• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cracked clutch when trying to take it off.

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Ok so Today I went out to the garage to take my clutch off and send it to Indydan. Normally I put the puller in crank until tight one small hit on the puller with a rubber mallet and "Pop" it comes off. Well didn't work so well this time.

I heard a "pop" but this is what happen.

IMGP3288.jpg

How should I go about getting this dang thing off my sled. Should I just start taking the clutch apart and take off what will come off, then get the grinder out for the rest? I have no clue how the crank looks, but I have a feeling I messed up the threads on the inside with the puller but won't know until I get the clutch off. My season could be over before it even started. I know the clutch is shot and can't afford to buy a new one now.

F

f15ejedi

Oct 6, 2008
Anchorage Alaska
Ok so Today I went out to the garage to take my clutch off and send it to Indydan. Normally I put the puller in crank until tight one small hit on the puller with a rubber mallet and "Pop" it comes off. Well didn't work so well this time.

I heard a "pop" but this is what happen.

IMGP3288.jpg

How should I go about getting this dang thing off my sled. Should I just start taking the clutch apart and take off what will come off, then get the grinder out for the rest? I have no clue how the crank looks, but I have a feeling I messed up the threads on the inside with the puller but won't know until I get the clutch off. My season could be over before it even started. I know the clutch is shot and can't afford to buy a new one now.

Don't grind anything near the crank. You might have to take the clutch apart to get most of it off. Then get a puller that will spread far enough to pull the rest off. If you don't have one you can rent one pretty cheap. Someone will chime in or call IndyDan and see if he has a solution. Look at the bright side, if this had happened pulling power you would have bigger problems.

Last edited:

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
There are at least two guys on here who have good used primary clutches for sale. If it is completely broken in two then pull the outside piece off if you can.

As a last ditch effort you could try to cut the back part with a die grinder part way down and maybe get it to crack the rest of the way, but if you touch the crank at all with the grinder you will be buying a crank.

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Thanks for the replies. If I can get the outside half off I think I have a good gear puller I hope will pull it off.

Of course now that my sleds down its snowing like nuts. Keep the ideas coming I know this has happen to others on this forum and I want to get this thing running!!

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
OOOPPSS!!

I have seen this a few times, 1st break the post off.

Then the way i did it was to take a fine tooth short sawall blade and cut the rear sheave into a few pie shaped pieces and then as Z-man mentioned tap with a hammer and knock the pieces off until your down to the shaft. Then get a block of ice and have it on the stand by........Then with a good size welder at least 180 amp 240 volt machine set up towards the higher end weld the post back on........MAKE sure to weld short 1 inch runs and then cool with ice until cool to the touch as Eric mentioned and then repeat until full circle then cool it and use the stock puller to get it off.

Dan

Last edited:

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Well have been working on this for the past hour and have nothing done. I tried taking the clutch apart but I don't have the tool to remove the spider. I can't get the crack to come back together which means I can't get the clutch puller to go back in because it's not straight with the crank. I know if I beat on the clutch the crack would fill but i'm afraid to beat on it with the weak crank in these sleds.

I have never let anyone else touch my sled but i'm lost on what else to try I might just load it up and let someone else deal with it.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Well have been working on this for the past hour and have nothing done. I tried taking the clutch apart but I don't have the tool to remove the spider. I can't get the crack to come back together which means I can't get the clutch puller to go back in because it's not straight with the crank. I know if I beat on the clutch the crack would fill but i'm afraid to beat on it with the weak crank in these sleds.

I have never let anyone else touch my sled but i'm lost on what else to try I might just load it up and let someone else deal with it.

BUST THE POST OFF!!!!

put your foot against the clutch and push it until the post breaks off.

I have seen this a few times, 1st break the post off.

Then the way i did it was to take a fine tooth short sawall blade and cut the rear sheave into a few pie shaped pieces and then as Z-man mentioned tap with a hammer and knock the pieces off until your down to the shaft. Then get a block of ice and have it on the stand by........Then with a good size welder at least 180 amp 240 volt machine set up towards the higher end weld the post back on........MAKE sure to weld short 1 inch runs and then cool with ice until cool to the touch as Eric mentioned and then repeat until full circle then cool it and use the stock puller to get it off.

Last edited by a moderator:

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com

06 RMK 900.......Please help me understand why you have not removed the outter part of the clutch ???

once its off you can ship it to someone who can take it apart then ship the post back to you and you can weld it back on or have it welded back on and then remove it with a puller.

Where are you at with this ???

Dan

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
I removed everything I could on the clutch. I couldn't get the spider to loosen so couldn't get that off. Right now it's at a dealer. There going to save what parts they can on my clutch then cut off what they can't remove. They said it should only take them about and hour so i'm only out about $70-80.

Still planning on sending you everything to get balanced even if I have to send you a brand new clutch and have you shim it for the 1115 belt. I"m running out of time on this I have a trip planned Jan 3rd I have to get this up for.

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
You never mentioned how the dealer got the clutch off ??

what tactic did they take ??

Dan

He said it was by far one of the hardest clutches he has ever removed. He tried to straighten it out to weld it back on but it wouldn't budge and he didn't want to stress the crank. He ended up cutting most of it off with an electric grinder then when he was getting close to the crank he used a hand grinder. He also ran water over the crank the entire time to keep it cool.

Premium Features