• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Project Tatermobile.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
And on another side note: (Which I am sure we are all concerned about when putting our little guys on big sleds.) Last ride out last year on the way back, Tater and I sent the wife and daughter back to the truck while we took one last rip down the bumps. Couple miles. I was on a 17 ZR6000 SX. Karhter (Tater) got to the end where I stopped without much of a wait on my part. I told him that he needed to chill out or he would get hurt. We headed back and I stopped to wait, he was nowhere to be seen. I waited a bit, was about to go find him and then I heard him coming, his sobs above the sounds of the engine. Little dude went too fast in the whoops, got bucked, hit has face on the bars and bit his tongue in several places, blood dripping off his chin. It slowed him down a bit for sure after that.
SO I was thinking that he needs a mountain bar, but that will hit him in the face even sooner. Maybe a taper bar like a mini bend, then put a mountain bar across the middle like a crossbar?

What is he using for a helmet?

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Ouch. A mountain bar similar to what Doo used to use is much more forgiving than a harder Polaris or Fabcraft one.
I’m using a Mtn Cat bar that is rigid but has a bunch of give to it. Another option, like you mentioned is to use a bar like a Protaper or CFR and use their bar pads.

My daughter is 11 and it’s already starting....I keep telling my wife I’m not ready for it. Some days I just have to walk away. She amazes me in ways I never knew. And we’ve barely scratched the surface. Oh man I’m glad she had two brothers coming behind her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Thanks for the info.! Wondering if I could bug you for a bit more?

How much did you remove from the radius rods in the end?

How much did it pick the front end up?

What is the ski stance dimension?

Did you happen to measure the angle of rods(installed on the machine)?

Do your shocks have preload adjusters on them?

Last but not least, how does it handle now? Bump steer? Etc....

Thanks again!

Glen

Oh crap, I just saw this, sorry!
Took the radius rods off, cut them down, and rethreaded them. Pain in the butt and took a while. I actually had to widen it back a touch from where I wanted it, as the shocks were hitting the bulk at full droop. But as the trailing arms came in, it naturally raised the front end due to the repositioning of the lower shock mount. Worked well.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Our Indy Lite build is very similar to yours.

We are currently running the older Polaris 136" X 1.75" track but just with extensions on the factory skid.

I have a skid out of a '05 550 RMK that I'd like to install this season as well.
Assuming you still have the tunnel from your donor sled, any chance you could share the skid mounting location dimensions? I'd like to avoid the swiss cheese look due to trial & error on our machine......LOL

136 skid out of an 08 Trail, we will pull all the wheels and add HRP scratchers that we pulled off something....old school Polaris 136 1.75 track, I think late 90's RMK.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Thanks, much appreciated!

What are your plans with regard to making room for the 1.75" track? Reason I ask is there was no mention of smaller drivers in your parts pile.....

Also, have you given any thought to gearing down?

The tunnel is long gone, but I wrote them down. Will share when I find the paper, lol.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
There is plenty of room, it has a 1.4 on it now. It will be geared down, I have boxes of stuff for that in stock.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
That's good, sounds like your set.

The older Lites seem to only accommodate up to an 1.25" track with the factory 9 tooth drivers.

FWIW, we're running 16/39 gearing with 7 tooth drivers and I feel we could even stand to go lower but I guess it just depends whether the kids will be venturing off the trail much or not.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Nice work on the tatermobile! Brings back a few memories. Our boys at 11 and 14 now don't want to ride the little machines and have a strong taste for my Pro and moms M7!
Regarding the running board risers for anyone who's little shredder is too short to engulf these old wide seats and actually reach the running boards....they work perfect.
I used a set of ski doo 2 up back passenger foot rests on the little ones 380 Doo. Easy bolt on mod that makes a huge difference. Instant stand up riding once the feet can reach the boards!

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Huh, that is a good idea on the risers.
It will be geared way way down. No need for him to go 55-60 anywhere, and he has two throttle settings on his thumb, lol.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Our Indy Lite build is very similar to yours.

We are currently running the older Polaris 136" X 1.75" track but just with extensions on the factory skid.

I have a skid out of a '05 550 RMK that I'd like to install this season as well.
Assuming you still have the tunnel from your donor sled, any chance you could share the skid mounting location dimensions? I'd like to avoid the swiss cheese look due to trial & error on our machine......LOL

Which extensions fit it?
The 136 skid won't work without a lot of work. The front plates have to be moved up into the wheelwell, the rear will need drop brackets to move the mounts below the boards. If I use the stock front holes, it will fit a 141-144 track. Not worth the effort for a sled that he will outgrow in a few months, just need to find extensions and call it good.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
I can get you the P/N of the extensions I used when I get home Wednesday afternoon / evening if that will work?

If you need it sooner Volcanobuster or Snow Duck might chime in with the info. as they have a similar builds......

Which extensions fit it?
The 136 skid won't work without a lot of work. The front plates have to be moved up into the wheelwell, the rear will need drop brackets to move the mounts below the boards. If I use the stock front holes, it will fit a 141-144 track. Not worth the effort for a sled that he will outgrow in a few months, just need to find extensions and call it good.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
It would be a good idea to call SLP to confirm that those extensions fit your machine.

Not sure what changes may have been made to the skids in 4 years?

Premium Features