• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Just bought a boat

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Why unplug the lights? Just thinking this through, there is insufficient conductivity in the water to load the electrical system and the water would not hurt anything else other than thermal shock to the bulb?? I expect that is the reason?

I agree with you, but this will start a debate worthy of it's own thread.

Lake Powell

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2016
Silt, Colorado
Why unplug the lights? Just thinking this through, there is insufficient conductivity in the water to load the electrical system and the water would not hurt anything else other than thermal shock to the bulb?? I expect that is the reason?

Have had customer's boat trailers blow the bulbs and then the trailer fuses or older vehicles blow the regular fuses. Probably most times nothing happens.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
Life will be so much easier if your wife learns to back down the trailer; just practice!

My wife couldn't back a trailer either. We practiced during a quiet time at the boat ramp- wife would back the boat and I stood outside, by the truck coaching her.

She would back down, pull out then come back in like it was the first time launching and repeat the process. After about 10-15 practice runs, she was a pro.

Backing the trailer, IMO, is easier than loading the type of boat you have. As loading the boat you almost have to lick it and stick it...is that how the saying goes?! Almost have to come in a little hot as easier to keep the boat straight.

And when you are in the water, when in reverse the boat will only go back and to the right. So plan for limited backing maneuvering.

Before loading the boat dip the bunks completely in the water, helps longevity of life for the bunk pads.

Post some pics of your new boat!

C
Feb 8, 2008
Go to lake in the middle of the week for your first time. The lake is less crowded and you can get comfortable with the boat.
When you launch and load just do the extra work and tie the boat to the dock. Your wife will eventually help out when she feels comfortable.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Or...................
Tell her that you girlfriend is really good at backing a trailer, and that she would be willing to give lessons.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Have had customer's boat trailers blow the bulbs and then the trailer fuses or older vehicles blow the regular fuses. Probably most times nothing happens.

Nope, not a thing. Plus most all newer boats have a reverse lockout on the surge brakes that requires the lights to be plugged in unless you lock them out the old fashioned way with a bolt or screwdriver or quarter, depending on the brake system.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Or...................
Tell her that you girlfriend is really good at backing a trailer, and that she would be willing to give lessons.

Lol!
Seriously, new boater, do a few practice launches and load ups when the ramp is empty.
You don't HAVE to power on and off.
Wife used to drive the truck and I the boat. Since her right arm is permanently F d up she has trouble with the manual trans in the old Dodge. Most of the time unless I have another experienced captain or trailer backer upper with, we walk the boat off and back on. It "might" take another 30-60 seconds.
Kids hook up 2 dock lines. 1 Sit in the boat. I dunk the boat and they pull/ control it over to the dock. Boat never touches the dock btw.
Same for load up. Back trailer very close to dock and a bit deeper than power loading. Kids walk the boat back on and hook it up.

Just practice. A few times. Loading and unloading is the hardest part for new folks.
Enjoy! A day on the water is as awesome as a day on the snow!

Premium Features