• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLP pipe and Can for 2018

kidder17

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Saskatchewan
I have taken delivery of my 2018 163" Pro. I had intended on running my SLP pipe and can from my 16 SKS and have found that some adjustments are needed in order to do this because of the new exhaust sensor and connection bung.

In speaking with SLP tech, they have given me the following information:
- for 2018, the resistor will not be required, regardless of elevation.
"On the 2018 sled we will not be running the resistor at any altitude."

- you can retro fit the previous Axys Pipe with a new bung to work on the 2018.
" The pipe is the same but has the new size bung on it."
"The generic bung part number is 090-981 and ask for “bung for 09-801”
You will need to grind the ceramic back a little so you can weld it. You can touch it up after with a little high temp silver paint. It won’t be ceramic but will look fair. Altering the pipe will void the warranty."

The new connector (molex style)for the Exhaust sensor is a great improvement over the previous pin type connectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLP

Premium Member
Hello. This is Jim Fairchild, Technical Manager at Starting Line Products and the person kidder17 talked to regarding the EGT bung.

To clarify my answer to this question –
I would not recommend welding a new 2018 bung on a used 2015-17 version of the SLP pipe for the 800 Axys. The bung is not intended to be a replacement piece, and that is why no specific part number is listed. During the process of removal of the old bung and installation of the new one, the odds of damaging the pipe in a way that would cause premature failure is high.

When we talked, kidder17 indicated that he is in Canada and changing the bung was his on option for using the pipe on his 2018. I then cautioned him that while proper installation is not impossible, but failure from incorrect removal/welding process could happen.

For those of you that have a 2015-17 version of the SLP Pipe, the official recommendation from us is: Do not attempt to convert the bung to a 2018 bung. Installing the proper pipe for the 2018 is a much better solution.

Thank You, Jim

J

jrk

Nov 26, 2007
It is also my understanding that the resistor IS A REQUIREMENT. It is included in the installation kit that accompanies the pipeset. (09-801) and (09-804).

Just took delivery on my competition series setup and it includes the resistor and is utilized as per the provided instructions set.

Premium Features