• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

10" Wheel kit

ArcticChat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2014
I'm surprised people are talking about "wheelies" for the reason sleds have been using larger and larger rear wheels.

"What about the claim that ALPHA ONE is more efficient than traditional systems?

The larger 10-inch rear idler wheels on ALPHA ONE are more efficient, with less loss of power. When measured, ALPHA ONE delivers an efficiency that translates into a 3- to 5-horsepower advantage."

http://www.arcticinsider.com/Article/The-FAQs-on-ALPHA-ONE

ArcticChat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2014
You know you’ll see every manufacturer with 10” wheels in the next couple years

I also would expect others to drop and roll the chaincase/belt drive to allow larger drivers. Lots of people forget there are two main "wheels" the track is wrapping 180 deg around.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
easier to ride (balance) a wheelie the bigger the back wheels get I would think. maybe that makes you the wheelie monster.
I don't get how they could make temps rise?
I think 10" is a waste unless you have the 3.5 pitch track, or you trying to suck up track length for some reason.
the single-rail alpha might need them to help keep track in line also.

No, they don't wheelie any easier. Been there done that.

I'm surprised people are talking about "wheelies" for the reason sleds have been using larger and larger rear wheels.

"What about the claim that ALPHA ONE is more efficient than traditional systems?

The larger 10-inch rear idler wheels on ALPHA ONE are more efficient, with less loss of power. When measured, ALPHA ONE delivers an efficiency that translates into a 3- to 5-horsepower advantage."

http://www.arcticinsider.com/Article/The-FAQs-on-ALPHA-ONE

I'm surprised too. The size of the wheel doesn't change the wheelie characteristics.
Look at the picture with the green 10" idlers. Notice they are further up and forward in relation to the tension bolt. The barely take up an extra inch of track length.

You know you’ll see every manufacturer with 10” wheels in the next couple years

We didn't see that happen in 2003. It won't happen now. :)

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
I really wish I knew how to put my thought into intelligent words, but unfortunately I suck at typing my fingers no workie. I do think going bigger wheel does make the front end more playful, just my opinion tho so meh it is what it is.... but comparing todays sleds to 2003 sleds ill say meh to that too
face-icon-small-happy.gif
face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I can speak from direct experience of having 10" wheels, which very few can... It does NOT make the front more playful.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
they suck up track length, you can say whatever you want about that:pizza:

Yes, they suck up some track length.
You reduce rolling resistance, but that is debatable when you tighten the track back up. However, it seems like it should. The more circular the track, the easier it should be to turn.

Going from 8" wheels to 10" wheels moves the axle forward a little bit. Not much at all. Less than an inch.
To go to such a bigger wheel, you either need an offset axle it rail extensions that raise the axle slot appropriately like the offset axle would. Kurt Holland and Canada Sled Parts is THE MAN for that project.

You do loose clearance at the back of the tunnel. And if you don't have a rear kick-up, you'll rub. And it can have the potential to be catastrophic in a real serious compression.

Your overall footprint is reduced by less than......

attachment.php

1inchruler.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features