• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Easy Start the best $400 I have Spent!!

S
Dec 15, 2007
Kelowna BC
When I snowchecked my 09 D800 I went for the easystart option.Now that I have been out on several rides and with all the stop and go stuff I absolutly love the elec start.No more wrenching my arm when in an awckward spot.I also love the look on others face when I leave the chalet and hit the starter.I certainly don't miss pulling over a 800 twin escpecially when cold:D
2 thumbs way up on this option

N
Nov 25, 2008
Clark, CO
Is it really worth it on a fuel-injected sled? I have yet to pull more than 3 times to start mine this year.

Before we had fuel injection, and had to finesse the choke, a cold morning would give you a sore shoulder before you even got on the trail. I just don't think its worth it now.

Where do the battery and starter go?

jdtech65

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2008
Northwest IA
The battery sits down by the secondary clutch. The starter sits right in front of the engine, to the right of the y pipe and then there is a flexible starter shaft that flexs around to the primary. The kit includes a new primary, if you are adding it on.

S
Jan 29, 2009
gettin a little lazy for an sports activist. give me a kick start if it saves weight

THIS GUYS RIGHT. IF MY MOTORCYCLE HAD KICK START I WOULD NOT HAVE ELECTRIC. TILL IM WEAK AN WIMPY. LIKE SOME. OR ALL SLEDS GO ELECTRIC. IF YOU OR I CANT PULLSTART A PERFORMANCE SLED WHY RIDE ONE . BACK UP PULL CORDS I CARRY TWO.MUST HAVE A TOURING SLED .I GET SORE RIDING 30 TO 90 ALLDAY .BUT TENNIS ELBOW COME ON. I TELL GUYS ON THE TRAIL YA THATS NICE. THINKIN TOUR MACHINE IS WHAT YOU NEED.:p

M

mod03rmk800

Nov 26, 2007
missoula
I had to park my dragon against a tree this weekend. Very steep hill that was very slippery. Just pulling it over was causing the sled to slide worse down hill backwards around the tree. Once started, climbed aboard to begin the "leep of faith" move to start the decent, only to have the sled die. Had to wrestle the dang thing manually off that tree the hard way and pick down trough the trees without the motor because I think it ran out of gas by the angle it was in. Pulled and pulled and pulled up on the hill with nothing. Once down on flat ground I wished I had that electric start as I had to give it the full cord pull after pull until it finally popped. I was whipped!!

M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
do you think a sled w/o electric start will outclimb one with electric start?

I doubt it

of course it will...since it has to add more than 10lbs..comon lets be realistic

a starter and a battery and required wiring....

im thinking 25-30lbs?

identical sleds 30lbs will make a differance.

its all about having your sled tuned properly...my 01 starts always second pull freezing cold. and first EVERY TIME warm without throttle

and i can do it sitting down...unlike my pig m7 which takes 2 guys 2 arms to reef that beast over

Last edited:
S
Dec 27, 2007
Aberdeen, SD
The e-start adds about 20lbs. The weight is not a problem unless you are a heavy person and are hauling extra weight anyway. If you weigh 240 already and add 20lbs more it is a problem. If you weigh 160 and add 20 that's only average for a man and no problem. I have e-start and love it until you need to pull the belt or worse yet the secondary. The battery and wires to it are right in the way. If you change sec. springs or helix often it wouldn't be worth the convenience of just turning the key. This is in regard to the IQ. The edge has a much better battery and starter location. You don't realize how many times a day you start your sled unless you keep track. My new crf Honda came with e-start (about 8 lbs) and has no kickstart (less 5-6 lbs). Great!!

B
Sep 21, 2004
the e-start adds about 20lbs. The weight is not a problem unless you are a heavy person and are hauling extra weight anyway. If you weigh 240 already and add 20lbs more it is a problem. If you weigh 160 and add 20 that's only average for a man and no problem. I have e-start and love it until you need to pull the belt or worse yet the secondary. The battery and wires to it are right in the way. If you change sec. Springs or helix often it wouldn't be worth the convenience of just turning the key. This is in regard to the iq. The edge has a much better battery and starter location. You don't realize how many times a day you start your sled unless you keep track. My new crf honda came with e-start (about 8 lbs) and has no kickstart (less 5-6 lbs). Great!!

more weight, more parts, more failures, more diag of things gone wrong, battery tending in the off season, battery replacements seasonaly because you will not do the last comment.

Whatever.......not to mention if you sled does not fire in 2-3 pulls in zero degree weather, it's not tuned!

G

GMCRMK

Nov 28, 2007
SL,UT - IP,ID
I'd spend $400 for E-start on my WIFE'S sled as I don't mind starting mine but mine AND her's gets old. Although I must say she does it mostly by herself even if she struggles with it.

Premium Features