• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Determining the value of a Highly Customized Mod-Sled??

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
Learned this lesson after I had to mod my 2nd mtn max 700. All MPI and SLP everything, and a Boss Seat when they were alive. Whoops forgot the 800$ Ohlins up front. 6k on top of 7k for the sled new, sold to a buddy only to have him kick my arse on it. I skipped the nitro thing and Barely held on to my wallet when you got the MPI supercharger deal going on, ACL ( ACL and new anything with a cl in my knee)replacement has a way of slowing you a bit. Been yarding on a Apex bone stock since Dec of 06. Now its time again and Im all ears! :face-icon-small-win

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
Your sled is Bad *** but I waited this thing out, i do have two grandchildren that need to ride, but they live in San Diego and i can Surf. :face-icon-small-hap

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Your sled is Bad *** but I waited this thing out, i do have two grandchildren that need to ride, but they live in San Diego and i can Surf. :face-icon-small-hap

I have four kids.
That why I have two nytros and two phasers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2 pro.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Mine is up for sale as well and sadly I'm in the same boat. I'm going to list it in Canada and hope for 7k. I don't have as much invested as chris, but it is close to 20k.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
It is unfortunate that the term "MOD" sled even works against you. Its the idea of why is someone selling the sled if it runs really good. Most people see "MOD" sled and instantly think why would i want to buy someone's problem child.

I would start at $10-$11 and if someone offered you $8000 I would take it. M5 started a thread on here for his Nypex and it was a one off beautiful sled that he built himself and from the videos ran really strong. I am sure in time and money he had well over 40 grand invested and people were only offering him advice on what he did wrong or how they would have built it differently when he was asking what is was worth. just like in car sleds are worth way more in pieces then they are together. Of course parting one out brings on its own set of issues I am sure the new vipers will have their issues when people start to ride them full time on the snow next year but with the technology of the new sleds you cant deny that spending 15 grand on a brand new sled is a better deal then spending 12 grand on a 7-8 year old sled that has about that many years of bad press and issues. I know yours is a little newer but still the point is valid

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
It kind of depends on how much time you want to spend selling it. In some cases it's better to take the aftermarket stuff off and sell it separately. Then sell your sled in more of a stock version. Or you may even want to keep some items (K-mod skid) for your other Nytro or the Viper.
Often times the new owner may not wan't all of the items on the sled. Kind of like when you re-paint your house and sell it, only to have the new owner re-paint it in a color that they perfer better.

Swapping out the aftermarket parts and selling them does take time through. Time that you may not have, or want to spend going though the process of "de-modding" the sled!

Also I would run ads nation wide, I've had good luck using TY. To the right buyer it might be worth it to the ship the sled. Yamahas sell easier in the eastern part of the country, when I sold my Nytro a guy from Eastern Canada bought it. It cost him around $1100 to have it shipped, but it had all the mods he wanted and was exactly what he was looking for!
Bill

Last edited:
M
Jan 14, 2004
You really only have 3 choices, give it away so like $7k - 8k is all you'll end up seeing, part it probably your best option money wise could probably squeeze out $8k to $9k, or keep it. I decided to just keep my Nypex and run it into the ground, I'll be fawked if I'm going to buy a Viper and start all over again sorry I just don't see the draw of that sled, IMO the Viper won't stand the test of time, Yamaha has all but said it's a temporary patch so the smart guy doesn't invest much money into one of those. I think if I was in the market for a new sled I'd just go down to the Doo dealer pick up an XM, throw on a can and leave the rest bone stock, oh yah then there's the 4 year warranty good thing I still have my Nypex, lol.

M5

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Interesting point on the longevity of the viper.
Who knows how long it will be in production before YamaCat comes out with something that is "really" new from top to bottom...

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Ya my outlook on mods for a sled has really changed. I now keep everything from the stock platform and look at mods that are bolt on. Some things you can't take off like the running boards, but figure you can get half your money for your mods if you sell them individually, and then sell the sled as stock as possible. Or hope to find the person willing to buy it complete. The market is really flooded with nice modded sleds now a days as everyone shifts to the "new" kid on the playground.

Farmer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Carbondale, CO
I don't post much anymore but having built, bought and sold mod sleds for years I thought I would honestly chime in. I would concur with most of the guys on here it's only worth $7500 to $8500 tops unless you find that special someone. Especially being spring time. It's a gorgeous sled with a ton of hardware but it has a couple strikes against it in my mind.

1. It's now an out dated chassis that was already old and was never known as a great handler. You either like riding the nitro chassis or you don't.

2. It's a super charger. They don't hold their value and there is a very limited market that likes them. There are a few guys that love them, but they are far and few between compared to turbo guys.

I'm just stating my honest opinion here, I like Yamaha and always will but they have a much smaller following than say ski-doo or Polaris. By the time you take that coupled with the other issues it makes for a tough sale.

Any brand mod is a losing proposition under the best of circumstances. My last four sleds have been all mods, 2 Yamaha's (turbo apex and SC nitro), a cat (TM8) and doo (XM Big Bore) and I've lost my butt on each one. I just feel like it's a way bigger market with the 2 strokes.
I’m actually really excited about the Viper but the biggest thing holding me back from pulling the trigger is being scared of getting rid of it in a few years and dealing with the limited market in that respect. As curious and interested as I am in a new turboed Viper I don’t want to be in the same boat again I was with the apex and nitro. I don’t want have to give it away in a few years.

Just a different presepective.

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
I'm getting one since I haven't sprung for a new sled since 06. It's good stuff and everyone knows it. I'd like to know how many poo and doo riders have a WR or R1- R6? Just throwing some more gas on the fire:face-icon-small-coo

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
7500-8500 is likely where it will end up selling. Ive blown a lot of money on sleds over the years. My last Apex had 25K in it and sold in the 7500 range when it was 5 years old. My last mod 2 stroke was only 3 years old and had around 15K in it and sold for 6500.

I have now tried to keep this in check. My last sled that was only 2 years old I just traded and the only money I spent on it was 200.00 for running boards and 90.00 for a skid plate. The rest of the things were just bags that could be removed. Plus its nice having a sled you can trade in at anytime. Eric

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Hopefully I will do a bit better than that!
It's listed now, and I have six months to see if I can find a buyer

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I wish the Phazers had a better track record with being boosted.
Would love to boost mine if I thought the little engines would really stand up to it long term

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
It's only worth what someone will pay....Mod sleds are fun but they are horrible investments.

FYI stock sleds kept in good shape retain there value better than mod sleds in equal shape.

DPG

Premium Features