• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anything bad about a 2014 ram diesel?

B
Nov 10, 2016
Looking to buy a 2014 ram SLT crew cab with 90,000 miles. This would be my first ram purchase, and first diesel. Anything I should be concerned about or specifically look for at the inspection - the owner appears to take care of his stuff. Price is $30,000

TecCrash

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2017
Middleton, ID
2014 Ram

Looking to buy a 2014 ram SLT crew cab with 90,000 miles. This would be my first ram purchase, and first diesel. Anything I should be concerned about or specifically look for at the inspection - the owner appears to take care of his stuff. Price is $30,000

I wish I was more help on what to look for, I took my 2014 Ram 2500 Laramie into my mechanic to check over before I bought it as it was my first diesel as well. It's damn good truck that pulls anything I want to hook on to. I average about 19 mpg in mixed city/hwy driving. Let me know if you have any questions at all.

TecCrash

zecow224

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2018
Wisconsin
All I can say is my buddy bought one new, and within 10k miles it has been throwing codes wide open and goes into limp mode. He ended up getting lemon law on it and switched to a duramax.

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
It’s not a bad price if it’s been taken care of. I have a ‘12 I bought new and close friend has a 14 he bought new. They’ve both been solid trucks. The 14 pulling an 8.5x25 v-nose steel trailer to Wyoming and back to mn we average 11.5-12 mpg. I think he gets ~19 empty I’m usually in it when it’s hooked to the trailer.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
All I can say is my buddy bought one new, and within 10k miles it has been throwing codes wide open and goes into limp mode. He ended up getting lemon law on it and switched to a duramax.

I have a friend with a '13 with same issues, but it appears that they got stuff squared away, been good for. A couple years now.

dodgetruck2

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2018
Parker, SD
Id imagine you made your purchase or didn't by now but just another $.02, it sound like a pretty great deal if all is taken care of, one thing to remember is they all break, and every now and then ya get a bad one, ive been a Ram Cummins guy from the beginning and still am but I did recently switch to 5.7 Hemi just to shake things up wishing now id have opted for a 6.4Hemi but this ol 5.7 Can work too, im genuinely surprised after being in the diesel world so long, currently the only 2 things I miss are the mpgs and that sweet exhaust tone but with diesel around hear being almost 70 cents higher then gas (E10) I think the mpgs are about a wash and I don't have to deal with winter fuel

as far as the truck in question being its getting up there towards the 100k mark id look into an emmissions delete if it hasn't already been that will eliminate 75% of potential issues, the 6.7L injectors seems to have their crap together also I don't see near the failures like the older 5.9s did, if you do delete keep the power under control the 68RFE is a solid trans behind the stock engine, my last one had a 170k when I sold it and the next owner took it to 250k before he wiped out the OD clutches (he beat it pretty hard too)

post up some pictures if you buy :thumbsup:

Premium Features