• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Erratic Idle on 2009 RMK700

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Sled starts pretty good and idles smoothly at 1500 rpm most of the time. Once in a while it starts and runs at 1400 and doesn't idle smooth at that rpm. I need to blip the throttle to get it to run at 1500. Also when I hit the reverse button it will go into reverse but idles at 1400 rpm and wants to quit unless I give it a bit of throttle. If I let off the throttle it will quit in a few seconds. When this happens the voltage indicator on the guage display shows full voltage but headlights go out and display goes blank and resets itself like when you first start machine. Ideas anyone? Could this be a TPS misadjustment?

J
Sep 21, 2013
Vancouver, WA
Sounds like it could be the voltage regulator if the gauges and lights are going out. When you say it shows full voltage, do you mean fully maxed out or one to two bars under? It should be at least one bar under maxed out or your ecu is getting too much voltage.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
It has 6 bars showing. It is hard to see if there is one more above that or not. I have 2 2010's that run with 7 bars showing and they don't miss a beat. Idle rpm in shop manual says 1700 so I am a couple hundred below. Looks like I'll have to break down and build a TPS check unit to set it up.

Sled starts pretty good and idles smoothly at 1500 rpm most of the time. Once in a while it starts and runs at 1400 and doesn't idle smooth at that rpm. I need to blip the throttle to get it to run at 1500. Also when I hit the reverse button it will go into reverse but idles at 1400 rpm and wants to quit unless I give it a bit of throttle. If I let off the throttle it will quit in a few seconds. When this happens the voltage indicator on the guage display shows full voltage but headlights go out and display goes blank and resets itself like when you first start machine. Ideas anyone? Could this be a TPS misadjustment?

Did you ever get your TPS checked? If so did that work? I have exact same issues on my 10' RMK 600. I am also replacing voltage regulator to rule that outtoo, since i have the bad part No. that the dealer will warranty.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Okay so I tested the TPS and set it up using a high quality digital meter. One thing that has me puzzled is that the voltage jumps quite a bit just by tightening the screws so it's a pain to get the base set to 0.70 volts. I'm thinking this may be a faulty TPS or is this normal? I also checked with an analog meter and it does not have any open spots in it's range and sweeps smoothly. I haven't reinstalled the throttle bodies into the sled yet until I can find out if this is normal or not.

Premium Features