• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dedicated Springtime sled

Z
Jan 12, 2005
Hahns Peak, CO
I'm planning on buying a dedicated Springtime sled, that will also be an early season and loaner sled. Before I ask for input on this, let me set some ground rules for this thread... I don't want it to turn into a brand slamming thread. So for all you idiots who like to hi-jack a thread so you can spout off about how brand A is the best, or how brand X sucks. Go bother someone else with your stupidity. I feel you should ride the brand that works best for you.

The only brand I have owned so far has been Ski-doo Summits. My first sled was a used 99 Summit 500 liquid cooled with a 136" track, I think I spent a good part of my riding time digging that thing out of a hole. after that it was a 02 Summit 800 151. Looking back at it now, it was a good sled, but not the best for deep powder. In December of 04 I bought a new Rev 151, died and went to heaven. I finally learned how to ride the steep and deep, and since then I have Spring checked a new Rev or XP every year, with a new Summit 50th Anniversary edition that should be here before the end of the month.

I have owned and ridden many sleds in my time, some other brands of deep powder sleds I liked, some I didn't. I ride over 2000-miles a season, and in my honest opinion, the XP platform is the best deep powder sled ever, period.

Here's my dilemma. Even though the XP is an awesome sled, frankly it sucks (for me) in Springtime conditions. Last Spring I ended up riding my X-RS the last two months of the season exclusively. But now the X-RS has been passed down to a first time sled owner, and I'm stuck wondering what I'll be riding this coming Spring?

One of my riding buddies who has an XP also, has an 06 Polaris RMK 600 with 144" track that he rides when the conditions don't warrant having the XP out of the stable. He has mod'ed it with aftermarket pipe, can, and air box, and that thing can go just about anywhere in the Springtime that any of my sleds can. The only issue I have noticed is that Ski-doo's are more tolerant than Polaris to overheating and shutting down when riding warm Springtime conditions.

I'm considering buying a new 08 RMK 600 with 144. I found a dealer that has a few left-overs that he is selling for $6700. Is that a good deal? If not, what price range should I shoot for? Any thoughts on my selection of the RMK 600, or should I consider any other sleds?

Snow is on its way!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

08 Summit Rev-XP 800-X w/154 and HPS can
09 Summit Rev-XP 800 50th Anniversary Edition 154 on its way

T
Jan 19, 2008
Hinton
You might want to even consider a IQ racer replica and add a 144 or 151finger track. The racer with the wider stance might be the ticket for set-up snow. That would be a bit spendy though but would be a nice sled.
For spring riding a lightly modded 600 would be a good engine and coupled with a 144" finger track would be a lot of fun.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
another vote for a lightly modded 600 with a 141 or 144 finger, or stiffer paddle, like the regular camo...

they are fun, M6 141, rev 600 144, dragon 600 144, look around till you find something you like. i think anything in that range is fun when track size and power arent an issue, they go way to many places when it gets setup.

MTNMAN800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Denver Colorado
Your basic logic is good. The one thing that I would add is that switching from one brand of sled to another ( or even the same brand, but two different chassis ) could throw off your "instinctive" riding. I notice when I ride a buddies sled it really takes a while before I can automatically do things without thinking about it first. My point is that if your "main sled" is a REV or REV XP I would look for a REV 144 or a REV renegade 144 so that the "feel" of the sled is similar to you. I will say that for the springtime and hardpack / trail riding you will probably like the RMK better than a REV chassis but in my opinion you will lose that "reflex" type of riding swithcing from one to another.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Spokane, WA
What about one of those new assaults? Not a 600 but might still be fun. Or go a totally different way and do a turbo phaser. You could make a case for a bunch of different sleds. I can also think of many worse problems to have!

Enjoy

Z
Jan 12, 2005
Hahns Peak, CO
You know, I was looking at one of those Assaults, and that would be a kickass Springtime sled. Unfortunately, at $11K or $12K it's way out of my budget since I haven't dropped a dime yet on my inbound 09 Summit other than the $500 deposit.

E
Jan 18, 2008
St. Paul, AB
If I were to have a dedicated springtime sled it would be either a polaris switchback 136 or REV (not XP) Renegade 136, I'd put a 1.75 track with a few studs, gear it for about 90mph and pound the piss out of it, because they can handle it, proven time and time again. They have the suspension (shocks) for worn out access trails, shorter rails (tougher) and a wider ski stance. The reason I'd have studs is the fact that all of us have found ice in bad places in the spring, and this can bring a real ****ty and abrupt end to the season. The shorter tracks/geared down trail sleds have a lot less load on them in corn snow, are easier on belts, and carry around a lot less wet heavy snow.

H
Jan 9, 2003
Sparks, Nevada
This is my springtime and early season sled. I think it works just perfect. 05 IQR with a ves 800 and 144 track.
100_0781-1.jpg

Z
Jan 12, 2005
Hahns Peak, CO
Typically, the snow here in NW Colorado, or at least the area's I ride during the Spring becomes hard, but under the crust you still have sugar snow. We also like to boondock and explore new area's in the Springtime and often, even in May you can still run into powder on the North facing slopes that don't get much sunlight. From my experience, having anything less than a 144 around here is just asking for trouble. We're only on the trails long enough to get into the backcountry.

Premium Features