• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

looking at getting 2010 rmk 800 need input

G
Nov 26, 2013
cold lake,ab
I'm looking at buying the gf her first sled a 2010 rmk 800 with 1723miles on it. electric start, reverse. 155" track. Sled was bought for a 20 year old and dad paid for everything but dad cut him off now and won't pay for a mechanic to look at it some i can snap it up for 2500$ CND

sled has a issue tho. I test rode it, If you giver anything under 3/4 throttle shes mint no issues. Pin it to the bars and it bogs. let off and go get back on it'll go a little then bog.

Also it's leaking coolant from the overflow jug. not lots but enough that i noticed it when looking around the engine.

sled has the follow mods walker shocks, fix kit, vent kit, snow eliminator boards.compression was 125 in both cylinders. and we put a camera in the jugs, piston wash and such looks fine.

I don't wanna buy this sled and dump 4k into it. Any ideas what this could be?

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Check the exhaust valves.

I have experienced the same problem on two different 800's but it was on the low end, not the high end your talking about. Both sleds ended up being injector problems. :noidea:

G
Nov 26, 2013
cold lake,ab
so i picked up the sled.

it has a coolant leak on the clutch side. top of the motor, took the top part off, pistons have LITTLE black on them and still newer looking and the gaskets(2 o ring and 2 other gaskets that trace the head) hard . not even rubber. I'm sure when the engine was rebuilt the reused those gaskets...

other then that she runs pretty solid. stand up like nothing haha

G
Nov 26, 2013
cold lake,ab
so cleanned up the coolant leak all tightened up, BUT shes bogging if I give her wot. Gonna change the fuel filter tuesday when dealer opens

I also have a 5 engine flash(exhaust temp sensor) all wires are good and such so time to replace it.. Could this cause the issue?

G
Nov 26, 2013
cold lake,ab
Well I changEd out te egt sensor and she's is running great now. But it seems to be hitting the rev limiter and backing heraelf off. I'm sure it's got stock weights and I'm only runnin 2000 feet MAX

C
Oct 29, 2008
When you say it's hitting the Rev limiter, are you sure it's not going into DET mode? Ae you seeing a light on the dash when it does this?
Does the sled have a Power Commande or it?
These engines absolutely need a Power Dommander. It cleans up the lean mid range from the ECU mapping and adds an additional 10hp.
You can toast this Engine staying on the throttle in the midrange all the time without a PCV.

G
Nov 26, 2013
cold lake,ab
No there's no ceck engine light. Changed out fuel filter drained and filled with 91 octane and HOLYA hold on.

I'm looking at getting a power commander v I have one for 2009 cat m1000 dunno if it'll work

C
Oct 29, 2008
No that power commander won't work for the Dragon.
Contact Jim at www.dynotechresearch.com he will hook you up. You buy it from I'm and you get a 3 year subscription to his site.
Your TPS could be off as well and you can fix that with the Power Commander.

C
Oct 29, 2008
Also try taking out the exhaust valves and cleaning them. I worked on a Dragon that had same symptoms and they were crazy gummed up.

Premium Features