• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can I use a KTM 300xc

B
Sep 23, 2008
Penticton BC
HI guy's, I'm interested in setting up a snow bike this year, I ride woods in the spring summer and fall. I had a 2005 CRF 450r but went to a YZ 250 with a recluse due to the weight savings and I'm way faster in the woods riding a two stroke. I can only afford one bike and my YZ needs to be replaced. I don't really want to go back to a four stroke. I've noticed that I can get a kit for the KTM 300XC, will it work?, Does it have enough power? What Kit would you suggest.

D

Dobber1

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
We have an ExplorerKit on a CRF250X for the wife that works just fine for her, but is a little under-powered for the guys. Check out the videos in the thread below.

B
Sep 23, 2008
Penticton BC
Vms

I think I''ll talk with the Guys at Valley Moto Sport in Kelowna, they shouldn't be bike bias because thay have quite a few bike lines. It seems that KTM, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda and Yamaha 450's are all popular. Is it important to have electric start, does the small battery turn over the engine in cold weather and stay charged. If I choose to go four stroke could I get away with using a four speed transmission. The 06, 07 Susuki and Kawasaki are cheap to buy.
I ride a mod XP 800 sled so I have a understanding of snow and power, what is the best power to weight ratio for a bike and what track kits do you guys suggest?

Thanks

Last edited:

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
2 stroke

I have heard the 300ktm works well. I'm also looking to go back to a 2 stroke, I think a 250 will do fine. You don't really want a 4 speed, too big of gear span for the load from what i've seen. I ran a rmz250 last year, it works but more power is more fun. I really like the 08 rmz450 very nice package. The recluse is also a nice thing to have.

See ya at haydays

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
One thing you guys might have to fabricate if you use 2 stroke bikes is somekind of an expansion chamber (pipe) snow shield or even a Belly pan similar to a sled or Hawk. The idea would be that the pipe keeps operating at a constant temperature (and offers constant performance). I've heard of a guy around here that's got a CR500 that is a beast apparently but he's got a lot of fluctuation in the power because of how hot or how not is his pipe. I can see this problem: doing good, doing good, still doing good, than bogging (because of snow got sprayed on it), then back to good after a few sec...

Sound wave travels at different speed through different temperature, which is a big problem on a completely exposed dirt bike exhaust in the snow. I think trying to build a shield that really works for that is gonna need a second pipe that you might slice in half and add let's say a strip of 1/2" in between the two halves to make it fit over the other one... that sounds like a lot of work... Belly pan sounds like a better idea to me and it would actually serve a purpose of better flotation or even traction like the Hawk's.

By the way, if I ever get a Snow-Bike I think a tricked out KTM 300 would be the way I'd go. You absolutely need a BEAST to power these tracks as they're power hungry vs wheels on grounds. Sure enough a 250F will get her to spin... So does a Tundra 300 when comes to a sled.

just my 2c !!!

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
cold pipes

I thought about this before too. sure it will have an effect but might not be a huge problem. Might try header wrap or something I guess would be the simplest.

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
2-Stroke !!!!!

That's a good vid !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSvqTyUdl3M

the guy with the orange helmet at the end says he tried the 450 earlier on and besides saying it hooks up better, he says : " Dude, THAT's the machine, dude that's the shiat, forget it, that's crazy".

And at 2:44 he says : "according to me we'll need some gas Dude ! It's on the reserve ! Waaaaaaaaa..." . Basically you'll need a big ugly tank plus another spare tank on your kit to keep you going for the day ! That's plus around 30 pounds !

I'm a 2 stroke die heart myself... Sure enough when I see these 450 or 525, they seem to go ok but that KTM 2 stroke sound sure puts a :D:D:D on my face and I sure feel like throwing my leg over it and whip it around ! I think it's still not gonna be underpowered for the mountains though. You can see the guy being floored with it and it sure doesn't want to launch off of his legs like a true beast machine should... You're still gonna be lacking 30-40 horses for the mountains & the deep stuff. Sure looks powerful enough to have a blast in a Quebec field though !!!

Premium Features