• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Corking hand warmers

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I use shrink tube, it works awesome.

LudicrousSpeed

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2012
The shorty bars that I have put on have a layer of foam inbetween and work great. I think this was changed on all bars from the pro to axys.

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
on my 16, I couldn't run them very long on high or they would be hot. On the 850 they changed something (i believe in the stator) that puts out more power so they will warm up/get hot even when it's idling. I would run them and see what you think before changing anything. The thumb warmer left a lot to be desired on the 16, doubt anything has changed for the new one

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Yes. remove grips and hand warmers, install shrink tube on the bars, install hand warmers and grips. I just did it to my 850.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
On all my sleds with protapers I install cork.

https://www.gobigparts.com/SPI-HANDLEBAR-HEATER-INSULATORS.html?category_id=277

40-4167.jpg

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Have any of you found a way to remove and replace the stock heaters without damage and make them stick again.

Ya the thumb heaters are pretty much non existent..

Last edited:

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Have any of you found a way to remove and replace the stock heaters without damage and make them stick again.

Very carefully with a heat gun but you do end up loosing the foam like backer.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
So they have a foam backer and still don't get very hot or is corking just alot better.

I think the foam backer helps but.....I typically change out my handlebars before my sleds even hit the snow. Once you start taking the hand warmers off, the foam backer ends up coming apart and you cannot re use it.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Once you start taking the hand warmers off, the foam backer ends up coming apart and you cannot re use it.

Yep that is what usually happens to me.
A guy generally it seems, ends up paying a lot more ( New Handwarmers) just to get cork the bars initially-
That is why I asked- seems like they ( the stock warmers) get damaged,peeling them off.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com

I use an airgun to remove grips. The heaters just peel of carefully. Then I use some contact cement to put back on. Paint the heating element and the bars per directions. Then once dry for several minutes stick them back around your new placed cork that is already on the bars.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Yep that is what usually happens to me.
A guy generally it seems, ends up paying a lot more ( New Handwarmers) just to get cork the bars initially-
That is why I asked- seems like they ( the stock warmers) get damaged,peeling them off.

I've never had to buy new handwarmers after pealing stock ones off. I just take my time, peel them them and then clean the rest of the foam backer that is left behind off as well. I then just use 3M adhesive and glue the warmers back on.

Premium Features