• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Keeping PIDD powered up

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
Have a new 18 AXYS RMK 800 163 in the stable (my son just picked it up last week, it is not electric start but has PIDD. Just came from the dealer and was told that when they were at the dealers meeting-conference, they were shown a very small package (size of a pack of cigarettes either a battery or capacitor) that could be plugged into the wiring harness that would keep the PIDD alive when shutting down engine for short times during the day rides. Polaris has a PIDD power up kit shown in the accessories, but it is a battery box, small lead acid battery and harness and to me, this is not acceptable (weight, location,price and just in general) Anyone know anything about this???
gtwitch in wyoming

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
Have a new 18 AXYS RMK 800 163 in the stable (my son just picked it up last week, it is not electric start but has PIDD. Just came from the dealer and was told that when they were at the dealers meeting-conference, they were shown a very small package (size of a pack of cigarettes either a battery or capacitor) that could be plugged into the wiring harness that would keep the PIDD alive when shutting down engine for short times during the day rides. Polaris has a PIDD power up kit shown in the accessories, but it is a battery box, small lead acid battery and harness and to me, this is not acceptable (weight, location,price and just in general) Anyone know anything about this???
gtwitch in wyoming

checkout: this post from last year
https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418256

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
Thanks, I went and looked at the entire post and also looked on HCS Forum and some info there. Think I can put my Electrical Engineering profession to some use here! LOL Hoping to find a 2018 AXYS electrical schematic soon, Looks like snow coming tonight on the Snowy Range, had about 6 to 8" in places up there last week.
gtwitch in wyoming

sledmeister

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2008
Yakima, WA
The harness will cost you about 100 from Polaris. I bought one last year for my 17 Axys. I installed a small Bikemaster lithium battery (less than 2lbs) as well.The Pidd stays on now when I take a break and doesn't take the 10min to aquire gps lock again like it did before when it had to reboot.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
I have the Polaris accessory harness what part number battery did u use and is there a problem over charging it?

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Here is what I am doing. This is the Polaris power up kit with a WPS featherweight lithium battery. Battery is under a pound and the largest dimension is 3 9/16".

I will be offering this kit on my website. I have batteries in stock so PM me if interested.

223b7c4482f1be608174ec0efdb3f441.jpg
cf5c1e0540d97705ddd91a2532b5aed0.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
How and where are u going to mount the battery?

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
Caution about using lithium batteries

Please note the cautions noted on the lithium battery in the post above. Do not charge without a charger that doesn't have an automatic shutoff. Or charge above 14.9 volts. And also it says to remove the battery during charging. So how are these cautions midigated by using the sleds charging system?

Cinno

Last edited:

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
How and where are u going to mount the battery?

There is directions which show where to mount the box. the battery is so small it fits into it with the long direction fitting int he short section of the box. So one could zip tie into the box or use a closed cell foam to hold it tight. I have not mounted it yet but there are directions on how to mount. I may for go it all together to save weight an make my own mount.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
"We have added the Polaris Power Up kit to our website complete with the highly rated WPS Fire Power LI featherweight battery."

Randy- - What has changed on the WPS Li battery- years past ( as I have had 3 of them were all blue and I see new wrap on the one y pictured in your post- and it has a new name " Firepower" I hope that the internals are better- cause the old ones were ..well lets just be nice and say - not up to par...

I have one in warranty with WPS Mike Jones right now... and hopefully be covered with this newer style...

Is there a difference ??

Thanks..

Last edited:

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
"We have added the Polaris Power Up kit to our website complete with the highly rated WPS Fire Power LI featherweight battery."

Randy- - What has changed on the WPS Li battery- years past ( as I have had 3 of them were all blue and I see new wrap on the one y pictured in your post- and it has a new name " Firepower" I hope that the internals are better- cause the old ones were ..well lets just be nice and say - not up to par...

I have one in warranty with WPS Mike Jones right now... and hopefully be covered with this newer style...

Is there a difference ??

Thanks..

Not sure if or what or anything. Through my research I have found lots of people using Litium batteris in their Polaris sleds, I've also heard good things about the WPS batteris in articles. I am offering this as a light weight option for people that don't have electric start and don't want to loose PIDD power when they shut their sleds off. This is the first year I am using one. I always had the standard gauge with no electric start so had no need for battery until now.

The Power up kit doesn't change however, if there are any worries with the battery we do have other options available. I running this one due to its light weight and very small size. We have standrad size conventional and AGM batteries. We carry LI batteries by Battery Tender as well. I have had really good luck with the YUASA batteries we sell.

I did by a specific battery tender made fore Lithium Ion batteries so I can charge if it ever gets low. I was also a bit worried about how the sleds charging will play wiht the LI battery. I am willing to sacrifice some battery longevity for the being able to do what I want without adding hardly any weight.

What were you using your WPS LI battery for?

I took link down until more research or new options can be added.

Last edited:

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
Battery Longevity

I may have stumbled upon something that may increase the longevity of battery life. In the past, I would setup a full time harness to trickle charge anytime I want, plug and play. I have found, disconnecting from the PIDD during storage will save the battery. I have a WPS battery right now that has full 3 bars without charging all summer. Disconnect the main harness under the hood during storage.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I see Bikeman Performance and others offer lightweight battery kits using WPS Lithium Ion batteries as well. They offer a bigger version because it is for electric start. Sage Crusher maybe you got a faulty one. I know you want them mounted securely so they don't bounce around. Also, I have had other brand conventional batteries show up faulty that were brand new. Not uncommon. Like I have said I have heard really good reviews on the WPS brand and all of ours came full charge and full volts.

Last edited:

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Since 2015/2016/2017 riding season's I have gone thru 3 of the LI WPS blue batteries- Two have been covered under warranty Waiting on the 3rd award:face-icon-small-dis-

I have the PIDD but also have the Electric Start on the Axys.- At the end of every season this battery is pulled in put in my shop with the correct charger on it all summer...
Show's 3 blue bars- but won't take a draw- ( Load)
Local dealer tested it- and said "Yep another Blue Bomber"-
Still waiting for over 2 months for WPS to step up, and dealer said they (WPS) are not returning her calls ..
so Mr. Mike Jones your in my sights.- I have Michelle @ Cannon Power gonna claw at you and those that know her - know that's not a fun experiance.

It was the highest CCA that the dealer ordered and received from WPS, and was for my application.

Randy- Simply love the battery how compact- super light weight- but the durability in the ES start applicationis a bust, and really a bust when the temp's start to drop.. sleds not gonna turn over.at least the 3 I had- when it's warm out it's fine.- just doesnt' like a load.

I am very confidant for what your offering,for that application, it's a great solution- because powering up the PIDD w/o ES - done by pulling the rope and starting the sled..

Very Sorry to jack this thread- but since the battery was wearing newer clothing- thought the upgrade to the "Firepower" meant more than what I already have tried, and it very well might, but all in all...... I should have shot you a P/M instead....

Thanks
S/C

Last edited:

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Since 2015/2016/2017 riding season's I have gone thru 3 of the LI WPS blue batteries- Two have been covered under warranty Waiting on the 3rd award:face-icon-small-dis-

I have the PIDD but also have the Electric Start on the Axys.- At the end of every season this battery is pulled in put in my shop with the correct charger on it all summer...
Show's 3 blue bars- but won't take a draw- ( Load)
Local dealer tested it- and said "Yep another Blue Bomber"-
Still waiting for over 2 months for WPS to step up, and dealer said they (WPS) are not returning her calls ..
so Mr. Mike Jones your in my sights.- I have Michelle @ Cannon Power gonna claw at you and those that know her - know that's not a fun experiance.

It was the highest CCA that the dealer ordered and received from WPS, and was for my application.

Randy- Simply love the battery how compact- super light weight- but the durability in the ES start applicationis a bust, and really a bust when the temp's start to drop.. sleds not gonna turn over.at least the 3 I had- when it's warm out it's fine.- just doesnt' like a load.

I am very confidant for what your offering,for that application, it's a great solution- because powering up the PIDD w/o ES - done by pulling the rope and starting the sled..

Very Sorry to jack this thread- but since the battery was wearing newer clothing- thought the upgrade to the "Firepower" meant more than what I already have tried, and it very well might, but all in all...... I should have shot you a P/M instead....

Thanks
S/C

Thanks for the feedback. My solution will be for non-estart version of powering the gauge only. If anyone is interested PM me for now.

t stone

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Bend, Or.
Battery kit

Can any one show pics of this installed in an Axys? I am running a Silber turbo and also have the polaris goggle bag that takes up most of the space under the hood. I just want to be sure this kit will fit before I buy it. Thanks

Stone

Premium Features