• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sticky secondary clutch.

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Don’t know what to call it exactly, but I call it a sticky clutch.

After some on and off throttle riding, and then coming to a stop. I have in the last two rides experienced that the secondary clutch wont close and push the belt to the top. The belt stays about 1/4 down in the secondary, and causes the belt to slip on the primary when im taking off again.
It even has caused the sled to bog and choke out because the primary gripped the belt, and since the belt was halfway down the secondary, the gearing would be to heavy for the speed and rpm.

Anybody else experienced this? My dealer has not heard of anyone else having this issue, but we are on.

Could it be the secondary spring not beeing stiff enough?

fudge313

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2015
Finland
Here some specs... If it helps..
954a0fc33e53f9b66e8512bb53eafdc2.jpg

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Since it is intermittent, i am leaning toward clutch binding. A weak spring is always weak, problems should be more consistent. Where binding would be more sporadic.
My thoughts anyways.

There are definately problems with the secondary's on the 18s

Sno jet's brother has reverse issues.

My sled sticks in low gear on steep descents. Almost threw my over the bars at 40mph when i hit the throttle last weekend, just like hitting the brakes. I have to lock up the track and hit the throttle and BAM! Secondary lets go.

Alpha Cat......

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Since it is intermittent, i am leaning toward clutch binding. A weak spring is always weak, problems should be more consistent. Where binding would be more sporadic.
My thoughts anyways.

There are definately problems with the secondary's on the 18s

Sno jet's brother has reverse issues.

My sled sticks in low gear on steep descents. Almost threw my over the bars at 40mph when i hit the throttle last weekend, just like hitting the brakes. I have to lock up the track and hit the throttle and BAM! Secondary lets go.

Alpha Cat......

Im having some reversenissues also, reverse fully works on flat surface with hard snow. But if its downhill, or with any snow making resistance the belt will slip and squeal.

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
I had it happen to me the other day, I was turning around in a tight area on really thick mushy snow. Put it in reverse and forward several times and then I went to take off and it was making a horrible squealing sound. Opened the cover and sure enough the belt was stuck in the secondary. it came out of it but I will defiantly be keeping an eye on it, I keep posted on more info

Sleddogg

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Dayton, WY
I'm wondering if this is my weird bog issue too. Happens when I chop the throttle a lot and is usually around 6100 rpm. Hmmm

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
The sheeves rotate with the helix cam, but the secondary compression spring is indexed at one end....
The secondary compression spring is being compressed but us also binding in the spring cup...notice the spring has paint rubbed off the sides and might even be slightly banana shaped...

Venom, bmp, SLP , all sell plastic friction reducing washers to help alleviate binding...

Or else try a tortional setup from bmp, Cutler, and others....probably need to match primary weight setup theory with tortional spring per manufactuer

fudge313

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2015
Finland
One problem is snow/water and factory skidplate.. Because powder snow comes in and melt. And it will end up bottom of the brakerotor cup and if there is no hole outside the water will shoot up on secondary...

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
One problem is snow/water and factory skidplate.. Because powder snow comes in and melt. And it will end up bottom of the brakerotor cup and if there is no hole outside the water will shoot up on secondary...

Hmm, going to check this on the weekend, easy enough to drill a hole if it is happening.

R
Apr 20, 2017
Reverse Issue

Has anyone taken their sled to their dealer for the secondary issue of what seems to be belt slippage when in reverse with any load?

M
Mar 1, 2008
Canada
I had the same problem with reverse in the last 5-6 rides and in the last 2, I had a drop in rpm and lack of backshift.

I disassembled the clutch to check and I discovered that the secondary sheave with helix stick when I moved it forward/reverse.

I installed a very thin delrin washer under the spring cup and VOILA, rpm came back, backshift is strong and no problem with reverse at my last ride!:face-icon-small-hap

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
I had the same problem with reverse in the last 5-6 rides and in the last 2, I had a drop in rpm and lack of backshift.

I disassembled the clutch to check and I discovered that the secondary sheave with helix stick when I moved it forward/reverse.

I installed a very thin delrin washer under the spring cup and VOILA, rpm came back, backshift is strong and no problem with reverse at my last ride!:face-icon-small-hap

Delrin washers can be obtained from BMP, And Venom/ Team, and SLP

fudge313

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2015
Finland

Thats interesting to see what happens when you have ridden for example 5000km, how good is the sping....? Because secondary spring keeps the belt tight............ When the spring dyes belt is looser....? At the beginning...

F

Fredrik

Nov 29, 2007
Will delrin washer from team tss-04 clutch fit team boss secondary.

B
Jul 28, 2011
This "sticky secondary issue" unfortunately is just the way these sleds are. You get used to it after you know it will happen. There is a notch in the helix used for reverse. At low speeds the roller sits into it when loaded by the track. You have to brake to unload the roller, then get on the gas to allow the roller to bypass the notch.

It's really not an issue once you know what is going on.

Premium Features