• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch Questions

Thread Rating
3.00 star(s)
S
Jan 15, 2008
I'm in way over my head as far as time is concerned. I am rebuilding my son's 98 500 RMK and have a stock P85 clutch almost all the way torn down. (I think it has teflon bearings which I can't get out.) I don't have the time or tools to do it right without screwing it up. Does anyone have any great recommendations on a complete clutch rebuilder, quality work for a reasonable price? I have come to accept that we'll certainly have to ship it from Lubbock, TX. Thanks in advance, we're looking forward to the snow!:cool::cool:

Dec 30, 2007
Crescent, Iowa
Is it worth rebuilding? What is worn on the clutch? The buttons, the weight pins, weights, bushings. If it is anything more than that, buy a new one. This is one of the most important pieces to making sled perform, don't go cheap it can cost more in the long run. Talk to IndyDan at Indy Specialties. A new one is around $400. By the way, how far is it torn down. If you can get good pics of the spider, to see if it is shot, that would be great. If it isn't worn your good to go.

S
Jan 15, 2008
Wear

No, the spider looks good, but all the moveable parts need replacing, and the teflon? bearings throughout. I don't believe that it ever been rebuilt. getting it off was a bear. I've include pictures of both boys last winter at Strawberry Valley, UT.

Sam.jpg Baylor.jpg

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Indy Dan on here or basically any Polaris dealer can take care of it for you. Seeing as how it is a 500 sled that clutch will last a long time. They are built for engines a lot more powerful than that one. How many miles on it? Common wear items are cheap to replace. Teflon bushings can be changed for about 1/2 hour labor.

Dec 30, 2007
Crescent, Iowa
Indy Dan on here or basically any Polaris dealer can take care of it for you.

They have the correct tools to do this and it usually takes one hour to rebuild the clutch (that's what we used to charge). Reason I was asking how far you have torn in to it is that no shop likes parts brought to them in a cardboard box. If you have removed or turned the spider, and didn't mark it is tough for the dealer to balance. Then send it to Dan, he will be able to balance the clutch. Good Luck.

S
Jan 15, 2008
Done

Guys, thanks for all your input. RMK727 did the work, rebuilt and balance for a reasonable 2 bills. I appreciate your everyone's suggestions and willingness to share and provide input. It was done inside of a day, I just have to figure out where my wallet is...:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:beer;

How do I post a Thank You to him so that his Thank You rating goes up?

Premium Features