• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 rmk with 690 miles on it recall for piston done. still do the spacer fix

walker

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
What good was the recall where they replaced the pistons and head, and looks like new cylinders. What was the difference in the recall parts vs. the old parts. I would rather be safe than sorry. So all these failures I am reading about is after recall was performed? I am sure that this topic has been beat to death, I am just making sure before I order parts. Thanks

RDS88

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
I would replace the cylinders with Indy Dans reinforced or send him yours to do it, as well I would do the fix kit with aftermarket (spi) cat pistons.

walker

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
fix kit

I decided to pull the head and cylinder off and inspect. pistons look found a small crack in rear of mag cylinder. Its at the back middle. about 1 inch long. so it looks like i will be doing fix kit and new cylinder. good think I got this sled for a steal.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I decided to pull the head and cylinder off and inspect. pistons look found a small crack in rear of mag cylinder. Its at the back middle. about 1 inch long. so it looks like i will be doing fix kit and new cylinder. good think I got this sled for a steal.

Are your pistons single ring or dual ring?

Single ring's were original for 08-09 with a higher comp head.

Mine cracked a skirt with 322 miles with the 2010 update.

RDS88

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
If your buying a new cylinder, spend the extra and buy Indy Dan's reinforced cylinder skirts head.

J

jim9006

Sep 7, 2008
Cle Elum WA
home.comcast.net
What good was the recall where they replaced the pistons and head, and looks like new cylinders. What was the difference in the recall parts vs. the old parts. I would rather be safe than sorry. So all these failures I am reading about is after recall was performed? I am sure that this topic has been beat to death, I am just making sure before I order parts. Thanks

The recall wasen't any good... In fact they went backwards. The Fix kit was the best option and even that really needs a replate of the cyl. if you want to do it right.

RDS88

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
My engine still went down with the fix kit in it.

C
Oct 29, 2008
The fix kits are not the best option. Contact RK-Tek and get his replacement Pistons. And get the cylinders done by Indy Dan as well.

Premium Features