• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: Simmons Gen III Flexi-Ski

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
As part of installing the new Skinz Protective Gear "Concept A-Arms" next month, I plan on doing a side cut on my Gen III's

The only drawback to these skis that I found is that they were not super easy to roll the sled over on.

One of the other members on SnoWest posted a thread about how he had done the side cut on the outside edge of the skis and what a huge different it made in the sidehilling ability.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
After only a 5 month delay I finally got this little project done and off my list!!

This is our patient.
The tail end of the Simon Flexi Ski, Gen III
picture.php

I started off by measuring back 1 inch from the mounting plate and marking the side wall of the ski
picture.php

Then coming IN 1.5 inches from the side wall and marking a 2nd line.
This is APX. the location of the keel on the underside.
picture.php

And I marked the line all the way to the tail end to follow with the Jig Saw.
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
picture.php

Flipped the ski over the made the same mark on the bottom.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And traced out the appx. radius curve I wanted to follow.
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Picked up a new jigsaw for today's project.
NOTE.
Having a SCROLLING JIGSAW came in REALLY handy when I discovered that I could NOT get the foot in close enough to the Keel to make the final radius cut...

picture.php

Totally LOVED the little laser it came with.!
picture.php

First cut come straight in to the Keel edge.
picture.php

2nd cut was down the length of the ski
picture.php

picture.php

You will notice a 2nd white line in the above photo.
I traced TWO lines on the ski.
The 2nd line was where I "Thought" the cut would "Look" better, and I had considered going back and making a 2nd cut after the first measured trim was done. But in the end, I did NOT use this as the location of the Keel on the bottom of the ski completely controls where the cut has to be made.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The only hard part about this project is making this radius cut.
I blew threw a few blades on this trying to figure it out.
In the end the SCROLL feature solved the problem!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

File, File, File and then go back and FILE some more!
I used several different files to round the corner out and then to smooth all the sharp edges on the entire length of the ski cut.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
One you finish filing all this plastic down, then its time to heat it up a little and really smooth it out.

1 Propane torch.
picture.php

picture.php

Ran the torch back and forth many many times.
Getting it just hot enough to get soft, but NOT to melt of run.
Reminded me of my days working in a ski shop doing tuneup on downhill skis. Gotta just love that smell!:face-icon-small-hap
picture.php

Nice and SMOOTH!
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The finished product.
Total time, about 1 hour for me.
Probably less for someone that knew what they were doing in advance

picture.php

800tundra

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Dapp, Alberta
What's the ride report on these? Cutouts make a difference? Would like Something a little easier on the arms and shoulders than the Gen II's I am running.

D
Feb 20, 2009
I am considering buying a pair of Gen 3's and was wondering if you had anything else to ad to your review? I currently have a set of Gen 2's and love the float I get but hate the hard steering. Does the Gen 3 steer easier then Gen 2? Any input from anybody would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Stu

An elephant turns easier than Gen II's. I finally took them off my '08 XP, too damn tired end of day on trail back to trailer. Dennis

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I changed out my front suspension to a new Skinz "Concept A-Arms", did the side cut on the skis and mounted them at the narrowest position on the spindle.

All in all this has made a significant change for the better in over all handling.

I have not yet had an opportunity to try and real sidehilling to see how the side cut really performs yet. But I certainly have seen NO negative impact.

A
Feb 7, 2012
install simmons gen I flexi-skis with 2 mounting holes

I just bought a used set of simmons gen I flexi-skis and they have 2 bolt holes to mount the skis. I don't know witch hole l should use for 80% trail riding ? Can anyone tell me the difference in the 2 holes ? Thanks

jw3210

Lifetime Membership
Apr 3, 2011
What's the ride report on these? Cutouts make a difference? Would like Something a little easier on the arms and shoulders than the Gen II's I am running.

As mentioned by others the problem is weight. My nitro with original skis and Dooley’s need a hydraulic press to turn at a standstill. The answer for Yamaha is power steering for all their sleds.:lever:

Premium Features