• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Impossible Track Alignment...

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
500 Miles on my 163 RMK, and I'm doing my fall tune up. Part of which is adjusting track tension (To Polaris's rubber band tight specs).

The extrovert driver on this sled I noticed at some point had starting rubbing on the throttle side window of the track last season. Just a touch of wear.

It seems impossible to adjust it out so it doesn't rub. I've adjusted it between 1/2 and 3/4 inch of height difference (tighter) on the rubbing side to try and pull the track way from the window and its impossible to get it to pull over.

I can center it by hand, then turn the secondary 4-5 times and it walks back over until it makes contact. Even with the boogies in the back all the way loose, same crap.

The other drivers are visible off center, as is the track in the tunnel up front. It seems no amount of adjustment will center this track up.

Is this a potential warranty claim? Polaris seems to be saying FU to any warranty claims on tracks ... Curious if other people are fighting alignment. I've found a few complaints, but no solutions so far...

t stone

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Bend, Or.
Extrovert drivers

Im changing the stock crap out for Avid extrovert drivers so I can run the track looser and with the 2 drivers it will stay centered better.

Stone

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
I went through the track aliment issue with my snow check 16 sks. Had it to the dealer several times and they could not get the track to run straight when tightened to factory specs. For it to run straight one side would have to be ran loose the other side tight . They even replaced the drive shaft and drivers and that did not help. They told me to just run it. But at least I have a case filed with the polaris so if the track dose fail or gets damaged because of this I have proof that there was a problem from the beginning.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
My center driver on my 17 seems to not be centered, track appears to run straight, but the center driver is always offset in the window. Maybe your drivers arent quite where they should be?

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Move the drivers over? Mine are visually off but hasnt caused am issue. I run equal tension on both sides and don't worry about

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Sled is probably just a little twisted. LOL. The axys tunnel is pretty flimsy and I know mine isn't 100% true. I have the same track tension issues you guys are talking about with it being slightly off center but it seems more or less just part of the game on these sleds.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I had the same issue on a few Axys last year on 2017 sleds..

2 years ago on my personal snowchecked 2016 Axys, I swapped out the entire drive axle and drivers to the 13-15 pro 8 drivers- easy swap and all the track alignment issues went away, and...... I got a much better approach angle out of the deal-(BONUS)
Now I know this changed the gear ratio -but run all sleds out of here with the TKI system, so getting to the desired ratio for our application was easy....
Tom told me he bases his ratio's on 8 drivers.

Guess what I am trying to say, swapping out drivers seem like a good path to take-on the ones we had issues with.. FWIW

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
99% sure the tunnel isn't tweaked.. Sounds like I just need to adjust it to the point where it isn't touching and leave it be. I don't expect this track to last much longer anyway at the rate of wear I'm seeing so when I dump it eventually I'll have to upgrade drivers anyway so problem solved.

Thanks for the feedback.

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
Both of our '16's were grossly misaligned in the front. Hardly any visible clearance on one side and a mile on the other. Dealer didn't think it was an issue. I guess it works but it's pretty sketchy from a quality standpoint along with the grooves they refuse to address because of the clips they decided to forego.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
The stock drivers on my '12 we're way off of centered from the factory. I've since switched to Avid extroverts, but to the OP, I would start with centering your drivers and work back from there. I have no idea where you are, but you or anyone else with this issue are always welcome to use my press to center them up.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I was taught that when a track and set of drivers are installed you should install the drive shaft with the bolts holding the chain case and the left side bearing in a little loose. Then put the skid in, leave the track loose, and spin the track several times by hand. That way the system can settle in as good as the bolt locations will allow before tightening them up. I've never worked on an Axys, but the "chain case" side is glued in place, right? So if you loosen up the brake side and track, can things be re-aligned a little? Or is that side fixed too? Might explain why having them changed at the dealer is helping.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
I have a -15 ProRide but I guess it is similar.

Some people just measure the length of the tensioning bolts and make them the same from side to side. This doesn't work at all on my sled. They can be several turns different before I ge the track OK and aligned. And on the aligment, there is quite a bit of "Heinz-effect" in the tensioning system. The track can run to one side and I keep adjusting an nothing happens for several turns and then suddenly it jumps over and starts to run to the other side on just a quarter of a turn on one of the adjusters.

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
I had my track and driveshaft replaced under warranty and it fixed all my problems with track alignment. 16 Axys 163
Ian

Defiantly going to have Carl's take a look when I take it in for my shock re-valve.

Gona have to wait until I get my sled deck back on.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
There are a few possibilities. Drivers need to be centered on the drive shaft. Rails are bent. Cross shaft weldmeant is off center. These are things you can check.
The old pro chassis was not straight from the factory (tunnel bulkhead alignment) maybe the Axys has the same issue.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
ive noticed this on many long track sleds. including my 17 cat, with zero miles. center up the rear axle as per the manual, looks way off up front. my thought was it might be a camoplast/camso issue, not the sled maker.

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
Mine was delivered with the driver totally out of time like in-between the windows !!!

Next Quality Control issue .. hope no one gets hurt !!!

Of course my dealer should have caught it but who knows here in Michigan they might think the lugs make noises ?!?

On a good note the 2.25 Peak is clipped on every pitch ( wish all my 2.6s and 3s were

Last edited:
Premium Features