• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018/19 Snowy Range Snow Conditions

sledhead685

Premium Member
Jan 12, 2012
Laramie
Is there much of a base yet?

I was able to find the ground a few times, but it took digging a neck deep trench and then scrapping another 6" deeper with my feet to get there. This however was down in the trees. Up higher where it's been getting blasted by the wind is surely a different story. The rocks are a whole lot deeper up there too. It helps spending a lot of time in the range in the summer to know where its safer(er) to go.

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016
Nice to see the snow piling up out there and glad you and the other riders all made it home safe.

May be headed out there this Thursday thru Sunday. Picking up my new Doo 850 on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Anyone going to be out there riding this weekend and want two tag alongs? We’re trying to find a third to go, but no luck so far. Send me a PM.

mwboondockers

Midwest Boondocker’s
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Trempealeau,Wis.
Grooming and trail marking

When do they start grooming and marking trails? I have been there a couple times but don't know the area real well. I was thinking about coming out Dec. 6 -8 for an early trip. we usually ride Tog and Cooke but this is closer and better snow for this time of year. Thanks for any info.

sledhead685

Premium Member
Jan 12, 2012
Laramie
When do they start grooming and marking trails? I have been there a couple times but don't know the area real well. I was thinking about coming out Dec. 6 -8 for an early trip. we usually ride Tog and Cooke but this is closer and better snow for this time of year. Thanks for any info.

Safety shelters, trail marking, and grooming all happen around Dec 15th. Would probably wait until after that happens if you are not too familiar with the area.

WHAT...Heavy snow possible. Two separate systems expected to
move through southern Carbon County producing moderate to heavy
snow. First begins late Wednesday night and runs through
Thursday afternoon. A brief lull in snow expected Thursday
evening before another system moves in late Thursday
night...lasting possibly through Friday night. Total snow
accumulations of 15 to 24 inches possible.

* WHERE...Sierra Madre and Snowy Ranges.

* WHEN...From this evening through Friday afternoon.

Looks like another storm is hitting the range in the next couple days, I'm sure its going to be epic riding this weekend. Can't wait to head out at the end of December, hope it keeps up!

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I wish I could have left to ride here this week is going to be epic please post some pics and reports while I'm stuck here working.

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016
Rode today. 2’ of fresh in a lot of spots, with good snow most anywhere we went. Still a lot of land mines to be found. Better snow than I rode on last year up here, but I’m not able to storm chase usually.

Snowies are really shaping up for a great year if storms keep coming through. Nice solid base by 12/1 is impressive.

Last edited:

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Rode today. Definitely the best snow I’ve seen at the range this early. Snowed all day. A good 10” on top of the snow from earlier this week. Snotels are showing 53”. 40” of that is shaping up to be a great base.

zalez

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2012
Went up on Sunday. Gorgeous day, snow was good but still land mines.

20181202_115746.jpg

Found a creek. Look out for blow holes

20181202_134119.jpg

I apologize to the next person that finds this hole :face-icon-small-coo

20181202_140256.jpg

mwboondockers

Midwest Boondocker’s
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Trempealeau,Wis.
Riding the Snowy's Dec. 13-15

There are a group of 4 of us coming out to Centennial next Thursday morning. we have been riding the mountains for years but have only ridden the Snowie's a couple times. If there are any locals that are looking for someone to ride with that would be great to have someone show us around the area. Thanks

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Yeah the land mine thing scares me,I’m waiting till next month! Seems like every time I tried to go in December it cost me a suspension part! And now that I’m on a snowbike it would probably cost me a Body part!

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Yeah the land mine thing scares me,I’m waiting till next month! Seems like every time I tried to go in December it cost me a suspension part! And now that I’m on a snowbike it would probably cost me a Body part!

Every time I've ridden the back side of the range before jan1 I'm also repairing my sled.

Z
Apr 26, 2017
Anybody have an updates on how the riding conditions are right now? We are leaving for a trip the 26th of Dec. currently have rooms booked in Cooke City, but would rather go to the range if the snow is so so. Bigger riding area and will probably encounter less sleds. Thanks for any updates!

Anybody have an updates on how the riding conditions are right now? We are leaving for a trip the 26th of Dec. currently have rooms booked in Cooke City, but would rather go to the range if the snow is so so. Bigger riding area and will probably encounter less sleds. Thanks for any updates!

Im not out there right now personally, but I know a couple different groups that are. Both rode today out of centennial. Both said the conditions were awesome. Blue bird and fresh

OCDsledder

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2003
Cheyenne WY
Had my first ride of the season yesterday. It was great for this early in the season. It has been at least 4 years since I've seen this amount of snow this early in December.

However, watch for blow outs over the creeks. The guy I was riding with got sucked into a blow out. Fortunately, I had just started digging when a group of 4 from South Dakota came by and started helping. Since we were in the Roller Coaster below the Widow Maker, several other groups came by. In the end there were about 15 people. Thank you all very much for the help. What could have been a night out under the stars ended up being about an hour of extra work.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Snowy Range Snowmobile Club got the GreenRock/east side beacon check station up this afternoon, at the junction of U and O trail (Brooklyn Lake Road/Highway 130 intersection). The club also got the Chains End beacon check station on the west side installed this weekend. So be sure to take a couple seconds to ensure your beacon is transmitting correctly as you ride out to the goods this season. Ride safely, have fun, and THINK SNOW!

Premium Features