• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

174 Nytro Questions

n2otoofast4u

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2010
So it looks like Im in for another year so that means a complete remodel.

Im going to change to either a CR or VE tunnel in a 174, and Id REALLY like to go 3" (for no reason other than to say Ive got one).. Heres the questions

1- It looks on tracks USA that the 174x3 only comes in 16 wide. Will a 16 fit in the nytro? I see where it appears people are doing it. My tape measure says its gonna be REALLY tight if it does.

2- It also appears that the 3" only come in what I call the "older" style that have the notches cut into the top of the paddle rather than flat on top like the newer design is. Anyone know what the deal is with.

Any additional advise would be appreciated.

THANKS

Last edited:
B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
it will but you need to adress your front cooler with the nytro for clearance.i have one in mine, did the van am cooler delete but if i did it again would do the cr one.i want to cut my track to 15 wide it took away the side to side flickability alot.

n2otoofast4u

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2010
I knew about the cooler issues. Does your sled get hot with the delete? How tight is that 16 in your VE tunnel?

H

higherpower

Nov 28, 2007
North Pole AK
16 wide will fit with aftermarket tunnel. Impulse has a front cooler mod to fit the three inch track. I am in the process of installing one now. I used a bandsaw to trim the track down to about fifteen and half inches.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
I knew about the cooler issues. Does your sled get hot with the delete? How tight is that 16 in your VE tunnel?

its real tight even with it perfect alined i still get some rubbing,i have the big double pass cooler no cooling issues. i have my rad deleted too just run the tunnel cooler.

n2otoofast4u

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2010
After the snow show this weekend and talking to the d**k head camoplast rep. Im all over the board now. The "new" 162 has more paddle surface area than a 174 and is 20# lighter. "nobody runs the 174 so we arent going to waste money on that mold until atleast next year" So you buy a 1k+ track, trim it, and its outdated junk in 12 months? Im pretty stuck on the 174 after my previous experience with them but man between 20# and the $ difference I dont know now!

Last edited:
I
Dec 22, 2010
kelowna
Not sure what type of riding you do, but i would say that if the 174 x 3 were just to say you have one , i would stick with 162. The hook up on the 174 is awesome. You will prob get many different opinions, but i am really happy with mine. Any advantage i can use to keep skiis close to the snow works for me.
Again its what you ride. Just a simple opinion. cheers

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
Taking a risk. Give me your opinion please. I have a 08 nytro that I put a 162" challenger and turbo last years ago. Now I would like to put the new 174" challenger extreme. I've never been on a 174 so I don't know if I will like it (flotation and climbing). I ride in the trees, like to take jumps and play on the hill (from side hilling to high marking). I'm not concerned about the handle in the trees. My concern is strength of the tunnel. It has a timbersled skid with ice age rails. I'm not extending the tunnel and I didn't when I went with the 162 track. My tunnel has been modified with a skinz boards and rear bumper. The 162 is flush with the tunnel right now so I know that the 174 will extend out farther probably < 6 inches. I'm almost thinking I should stick with the 162 but I have already ordered the rails from iceage. I haven't bought the track. I'm sitting on the fence and need someone to push me one way or the other. I'm concerned about the tunnel. Is it going to be strong enough? I'm looking at a 174"x15"x2.5" challenger extreme.

Last edited:

n2otoofast4u

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2010
Ridding a 174 on a 162 tunnel was scary at best. Rather then drag the bumper when it got vertical it would just rotate over on itself. I've got pictures of my sled standing on its own andcstuck as it digs straight down and pics of me still riding it out beyond 90°. Its a total balancing act. I encourage 174 as long as the rest of the setup is up to par.

M
Jan 14, 2004
You need to ask yourself the honest question about where you ride and what are the conditions ususally like, not just the 1 or 2 days when its stupid deep. If its like that everyday then maybe yah but otherrwise that's a lot of track and I've seen them huck paddles. Did you mention if you are turboed up?

M5

apex jeff

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
columbia falls mt
Taking a risk. Give me your opinion please. I have a 08 nytro that I put a 162" challenger and turbo last years ago. Now I would like to put the new 174" challenger extreme. I've never been on a 174 so I don't know if I will like it (flotation and climbing). I ride in the trees, like to take jumps and play on the hill (from side hilling to high marking). I'm not concerned about the handle in the trees. My concern is strength of the tunnel. It has a timbersled skid with ice age rails. I'm not extending the tunnel and I didn't when I went with the 162 track. My tunnel has been modified with a skinz boards and rear bumper. The 162 is flush with the tunnel right now so I know that the 174 will extend out farther probably < 6 inches. I'm almost thinking I should stick with the 162 but I have already ordered the rails from iceage. I haven't bought the track. I'm sitting on the fence and need someone to push me one way or the other. I'm concerned about the tunnel. Is it going to be strong enough? I'm looking at a 174"x15"x2.5" challenger extreme.

Go with the 174" and don't look back. It isn't that hard to do a tunnel extension, your stock tunnel is plenty strong. Next time you're in the parking lot put that 162" next to the other 3s long tracks 162" or 163", I think you'll notice the nytro runs so much track uphill and uses such large idlers that there is not as much track on the snow. The 174" evens the field IMHO.

Premium Features