• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Manufacturing date?

Krause09

Premium Member
Feb 1, 2016
Washington
I'm wanting to get the 18 mt cat but my local dealer has one that dates on tunnel was 1/17? Looking at getting the lightened version not the early build, Or am I wasting my time and they are all the same!!!

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
The early builds got some of the light weight parts of the 18' sleds, but not all. The in season sled should be 5-7lbs light than the EB but has yet to be verified. If you get a good enough deal on thexed built 1/17 I'd see no reason to not buy it.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Seems a lot of the reports on here were from the early release sno-pro sleds. Not sure if anyone posted their findings on what the early build mountain cats came with. I'd look at the track drivers. If it's got the aluminum drive shaft then it at least has the lighter drive system in it. That would be the big one for me. If the deal's good enough then a new brake rotor and driveshaft from BDX along with a little of your time will have you close. If it was mine it would have the chaincase open anyway asap to get rid of that aluminum lower gear and auto chain tensioner. Track shaft and rotor would be a quick swap then (minus pressing the drivers).

Last edited:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
There was also an early release ER (grey sled) and an early build EB (black, looks like the snow check) sled. The EB sled probably has a better chance of more lite weight parts than the ER.
The 18' ER is still about 5-6lbs lighter than the 17' mountain cat, according to my weights. My 18' ER 162 weighed exactly the same as my 17 153 MC. So the ER is still a great sled.

Last edited:
Premium Features