HP. Maybe an extra 100 RPM???

J

judger101

Sep 2, 2008
Washburn, ND
so im looking at sending my box in to get this 190 upgrade. who exactly does this and who do I need to contact? Also anyone have any updates on how it is performing?

Premium Features