• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

180 MPI Supercharged Nytro?

D
Feb 16, 2008
MONTANA
Im looking for any advice as far as the MPI supercharger 180 Kit. I dont see too many for sale, so people must really like em? Im new to boost and have my eye one one of these with the supercharger. Ive been told for throttle response they cant be beat. Im not a long hill climber, so Im not worried about the high end capability as a turbo might have an advantage there? Im looking to hear from people who are running the factory setup supercharger that came with the sleds. How does it perform "out of the box"? How does the recommended clutching setup work? Does it meet all your expectations, and if not what have you had problems with/been disappointed with? Any help greatly appreciated...

A.Granath

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Sundsvall - Sweden
My nytro got a mpi 180 s/c for this season, the reason to why i got a supercharger instead of a turbo (i live in Sweden, home of mcx) where mainly the price, mxc turbos 180/240/270 rarely come out on the second hand market... so i manage to get a hold of a mpi180 kit for almost half price of a new mcx180.

If you compare the mpi vs mcx, mcx have a lot of advantage BUT mpi have some nice features also.

MPI
+ Clean install, sled look stock from the outside
+ Sound levels are stock
+ Throttle response is great

- Outputs less hp compared to boost
- GEMS, complicated to adjust, afr reader is a must
- Tricky to adjust clutches, rpms needs to be exact to not loose hp/boost
- No altitude boost/fuel compensation (gems needs to be adjusted and pulles to be changed)
- Puts more wheight on the front of your sled
- Poor website from early nineties, no option to email for support.

A.Granath

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Sundsvall - Sweden
My sled is a -09 xtx 144" with a 2" CE track, overall the sled performs well with my mpi setup, 28/28 pulleys for 6-7 psi. Half throttle will lift your skis from the snow, and full throttle give nice wheelys :face-icon-small-ton

With a mountain sled +153" and +2,5" lugs 180hp is not enough..

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
Don't get the super. There are no advantages. Throttle response on the 180 turbo kits is awesome. In my opinion the supers come on too hard. By time the clutches get engaged there is already a lot of boost and it hits too hard. The turbo is easy to feather and come on smooth. The Nytro's biggest disadvantage in maneuverability is the front end weight. You slap another 25 lbs on the front then where are you?

C
Oct 31, 2010
Terrace bc
I don't know if you are worried about fuel mileage because
The s/c is not good on fuel like the turbo and the 180 kit for a turbo is snappy
As hell

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
TURBO. no belts to break, no supercharger to seize up, much less weight on front end. Plus the turbo will out perform the supercharger any day at same boost

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Im looking for any advice as far as the MPI supercharger 180 Kit...

If you are seriously thinking about going down this road, take an hour and read each the following threads.

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264215

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271114

Then look at these for more "interesting" comments
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/search.php?searchid=9846

Make no mistake.
I LOVE my Supercharged Nytro.
I may well buy a 2nd Supercharger this summer and so a 2nd install.
BUT.
I really didn't know Jack about them when I dove in!!

Go in with your EYES WIDE OPEN and you will have a blast with them, but understand what you are getting yourself into.

The BRAND NEW UNITS that just started shipping in the last couple weeks have a much better fuel control system and should behave far better than mine did!

mtnxr

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Colorado
I have had a SC Apex for 4 years and it has been a blast to ride. Now I also have a Push 180 Nytro and it is a blast to ride. They are different but both fun and it depends on what you like. I ride with 2 other SC Nytros that work real well. Just for the record....my SC seized up Sunday after 4k miles of fun but I also know of turbo failures in fewer miles than that. I think the failures are rare but can happen. 4 strokes are definitely better on boost!:face-icon-small-ton

Premium Features