• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled Deck with a slip tank?

S
Nov 28, 2007
I have a short box chevy and have a slip tank in it and i am going to put my sled deck in, J/W if anyone had any pics of something like that. It is the L Shaped tank and it is the 70 gal.

Last edited:
S

studsrsx

Jan 2, 2008
I got one in my 05 f350 shortbox and it works well. I just extended my fuel cap with a pipe so I can still fill it from the top of the deck. I will try to get pics.

S
Nov 28, 2007
Alberta
Heres mine... runs along the bed of the box. Holds nowhere close to 70gal although

p1010371dy1.jpg

R
Nov 26, 2007
COSTCO
im running a small tank in my truck all i had to do was put 4x4s under each leg of the deck to make it clear the top . i dont see a problem running youre tank with most decks though . make sure you measure how wide the tank is an make sure the deck will strattle it though . almost every deck i looked at had diffrent distances between the legs.

I
Dec 5, 2007
Red Deer, AB
Not to put a damper on the tank but you should check your truck weight at a truck scale sounds like you may be overweight on the rear axle. No, adding air bags and helper springs will not increase rear axle carrying capacity and you will find out the hard way if pulled over by the DOT's. You'll be recieving a healthy xmas present, you may not like. There will be a lot of posters who will tell you that they carry 10,000 lb payloads + in a half ton, like I've said weigh your truck and be informed. This is for your info do what you may.
2 sleds 650+/_ 1300lb
fuel 700lb
buddy 200lb
gear 200lb

Like sex with someone other than your wife, young girls etc. all good till you get caught, then it hits the fan.

A

alexhack

Nov 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
I got one in my 05 f350 shortbox and it works well. I just extended my fuel cap with a pipe so I can still fill it from the top of the deck. I will try to get pics.

I also have an 05 F350 Shortbox w/70Gal L-shaped slip tank. Please do post some pics. I've been curious about this also. Allways thought I would have to pull the tank since it sticks up above the edge of the box.

M
Dec 15, 2007
Moyie B.C.
Please, please, please...run a vent hose out from under your deck off the tank! Don't turn your truck box into a bomb! Also, a ground wire out to where you can get at it if you have a plastic box liner. Always ground the tank to discharge any static while filling it.

A

alexhack

Nov 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
Please, please, please...run a vent hose out from under your deck off the tank! Don't turn your truck box into a bomb! Also, a ground wire out to where you can get at it if you have a plastic box liner. Always ground the tank to discharge any static while filling it.

I haul diesel, so not too worried about static ignition and becoming a bomb. Ever use diesel to start a fire? It take a bit to light unlike gasoline and its "woof" into flames. I would be more worried about the 3 or4 jerry cans of gas bouncing around under your decks.:eek:

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Even if your just running diesel, I would check with your insurance company to make sure your ok. And I know in Canada if you go over 100 gallon there becomes a ton of restrictions.

M
Dec 15, 2007
Moyie B.C.
I haul diesel, so not too worried about static ignition and becoming a bomb. Ever use diesel to start a fire? It take a bit to light unlike gasoline and its "woof" into flames. I would be more worried about the 3 or4 jerry cans of gas bouncing around under your decks.:eek:

I agree, diesel is less of an issue. I know of a number of people carrying race fuel in a slip tank under their decks though. Totally agree about the jerry can issue, but at least they gotta take 'em out to fill 'em...hopefully on the ground rather than the tailgate!

A

alexhack

Nov 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
Even if your just running diesel, I would check with your insurance company to make sure your ok. And I know in Canada if you go over 100 gallon there becomes a ton of restrictions.

I have comercial insurance, I'm covered. I'm required it for working on the rigs.:D Ya, if you go over 100gal you get raped with insurance costs.:eek:

I agree, diesel is less of an issue. I know of a number of people carrying race fuel in a slip tank under their decks though. Totally agree about the jerry can issue, but at least they gotta take 'em out to fill 'em...hopefully on the ground rather than the tailgate!

Gas in the slip tank is definatly a higher risk.:eek:

Premium Features