• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1100 / M9000 owners

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
I read a lot of threads about the weight of the M1100, and make no mistake, they aren't light. But there is a lot of things one can do that aren't a lot of $$$ to make it ride lighter and handle better. I own a 2013 Sno Pro Ltd 162 that I purchased new, and yes, I've spent some $$$ on it, mostly because I can't leave anything stock...
- 1st, the front track shock spring uses the same rate as the lighter M800 / 600 sleds, only a 115 lb/inch rate. Way too light for the big girl. You can go the Z-broz route, but Cat also offers springs from the Snocross sled that are significantly stiffer and make a dramatic change in weight transfer with out trenching. I used a 190#/in spring with 1.5" preload, giving me sufficient travel without coil bind (this happens when you have to much spring preload).
- 2nd, the stock skis are garbage. I've run PP's, 8" Slydogs, MODS, Pilot DS, Pilot 6.9's, Mohawks, USI triple threats, 7" Slydogs, and Grippers). My choice is the Grippers, followed by Pilot 6.9's without the outer carbide. I'm willing to sacrifice a little push in the corners to have a light front end.
- 3rd, ski alignment is absolutely critical on this sled. I run 1/8" toe out.
If you install a Kmod rear skid (I did) with Raptors, the front track spring is too light again, especially if rider weight is over 200 lbs. I sourced a spring from Fox with a 225#/in rate, and then you have the best of both worlds - a coupled skid when you want it, an excellent ride, and a playful front end (Big thanks to Kevin at Kmod for helping me out with this, his suspension knowledge and customer service are second to none.) Yes, you can crank the front track shock spring preload, but you are effectively reducing travel.
I'm not going to elaborate on the belt blowing / misalignment / hot clutches that these sleds are all labeled with, even though the vast majority don't have this issue, or it can be resolved fairly easily at a cost if you have one that is affected. Basically, if the sled has no turbo / exhaust blankets and is not vented, you are starting with an uphill losing battle. Sled wraps are pretty, but useless unless all you do is look at it in the garage.
Adding power to these sleds is easy to do, but unless you beef up the drive line and clutches, you will eventually have issues. Although you can add a PG / RG turbo to a two stroke, you will NEVER have the torque numbers that a boosted 4S has. And that torque is tough on drive line components, period.
This is my 2 cents.

Aug 20, 2013
North Dakota
I agree with what you said. They are heavy but once you dial them in they are a blast to ride. I totaled my 13 M1100T this season and had it dialed in exactly where I was wanting it. Did like you mentioned, got different skis, put extra preload on the front skid shock, roll over valve and exhaust (dropped 12 lbs). I didn't have a belt blower. In the 3.5 years I rode it I blew 2 belts one at 800 miles and the other at 1400 miles. Totaled it with 1500 miles on it.

Mid season, after totaling my sled, I bought a King Cat 9000 and only got to ride it once. I am having to go through the whole suspension setup again. The dealer didn't do a very good job at setting the shocks to begin with. The front skid shock only had 35 psi in it. I can already tell this machine is more nimble with the narrow front end and I cant wait to see what some weight reduction and suspension work can do. It will take me another couple of trip to experiment with the new float 3 evol shocks to get them where I want.

N
Feb 5, 2017
Kingsford, MI
Front track shock spring

Went on zbroz site, found all kinds of springs. Now what size springs are on the fox float 3's? I have a 2014 M9000 ltd, never really messed around this much with them. I mean I'm sure I can call and they will know what to get me but if I at least have an idea of what to ask for it would help tremendously.

stahlecker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2010
Western NE
If you have coil over shocks in the skid I think this is what you want SKU: 101-YAM-CNTR. I could not find it as a cat listed product but I'm pretty sure they are the same. I would double check with zbroz.

Last season I switched to a Yamaha 135# spring on my Viper. It was all I could find at the time. It definitely helped but I will probably go to a heavier one this winter.

Last edited:
C
Jan 17, 2024
Michigan
New to forum, so if this isn’t the correct place for this question I apologize. 2013 m1100 162” bent the heck out of the rails and rear wheels and sprocket are toast. Track is shot, etc etc. Question is, will a 2014 m 8000 162” suspension work?

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
New to forum, so if this isn’t the correct place for this question I apologize. 2013 m1100 162” bent the heck out of the rails and rear wheels and sprocket are toast. Track is shot, etc etc. Question is, will a 2014 m 8000 162” suspension work?
As far as I know. Yes. As long as the drop brackets and mounting locations are the same on both sleds should be a direct swap.

Premium Features