• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation & Review: Yamaha OEM Turbo & MPI Stage One Upgrade

Powder Man

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2009
Kennewick wa
I had to basically start over. The push kit does not have the trick billet throttle body mount and there's a few other things slightly different things like my turbo doesn't take the upgrade parts they send. I've never taken the radiator or throttle bodies off before, while none of it is terribly hard it is time consuming making sure it is right. Your upgrade should go much quicker as your basically just swapping air box for intercooler and a few other minor things. The fuel pump upgrade is time consuming as well, the directions are straight forward and I had little problem with it. I've yet to ride the sled but I'm hoping to go this weekend.

Powder Man

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2009
Kennewick wa
I bought my push turbo before mpi came out with their kit. I had the push upgrade last year that was an extra injector and fuel mapping. While an improvement over stock in my opinion not enough that I was happy with it. The intercooler, fuel pump upgrade, and bridge controller should make my sled good for
12-15lbs of boost. Maybe I should've just bit the bullet at the time and went mcx or impulse but at over twice the price it wasn't really affordable. I've enjoyed building my sled in stages and will probably keep adding parts until there's nothing else I can do.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
So what all are you running on your sled from MPI??

Alright so about three weeks ago I was out riding after I had just done the re-clutching on my sled.

Now when we got out to the field to play I noticed that i had to give the sled about half throttle before the sled would engage and move. We quickly found out that when I had redone the clutching on the sled I forgot find the clutch I just installed it. So of course that led to it having to be removed.

038.jpg

So here you see me having taken the belt off, and the secondary off.

039.jpg

Now here I am trying to put the clutch on my by self. That did not happen. haha I did not have the strength to push it on my self. It ended up taking three of us, all wearing gloves huddled in the wind to get the clutch to slip back on.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Well here are my two buddies who saved me getting my clutch on.

IMG_3987.jpg

No with one nut on I was able to get the rest of the clutch put on. With it under tension set to 60 degrees.

036.jpg

Well with that out of the way, we started up the sled and it ran just fine! No complaints at all. Ohh and as a note the RPMS are now back down to where it should be due to the clutching we did.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Alright now on the same ride as the clutch pull I had another funny incident occur.

My turbo intake fell off when I rolled the sled over while I was playing in the powder

047.jpg

Now for anyone who knows "TurboLover" he is an amazing man to have around when things dont work on the sled. He was invaluable help as I worked on the clutch, air intake and increased the chain tension since it was loose and the belt was as well

051.jpg

Here you can see him putting it back together. We are going to have to come up with a new way to make sure that it stays on in the future! Anyone have this problem??

Last you can see us here working on the chain tension, since we were working on everything else we tightened that as well. Sled ran great after that all day!

046.jpg

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Now for some general observations that I have had since doing this turbo install along with plans for the sled.

Now I have noticed that when I put my sled into reverse it is almost impossible to make my sled crawl backward. When ever I am taking my sled out of the trailer i always spin the track.

Along with that, if I am to careful on the throttle just barely trying to make it engage the engine will sometimes seem like its getting no fuel and the engine will die.

Would love to know if anyone else experiences this? No problem at all going reverse on powder or when im trying to really move the sled. But if I need to move slowly its nearly impossible.

Powder Man

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2009
Kennewick wa
From mpi I'm running the stage 1 upgrade and their fuel pump upgrade. Another difference from push is that mpi runs a 1-3/4" charge tube while push runs a 2" so I bought an exhaust reducer from an auto parts store to plumb it up. Still haven't gotten a chance to ride yet, Washington is really hurting for snow! Looks like your dialed now, prepare for new clutching with your upgrade!

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Dang that 1 and 3/4 barely fit in the hole i had to cut. I cant imagine trying to fit another quarter of an inch...

Hmm I am wondering how much of a change that I really am going to see on it. Haha the plan of of now is to do it all tomorrow night, but its sad because I just got the sled running right!

Aww well onto bigger and better!

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Good morning everyone!

Well a fun little side note, Jason the owner over at Fokus Graphics has decided to donate a wrap that shipped yesterday morning. He likes what I have been doing and we have been working the past few months on a wrap for it.

Here is the teaser of what it "may" look like ;)

CHRIS-PARRET-NYTRO5.jpg

See the attachment for a clearer version

CHRIS-PARRET-NYTRO (5).jpg

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
On a different note, I will be starting the inter-cooler installation tonight.

As you all recall I was supposed to do it a few days ago but got caught up with family and Christmas stuff. So I will ring in the new year working on the sled!

Rattman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2013
Saskabush
Need to Build a snorkel for that machine and get your Intake above the snow. Plus While jumping around you tend to kick the intake with your foot and knock off the snow. Can't remember the part # off hand i just took the Breather to NAPA and asked to find an 90 degree Rad hose that fit.

photo.jpg

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Yea someone on here did give me a part number for it, I just need to get over there and buy the part...

So youre saying that putting that elbow on it makes it not fall off as well as not ice up?

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Hey powder man it went good! I'll do the full write up later.

But in short the only issue is I had to replace the air hose running from underneath the throttle bodies to the intercooler.

Headed out now to test it!

Also I noticed loading the sled it takes a lot of throttle to get the clutch to engage...
Any idea why?

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Alright guys I had an absolute blast riding on the sled this past saturday. MPI's stage one upgrade is a huge upgrade from the OEM turbo that I had.

On top of that the BOV sounded pretty awesome haha.

Anyway, onto the install.

Well it honestly was pretty straight forward.

I had to start with of course taking off all the panels, the seat, heat shield and taking off the mounting brackets for the steering column but no need to remove it.

Stage1Upgrade012.jpg

Lets start with the back of sled

By the way I hate taking that heat shield off. Haha still waiting on the new one from skinz!

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Well you can see all of the bagged parts for the MPI Stage 1 Upgrade here. The only parts not shown are the actual intercooler, the new waist gate and the new CAC tube. These will be seen later.

Stage1Upgrade013.jpg

Now the bag in the bottom left is going to be the most difficult part of the install while working on the back of the sled. So we will start there!

Start with attaching the airline to the tip and adding a ziptie.

Stage1Upgrade019.jpg

Now to locate where this plate goes you will need to go underneath the rear part of the turbo and locate and remove the plate that looks like this.

Stage1Upgrade018.jpg

For me it was extremely hard to get the bolts out, I ended up stripping one almost out completely. Don't worry about saving the bolts, you are provided new ones.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Once removed you will see this.

Stage1Upgrade020.jpg

Now from there you will mount the plate with tubing going to the left. The tubing will run down the left side of the sled and then run on the outside of the fuel tank but underneath the plastic as seen below. (Remember directions are as you would sit on the sled)

Stage1Upgrade021.jpg

Now from there the line just runs up the left side of the sled and will end almost right where the current BOV sits.

With that done now we need to remove the current waste-gate.

Premium Features