• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2005 900 RMK running trouble

Nov 27, 2010
Hey guys, I'm having some trouble getting my 2005 900 RMK to stay running. I took the sled out for the first ride of the season a couple of weeks ago and it ran great for the first 30 miles give or take. The first time it happened I was riding along at about 35MPH and I cracked the throttle a little bit and it died just like you had hit the kill switch. So I then pulled and pulled and pulled until it finally fired back up and I rode it for about another mile or and it seemed to run great, and then it did the exact same thing! So at this point I called for a ride and went and got my truck and hauled it home and put it in my heated shop thinking it was possibly freezing and icing up. So we got it back to the shop and let it thaw out for a couple days and put a pretty good dose of isopropyl alcohol, and took it for another short ride and it did the exact same thing. So at this point we thought it might be a sensor causing the trouble, so we unplugged the probe in the exhaust pipe and took it for another short ride and it did the same thing again. So we then plugged that sensor back in and unplugged the water temp probe in front of the head, and took it for another short ride and did the exact same thing AGAIN! So its back in the shop again here now and I'm all out of ideas on what could be causing this malfunction. Anybody else out there have any ideas of what to check next? or what could be causing this? Has anyone had similar troubles? Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
When was the last time you changed the fuel filter and have all the recall upgrades been done on the fuel pump, fuel sending unit, fuel tank.

Nov 27, 2010
SwitchbackRick - No the engine light hasn't so much as blinked

Z-man -
1) The fuel filter has never been changed, there is about 1500 miles on the sled
2) I'm not sure if the upgrades have been done as I am not the original owner of the sled, bought it with around 600 miles on it, do you know what the upgrades entailed?

Thanks for now guys!

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
write down the VIN number and call your local dealership and have them check. They can tell you everything that has been done and if there is anything that still needs to be done. I know they replaced the fuel tanks, the fuel pumps and the tank floats. Polaris recommends changing the fuel and oil filter at the beginning of every season as part of your preseason maintenance.

This might not be the problem but it is always good to start with the easiest and most obvious things.

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
I would look at the stator and related harness there are some great stickies at top of forum and related info!!
Do you have fuel pressure
Do you have spark
You have just been initiated!!! Welcome to the Club!

Nov 27, 2010
Z-Man -Thanks, I'll do that

05900 - I haven't checked fuel pressure yet
- I haven't checked spark yet either, but will be next on the list

Do either of you guys know what fuel pressure is supposed to be? so that we can test that as well

Thanks for now guys!

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Perhaps try a little more simple test before going more extravagant....

Disconnect your throttle safety switch (it kills the engine if you hit it wrong or if the cable ices up to prevent a run-away sled)

Premium Features