• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How dedicated are you - cold temps?

F
Sep 11, 2008
Williams Lake, BC
Post up your lower temp limit for sledding. I was out last weekend at about -23 C (grooming) and I thought I was bundled up pretty good but I ended up getting chilled pretty good.

How cold does it have to get before you stay home?

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I'll ride till the frost bite starts to set in :beer;

My lowest is -10 F out with a -50 F windchill. Got some crazy frost bite that day cause I wasn't wearing a balaclava. Never had to wear one before. Lost tons of skin and took forever to heal. Now I never leave the truck without it at least in my pack.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
My tolerance for cold temps is beginning to wane a bit.

No way I am sledding in under 10 above temps.......

G

GMCRMK

Nov 28, 2007
SL,UT - IP,ID
Rode in -35F at night in IP last January. It sucked. Anything below -10F is begining to push the "no longer fun" button.

Last edited:

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
dang it, what are these celsius temps in F?

started a day of trail and lake riding once and found out the morning low was from 20-25 below in F.

Made a quick booze run to the bar across the lake once in maybe 10 below, just long johns, jeans and coat with gloves. Got abit cool on the ride over, was fine until I helped a couple of guys with stalled sleds outside the bar....things got real cold with the gloves off and the wind blowing across the lake. Plus riding back one handed hanging onto the bottle....frooze some finger tips that night.

Last edited:

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
dang it, what are these celsius temps in F?

started a day of trail and lake riding once and found out the morning low was from 20-25 below in F.

Made a quick booze run to the bar across the lake once in maybe 10 below, just long johns, jeans and coat with gloves. Got abit cool on the ride over, was fine until I helped a couple of guys with stalled sleds outside the bar....things got real cold with the gloves off and the wind blowing across the lake. Plus riding back one handed hanging onto the bottle....frooze some finger tips that night.

Bummer about the fingers. At least it was for a good cause :beer; and you did a good deed by helping some people.
I've ridden -20ish many times. I haven't really found a limit yet. I just dress for the temps and have at it. I tend to be more warm than cold. Although my fingers can tend to ruin my day. Had a paper route when I was younger that probably did them in.

Farmer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Carbondale, CO
0 degrees F is the lowest I will ride in unless I have no choice. I used to love the cold but I guess I've worked in it for too many years and it just isn't much fun anymore when it gets below zero.

The wife and I rode at -5 F this weekend and it sucked. It was too cold to be fun. :(

Last edited:
J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
-15F is about it for fun riding. I have run in colder temps but only to get to cabin or if we are on a winter hunt.

Jason

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Units, kids.... 0F != 0C.... big difference, in fact.

Unless we're talking -40's or so, then they're about the same.

Premium Features