• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 viper oil pressure issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
I had this issue when i demoed the vipers last year, i don't like the relocated separator, i'd rather have spilt oil in belly pan rather than on clutches. i've been looking into some catch cans that have been around in the performance automotive industry.

watched that boondocker video and would sure like to know what kind of witchcraft is going on inside that oil tank.

Y

yamahajohnson220

Jan 4, 2008
YamahaJohnson isn't this the problem you had on the demo ride last spring? Seems you had oil dripping out when we stopped after a left hand downhill turn. Hope I don't have this problem next week. It would be terribly embarrassing around all those Poo's!

Yes it sure is, and obviously never got the attention it needed. Plenty of reps seen what happened. I also feel we (the consumer and dealer) should not have to pay a damn dime to fix this issue either.

N

NosGTSR

Nov 27, 2007
I got a fitting and some hose. Ill post some pics of what I come up with shortly.

blown addiction

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Pocatello
My idea, would like your thoughts

So I have been looking at this problem for a few days, trying to figure out a better placement of the oil separator and a way to shorten the return line. My thought at this point is to relocate the separator to the large void behind the radiator, I can run the out going line from the top of the tank over the steering support and right along the passenger side of the airbox to the separator, then I can remove the long line running under the engine and shorten it keeping it low along the bellypan and away from all the heat sources. from there I could either route the breather hose back to the inspection port and t in a vent line or just run the vent line up the drivers side of the airbox. I think either way the only way it would spit oil is if it were completely upside down. I would really like Yamaha or MPI to give us a fix but I don't want to wait for a long time and keep dealing with the oil everywhere.

I think extending the drain line all the way across the engine and putting the breather line lower than the separator tank are the two biggest issues that have to be overcome.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
I think extending the drain line all the way across the engine and putting the breather line lower than the separator tank are the two biggest issues that have to be overcome.

my personal opinion is this is the prob,the only way this can happen is if the separator isnt draining fast enough.

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
200 miles mine is dry and maybe a drop, been ripping big f upped whoops and notin honey! But not steep stuff because I'm scared and we need snow :)))))))MPI and the basic turbo rocks but good luck with contacting them?:face-icon-small-con

Tomkat700

Lifetime Membership
Feb 26, 2013
Pierce, Co
Two rides and 60ish total miles and had to add a quart and a half this morning. I think I went through less oil on my old M8. I hope MPI and Yamaha figure it out soon.:help:

blown addiction

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Pocatello
Matt if you need a tester for your fix or if you can send me a price for the fitting I'd like to try it, like I said before I have only lost about 2 maybe 3 tablespoons of oil but when it mixes with the melting snow it gets everywhere and coats with a fine mist.

I still think shortening the bottom return line and raising the brether tube will fix all of it except when upside down, which I have fortunatley haven't done yet.

N

NosGTSR

Nov 27, 2007
This is what I found at a local Evco. I was down at MPI today and their fitting looks like it will work way better. For the time being it will have to do.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
if you guy want to fix the problem,block the return line out the bottom of the breather too the tank.its being caused by oil back filling from the tank to the breather because of the new longer hose & angle to the breather.

Y

yamahajohnson220

Jan 4, 2008
Makes me wonder if State Farm will pay my insurance claim because my sled leaked engine oil onto hot parts and started on fire........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features