• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2006 Edge Touring 550 jetting advice needed

In Winter we use our sleds mainly for transportation back and forth to mainland - which is less than 1km each way. Usually 2 up, often towing small sleigh. I have a 2006 Edge touring 550. We have always run fan cooled sleds as liquids either take too long to warm up, or overheat on bare ice.

I rebuilt my 550 with spi pistons and extra clearance. It has 280pto/270mag jetting. Needles clipped in middle.

It always seems to run too rich, especially in warmer weather. too the point of bogging where I have to coax it to get on the pipe.

I have read old posts where some people have used 220 mains. That seems like a HUGE drop from stock, but maybe it;s the way I should go? We do not use it for long trial rides - although sometimes kids go for a 25 minutes rip around island.

Can I safely go down to much smaller jetting to get better warm weather running? I know these engines have burn down issues.

Thanks and sorry for long email

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I wouldn't go to 220 mains for your elevation. I found a jetting chart for your sled and it looks like 270/260 or 260/250 would be a better setup.
See attachment for jetting.

Attachments

• 2006 PolarisTrail touring jetting.pdf
    286.6 KB · Views: 28

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Experiment with the needle clips in the #2 position from the top. Mains are for high RPM performance. Needle clips are for idling and low RPM performance.

Bushwacker1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Wisconsin
Install a holzmann tempaflow on the sled. This device will adjust your jetting as the temps rise. I have installed them on over 10 different sleds between my own or friends sleds. You jet from the MFG jetting chart for -20 Deg F and it applies a vacuum to your float bowls as the outside air temp rises to keep the jetting where it should be. This device is truly a product that does everything it is advertised to do. There is also a way to make fine tuning adjustments if your elevation changes.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
You would want to check on how much oil you are burning per gallon of gas, and try to keep it in the 40 parts gas to 1 part oil range. As sleds get older, the oil pump mixture will vary to the point of burning up crankshaft bearings. Polaris always goes conservative on all of their jetting and needle recommendations, so that the engine don't burn down under warranty.

Premium Features