• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My XCR 800 Mountain sled build project.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
As the new Gen 2 forum moderator I figured id better actually create a topic here as I do this build. Since the end of winter this forum has been so dead you can practically watch the tumble weeds blow through. So I though maybe Id share my build this year with you guys to garnish some interest again. If your doing a build or just changing stuff on your sled this year, I invite you to make a topic and post your progress for all of us to see.

Anyway a little back ground. The last triple sled I owned was an indy 650 that I had about 5 or 6 years ago, before that I had owned several over the years, 3 XLT's and XCR, that indy 650 and a 96 ULTRA RMK.

I like everyone else made the jump to twins in 98 with the 700 RMK, and hadn't looked back. Over the years I have had around 20 different twin sleds ranging in years from 98 to a 07. RMK's, XC's, Pro X's, PRO XR's, IQR's all of them modded in varying degree's.

Most recently I had a 04 PRO X2 mountain mod sled and a 04 PRO XR race chassis mod sled, each with 800 twins and 144 2 inch tracks.

I sold the Pro XR early this season after only putting about 57 miles on it. I had spent most of the fall building it up from a bare tunnel and bulkhead To replace the Pro x 2 that I wrecked last year.

Late that fall my neck really started giving me a bunch of trouble from that wreck so I ended up being unable to ride for the rest of the year, and sold the PRO XR and my 2 place trailer as I didnt know what was going to happen with this neck issue.

So fast forward to late winter, necks feeling better and I am starting to get the old riding itch again. I live in Missouri so I dont get to ride enough to justify buying a brand new sled, and as far as twins go I have a been there done that mentality with them, nothing a saw really interested me. For quite a while now I have missed the smooth power delivery of a triple. So I decided to pick one up and do a Mountain mod build.

I looked around for quite a while to find this sled at the price I did, and drove all the way to Duluth, MN to pick it up. A cool 2300 bucks later it was in the back of my truck headed back to Missouri. I didnt know if I had made the right choice at first, but after riding it im certain I made the right decision.

The sled is a 2000 XCR 800 and is about as clean for its age as you could ever hope to find. It has 4400 miles on the chassis, however the engine is basically brand new the crank has very few miles on it. I was told that the engine has SLP case and clylinder porting. I know for sure that it has SLP heads, SLP pipes... It runs like a champ and absolutely rips, only thing the engine needs is a water pump rebuild.

I lucked out in a few area's on this sled. It already has a 2 inch lug 151 skidoo paddle track under it and a MMP 2 wheel kit with some nice bling wheels on it. Along with a decent set of C and A ski's and a set of tracks USA extensions I can use for other projects down the road.

I have already started accumulating parts for it, in anticipation for the start of this build. You couldnt ask for a cleaner straiter sled to start with. It even has REVERSE.. Which id like to keep, but I dont think I can as I wont be able to get the correct gearing combo with it.

I bought a 151 skid out of a 06 RMK with newer walker evans shocks, and i have a HOLZ race skid that needs some work I might run too. I recently found a HOLZ Gen 2 kit from a member on this site that I am going to buy so now I need to figure out what skid im going to run. I like options and will probably have all 3 skids in the sled by the time all is said and done to see what skid works the best.

I also found a set of timber sled bark buster trailing arms on the site that Im going to buy and run on it as well. I also plan on getting some aluminum radius and steering rods made and getting a set of Exit shocks build for the front too. Should bring the front end up some and help out over the stock setup ride wise.

The sled came with a light weight fiberglass hood Im going to throw on. Im Going to paint the hood white and go with orange, blue and grey wrap... kind of like a urban camo shattered glass look from Arctic FX. Should be pretty sweet when its all done.

As for the tank and seat combo I have a edge style clear tank I am contemplating running a Pro XR or X2 seat. I also have a tank off an IQ switchback that will work with the oil tank in the stock location so I may find a 07 IQ seat and run that. Not exactly sure yet.

I plan on running a 2 inch extended post from Fabcraft and do a 6 inch bar rise with some Fly Aero taper bars. I already have a set of extroverts and a Drop and roll case of a IQR that I built a few years ago that I am going to use on it. I am going to try to see if I can retro fit a set of air frame running boards on the Gen 2 black tunnel... Might be a bit of work but shoud be worth it and go to a large U cooler over the stock setup.

So its a pretty extensive project to say the least and will take me most of the summer and probably part of the fall to get it all done as I am doing this as I can collect the parts to do it. Some of the stuff may change as I go, but for now this is just whats running through my head.

I've attached some pictures of the sled and some of the stuff that I already have. I will be updating as I get new stuff and start working on it.

Let me know what you guys think. :high5:

XCR.jpg XCR 2.jpg xcr 4.jpg xcr skid.jpg xcr skid 2.jpg xcr 3.jpg XCR light hood..jpg

Last edited:
C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
Everything looks and sounds good! Should be pretty sick when its all done! Cant wait to ride with u next year! Good luck on the build!

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Everything looks and sounds good! Should be pretty sick when its all done! Cant wait to ride with u next year! Good luck on the build!

It should be man, Long ways to go and several more dollars, a case of beer or three and many hours of working on this to get there.

Im sure we will have a blast riding as well man, cant wait for some good snow.

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
Oh the XCR triple.... how I miss it. The Cyls are 100% positively ported by SLP, I had them done for my build. I had my cases ported, Chris did not. I'll Try to find the reciept for the porting/heads, just saw it before I moved. PM me your address and I'll mail it over when I find it. Nice hood, you really cleaned Chris out. :)
Bore those carbs, there's 8+ HP on the table! And contact me about a special CDI box I had done for that engine combo. I have a nitrous kit for an extra 60 HP if your interested :face-icon-small-hap

Good looking build thus far, I'd go with the Pro-x tank and have the oil tank modded. Then you can run the boss seat for an edge which are more available than some of the other seats.

The Holz skid worked quite well after I had Carls revalve the shocks, i'd look into that, they do an outstanding job making the coilover work the way it should.

I'd also go with a stock height post and add the addtional height you want via the riser. Seen too many GenII post snap above the support bushing to count. I'd also install one of these: http://startinglineproducts.com/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&catalogID=3&catID=25&productID=60 in lieu of the stock piece (which is a JOKE)

Last edited:
X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Oh the XCR triple.... how I miss it. The Cyls are 100% positively ported by SLP, I had them done for my build. I had my cases ported, Chris did not. I'll Try to find the reciept for the porting/heads, just saw it before I moved. PM me your address and I'll mail it over when I find it. Nice hood, you really cleaned Chris out. :)
Bore those carbs, there's 8+ HP on the table! And contact me about a special CDI box I had done for that engine combo. I have a nitrous kit for an extra 60 HP if your interested :face-icon-small-hap

Good looking build thus far, I'd go with the Pro-x tank and have the oil tank modded. Then you can run the boss seat for an edge which are more available than some of the other seats.

The Holz skid worked quite well after I had Carls revalve the shocks, i'd look into that, they do an outstanding job making the coilover work the way it should.

I'd also go with a stock height post and add the addtional height you want via the riser. Seen too many GenII post snap above the support bushing to count. I'd also install one of these: http://startinglineproducts.com/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&catalogID=3&catID=25&productID=60 in lieu of the stock piece (which is a JOKE)

So no case porting huh, eh no big deal. The combo of the rest should still make for a pretty potent sled. I will PM you my address. If you could find that receipt would be good to have proof is always nice. As for the ECU what map does it run? Is it a pump gas map?? NOS is pretty tempting... HMMM I've never ran that before, so I dont even know whats all involved in it. How much does the clutching and stuff have to change in order to run a 60 shot? I need to talk to you anyway some day here soon and get those front shocks ordered...

I plan on getting Don to do my carbs I WONT be leaveing the 8 HP on the table thats for sure, I am also going to get a set of V force reeds for the sled. Your right I got a great deal from Chris, couldn't ask for a nicer sled.

Id be running that HOLZ skid for sure, but the rear shock is wrecked on the one that I have. The body actually got dented when the cross over broke. So im pretty sure that it cannot be fixed, and Im going to have to try to find a new one. Might be the perfect time to get the new valving done.

Im leaning more towards the boss seat or Pro XR seat too. I like the PRO XR seat a little better because of how short it is and I can run a bigger rear rack for gas and stuff. Im not sure if I like this clear tank though. They look nice, but the fuel degrades so much faster in them. I actually do have another black one back home that I can use. so I might just go get that.

As for the steering bushing your exactly right, the stock one is a POS the SLP one looks pretty good I will order it. I've seen the broken post issue first had with several RMK sleds, but I was told the fabcraft post was supposed to be stronger, not worth the risk though. That and not having to pull the engine to change it out will save me a lot of time anyway. I'll just got with a pivot adapter and do the risers to get the rest of what I need.

Last edited:

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
So no case porting huh, eh no big deal. The combo of the rest should still make for a pretty potent sled. I will PM you my address. If you could find that receipt would be good to have proof is always nice. As for the ECU what map does it run? Is it a pump gas map?? NOS is pretty tempting... HMMM I've never ran that before, so I dont even know whats all involved in it. How much does the clutching and stuff have to change in order to run a 60 shot? I need to talk to you anyway some day here soon and get those front shocks ordered...

I plan on getting Don to do my carbs I WONT be leaveing the 8 HP on the table thats for sure, I am also going to get a set of V force reeds for the sled. Your right I got a great deal from Chris, couldn't ask for a nicer sled.

Id be running that HOLZ skid for sure, but the rear shock is wrecked on the one that I have. The body actually got dented when the cross over broke. So im pretty sure that it cannot be fixed, and Im going to have to try to find a new one. Might be the perfect time to get the new valving done.

Im leaning more towards the boss seat or Pro XR seat too. I like the PRO XR seat a little better because of how short it is and I can run a bigger rear rack for gas and stuff. Im not sure if I like this clear tank though. They look nice, but the fuel degrades so much faster in them. I actually do have another black one back home that I can use. so I might just go get that.

As for the steering bushing your exactly right, the stock one is a POS the SLP one looks pretty good I will order it. I've seen the broken post issue first had with several RMK sleds, but I was told the fabcraft post was supposed to be stronger, not worth the risk though. That and not having to pull the engine to change it out will save me a lot of time anyway. I'll just got with a pivot adapter and do the risers to get the rest of what I need.

Carls can get you a shock body, it won't be all that badd, just give Chris at Carls a call.

The Fabcraft post is much stronger than stock. I would upgrade the post, but keep the stock height on it so you don't stress the post above the bushing. Also consider geting a Wildchild steering post CC customs, does a very nice job and very resonable. I think $125 ish last time I checked.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Carls can get you a shock body, it won't be all that badd, just give Chris at Carls a call.

The Fabcraft post is much stronger than stock. I would upgrade the post, but keep the stock height on it so you don't stress the post above the bushing. Also consider geting a Wildchild steering post CC customs, does a very nice job and very resonable. I think $125 ish last time I checked.

Im not sure fabcraft makes posts that are stock height anymore. As I understand it they make 2. One that was 2 inches higher than the stock post, and had the same bends and stock and another modified post to run pod filters.

Wildchild is no longer making posts. The last I knew he had no parts to make anymore and didnt plan on making any. A member here on this forum got the last one from him here this year...

Hmm. Maybe I should just order some tubing and tig weld out one myself. Id do another titanium one, but I dont have the stuff to do it at the job I work now.

I will call carl's about the shock body, I have to rebuild the cross over and try to straiten the one shaft... Shouldnt be too bad at least I can heat treat it here at work. Id really like to use the Holz skid I have over this 06 Polaris skid I bought... Its so much better build and works alot slicker.

I need to get started on some of this stuff here soon. Winters not all that far away, and I dont want to have to scrable like I did last year to build that XR in about 3 weeks.

Last edited:
B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
XCR GenII

Ran great, kind of heavy for a mountain sled, that's why I sold it. Probably should have kept it but the Dragon is a good replacement. I sold it to an Ice road Trucker in Canada. At least that's what he said he was between swear words.

The 159 made a world of difference, the 156 wanted to spin but the 159 would launch. Funny how 1 more paddle would make that much difference.

Last edited:
X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Well A little progress on this, I dont work on the sleds in the Summer as its WAY WAY to hot here in Missouri to spend any real amount of time in the garage in the summer time.

Anyway.

At Haydays I picked up a few more parts for this sled.

1. A set of Ryde FX Pro series clicker shocks with 35 miles on them for $200 bucks. I have since put the stock red springs on them as they were a bit stiffer than what the black springs that came on the shocks were.

2. A black and white checkered cobra windshield.

3. A 06 Switchback seat to go with my tank. Still need to get the post ordered for the seat.

I plan on getting a piece of diamond plate on the top of the tunnel to cover up the holes from the cooler and then putting a gas rack on the sled. This is the sole reason I went with this seat solely so I could have more room for a gas rack. With the edge tank and the boss I would have had much less room.

still need to put one of those rear skids in this sled too. Progress will be coming along more now that its colder outside.

Xcr progress.jpg

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
ive been looking for mod chassis stuff for my 99 but theres squat, i always wanted a pro x

Last edited by a moderator:
X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
ive been looking for mod chassis stuff for my 99 but theres squat, i always wanted a pro x

I hear ya. Honestly Im kinda disillusioned with the Gen 2 chassis in stock forum. Start modding it, and it REALLY comes alive! Love this engine. The chassis... A work in progress to hopefully match.

I bought a 03 800 RMK 159 at Haydays, and have another sled in the works.

The more I think about this the more I think a longer track would make this even better. 155-162 length. We will see what next year brings.

Last edited:
X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Got a box in the main today from itsallgood. Thanks again!

These are in SUPER nice shape, only one scratch on one of them.

Will get them on this weekend. then post pictures.

trailing arms.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features