• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how to get water out of fuel lines?

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
ok..so i rebuilt an old 700 for my buddy..its an arctic cat :eek: lol..

and we got the motor done..installed, fueled/oiled ect..went to start and it started real fast and died..looked into it and i can see water droplets on the piston and on the plugs..

i brain dumped bleeding the whole fuel system...i only drained the tank..so i am sure there is water in the lines from sitting all summer/winter..

my question is---

1. should i take the head off to get the water out of the cylinder, and would it cause damage if it got past the rings? or should i try and dry them off through the carb/exhaust hole
2. should i drain the entire tank and air blow the lines out or is there an easier way to do this..

inputs..??

thanks in advance..

P
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Drain the carb bowls and lines from the tank. Reconnect and get your friend to start pulling the cord. The heat from the motor will evaporate the small amount of water in the engine.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
You said you just rebuilt the motor so are you sure it's water in the fuel or a head gasket or o ring that did'nt quite get in there right?

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
??

You said you just rebuilt the motor so are you sure it's water in the fuel or a head gasket or o ring that did'nt quite get in there right?

you know that is a very good point..:eek:

i am pretty sure the head gasket sealed up good..its only an inner and outter O ring..but yes good point..

i still feel there is some..maybe very very small amounts of water in the lines..

i will pull lines and try and drain them as much as i can..and carbs as well..

might as well pull head off and check O rings and clean piston area anyways..just hate the chance of getting antifreeze getting by piston into the crank area if i remove head you know :eek:

Premium Features