• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Removing plastic to mount a gas or cargo rack?

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
I keep thinking about removing the back plastic on the tunnel. Would like to get some other type of gas rack. Would like to see some pics of it removed and if you have any racks or bags what kind do you have. Also what brake light you put on.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MacDawg productions

Sep 5, 2008
Van Isle, British Columbia
I through mine in the garbage!! I just did it a couple of weeks ago. It looks awesome with that junk off. Half of the screw holes were broken. I made my own rack out of 2x3 angled aluminum from Home depot. I made it to hold my gear bag, and I also made a custom shovel rack. Eliminating the need for a pack is very advantageous (a debatable topic for some.) I also pulled off that huge stock brake light, and can't decide what led light to replace it with. There is one from four bar, and one from slp. I didn't really do the mod with the thought of saving weight, but it should be more practical, and looks cool too. Oh yeah, and with the plastic off, it's hard to resist the thought of polishing it. I caved in, and fired up the buffing wheel!!:beer; I will post some pics soon.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT

i removed the stock plastic gas rack and installed the SKINZ seat support, and then a Holz gas rack...I really like how it turned out and then i got a factory underseat back (07-08 IQ) and love how much stuff i can actually fit in there..

i have yet to remove the stock shovel rack..BUT..i just bought a "Four Bar" LED light (sorry Mac, lol) and will be installing that on the Holz Gas Rack..so just might remove the plastic rack now..

100_1460.jpg

100_1456.jpg

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Essentially the same thing that I have done. I'm not sure if the 06's are the same as the 05's in regards to the coolant hose on the tunnel, but the 05's have a plastic elbow that covers the lines. I left that part on for protection. Nice sled.
Thanks, Wouldn't happen to have a pic would you? Just trying to get some ideas.

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
Yep, same deal on the 06's. I'm just looking to dress it up a bit as well as add protection on the inside of the rack as well...my luck I'll tie something down and rub a hole in the hose:eek: And thanks:beer;

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Ditch It! I made the clamps and hose covers but I have seen it done with of the shelf parts. The bag bolts to the tunnel and work awsome. it hold the shovel ,bungee,goggles etc. I also use the mtn. addiction gas can and rack sysyetm and I love it !

cooler pic 1.JPG

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Ditch It! I made the clamps and hose covers but I have seen it done with of the shelf parts. The bag bolts to the tunnel and work awsome. it hold the shovel ,bungee,goggles etc. I also use the mtn. addiction gas can and rack sysyetm and I love it !
Ah cool that looks awsome, thats a good idea think i might have to do that. Nice work.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.

I mounted the same bag to my tunnel using some aluminum to hold it up, off the cooler, however I left the rest of my plastic intact...

just another option:beer;:beer;

100_3129.jpg

100_3131.jpg

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Ok so I took the plastic off, Now i'm wandering what to do with the wire running back to the light (i'm putting on a LED light)? POLIZHUNTER I don't see any wires on your pic, what did you do with them?

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Ok so I took the plastic off, Now i'm wandering what to do with the wire running back to the light (i'm putting on a LED light)? POLIZHUNTER I don't see any wires on your pic, what did you do with them?

no taillight ! i just rolled it up by the ecu! :D

V
Jun 23, 2008
Airdrie Alberta Canada
i removed all my stuff and just moved my light back to the rear seat. u can kinda see the light here just drilled new holes for it, don't really use a gas rack. wear a back pack for extra stuff.

DSCF0391.jpg DSCF0392.jpg

S

ss_badaz

Dec 6, 2007
B.C."The Koots"
I removed the plastic off the 05 last season went with the Skinz seat support a little tricky getting on and used the Skinz Gripper seat wrap worked out well in the end. The gas can rack I just CNC an aluminum one up as I liked the look of duel cans :face-icon-small-hap The tail light just re mounted under the seat out of the way. The rear tunnel area built a aluminum cooler cover, the ideal was to protect this area as well trap snow with the ribs on the cooler cover, help out with the cooling in the deep pow not that it is an issue on the machine but really never noticed IMO thought it gave it a different look.
RMK904.jpg

RMK926.jpg

DSC02185.jpg

Premium Features