• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How to make the 2011 PRO RMK 800 better

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Having ridden a 2010 M8 this year (and sold it) I can tell you that the Pclaw is NOT god's gift to tracks. That thing trenched like a beech and got walked all over by an XP any time the snow was soft. With a base it could hold it's own, but I sure wouldn't waste money on changing to one, unless my sled came with a 1" lug.

I have ridden both the HCR 90 duro and the std 80 duro Power Claw tracks in Polairs sleds... both were exceptional tracks... This is also the track of preference of Jack Struthers lately... Might have been the setup???

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
This is what I would have liked to see. For a good reliable stocker

1) fox evol R' all tha way around
Yes... those would rock.. but add about $400 retail to the cost of the sled (ouch)
2) go back to the 166 2.4" 2.52 pitch track( call me crazy but it works AWSOME) This is a GREAT track.. but heavy... one of the heaviest mountain tracks out there... +14 lbs of rotating mass compared to the 163 single ply series 5.1.3) Get rid of the "flat turning bars", they aim for the nut sack every time you are up by the foot stirup in the tight trees (ouch) I rode it at 5'6" as did another Advanced rider at 6'2"... I guess I don't understand ?
4) Won't ever happen.
Build a very very mountian specific sled, turbo, titanium, etc, you don't need a rmk, summit or m series in the mid west. Build a limited number of true mountain sleds, and sell only to mountain dealers. That way they could control warrenty issues and other problems. If Polaris did that I would buy one. Count ME IN!!

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy

Yea the track adds weight, but in 3.5 years of switching out the stock track for the 166 I have yet to see a loss in ground speed, track speed or any loss of any kind. As a result of me and 2 other guys there are now 30 + sleds in our area that have switched to the 166, Polaris's, Ski-doo's and even a couple of Arctic cats. No one believes it until they see it first hand. I will admit though it was lots more fun the first 1-2 years before everyone caught on.:face-icon-small-hap

The shocks well I have had them on my 09 xp for 2 seasons now and worth every penny. I mean what is another $400 or so when that combo cost close to $1,800- 2,000 to put them on after the fact.

I also think that a factory built mountain only mod sled could be built and people would buy it, I mean they only need to build 500 to call it production and they are already doing that with the Assault's, Hill climb edition ( now the Freeride) and the HCR's for hill climb stock class rules. So why not expand on that premise.

Premium Features